Ohio's Name Change Resolution to AAPA

aimyhtixela,

I like to thank you for inquiring about the supposed Ohio resolution to the AAPA HOD, however; as one of the main authors of this resolution I’d appreciate if you use the appropriate vernacular when referring to any proposed resolution regarding this issue. And I apologize because I have had a pet peeves about this issue since we 1st began discussing it back in the 1980s. This proposed resolution does not address a “name change” it addresses the “professional title”! My name is John, my professional title is “Physician Assistant”.

To address your issue, the OAPA Board of Directors just recently approved the draft resolution on January 18, 2018. The proposed resolution has not been submitted to the AAPA because the WisconsinAPA has been working on a resolution of their own regarding “title change” and was considering either joining Ohio as cosponsors or submitting their resolution to the AAPA HOD as well. The deadline for submission of proposed resolutions is March 14, 2018. Technically, proposed resolutions submitted to the AAPA HOD are not considered official until they are approved by House Officers. I don’t think it’s fair for me to share with you the content of Ohio’s proposed resolution until we hear back from Wisconsin. Stay tuned!

I agree with John on the terminology.  Wisconsin has just responded to John so stay tuned.  I am purposely keeping you in suspense!

Paula (from Wisconsin)

long time lurker. finally made an account to follow this.

7 hours ago, jdtpac said:

I like to thank you for inquiring about the supposed Ohio resolution to the AAPA HOD, however; as one of the main authors of this resolution I’d appreciate if you use the appropriate vernacular when referring to any proposed resolution regarding this issue. And I apologize because I have had a pet peeves about this issue since we 1st began discussing it back in the 1980s. This proposed resolution does not address a “name change” it addresses the “professional title”! My name is John, my professional title is “Physician Assistant”.

interesting you say that. I got a couple very vague emails about this from WAPA Washington that used "name change" but I agree that I like "professional title" better too. please keep us posted!

Guest HanSolo

Not to put the cart ahead of the horse here, but let's theoretically say this moves forward and the AAPA approves a "professional title" change. I'm not going to speculate on what that change is. I'm curious as to what happens after that? Does the state chapter move forward to their respective state legislatures to request amendments to current laws? I'm not familiar with these type of political processes. 

This will take a couple more years for sure.  As you all know something worth working for takes time, effort, gonads, persistence, passion, perseverance, and a meeting of the minds.  So Stay Tuned.

Resolutions are not due yet to the HOD so no one will see them until a few weeks or so before the AAPA meeting in May.

That's the rules. 

In the meantime start discussing this with your state chapter delegates to AAPA.  If they are in the dark about the title issue you can provide an educational session for them.

Encourage your state chapter to support.   The only way PAs  ever get anything accomplished is when state chapter members roll up their sleeves and work for the future.

I expect by the time this all passes and states start to modernize the title I will be retired.  But it will be worth it. 

Miaow,

The supposed title is not a secret, because there is no title which has been proposed at this time. As you may be aware, during the 2017 AAPA House of Delegates meeting in Las Vegas, the delegates approved the policies/concept of Optimal Team Practice (OTP). Over the past 6 months or more, AAPA Delegates from multiple state constituent organizations have been discussing the appropriateness of our current professional title as it pertains to OTP. The delegates from Ohio drafted a resolution to address this issue, which would be submitted to the AAPA 2018 HOD in New Orleans. At the same time, Wisconsin was also discussing the possibility of drafting their own resolution. Ohio Board of Directors recently approved the draft resolution on January 18, 2018. This draft resolution was shared with Wisconsin and several other state organizations. The Wisconsin delegation, after reviewing the Ohio resolution, requested to be a cosponsor for the Ohio resolution rather than writing a separate resolution of their own. Several other states have expressed an interest in possibly being cosponsors on the resolution. The deadline for submission of the resolution to the AAPA HOD is March 18, 2018. Wisconsin and any other interested state chapter has been given until March 1, 2018 to notify Ohio if they would like to join in as cosponsors to the resolution. This is the reason why we’re not sharing the contents/concept of the resolution until each of the state chapters interested in cosponsoring have made their decision or make recommendations for any changes to the resolution.

I apologize for the long explanation, however I thought I had made that clear earlier. Having multiple states cosponsor resolutions is not the usual process so this is the reason why concrete information has not been shared with the general PA population. Thank you for your interest in this issue. Take care.

Jdtpac,

Thank you so much for the effort. 

The Medical staff office lady who handles my re-credential paperwork asked me if I am "currently" going to medical school. She has NO idea what I do in the emergency department. She has no idea I caught a patient with aortic dissection or managing a septic shock patient while placing a central line. It's not her fault. "Physician Assistant" does not sound very professional.

We need a more "Professional" title for OTP.

I'm sure 'Paula' must be in WI?  I was recently at the WAPA meeting in Oak Creek WI.  One of the members (sorry, don't remember their name) briefly discussed the name/title change proposal in WI.

Keep in mind, I am 100% behind it, but I am 0% involved in it at this point.

I thought they told me/us that the proposal was going to the MD organiztions in WI first, so that they knew, and would be 'on-board' with the 'change'.  This seemed like a great idea to me, making the proposal to the WI legislature (if/when needed) much more likely to pass on the first attempt.

If/When AAPA does make the 'title' change, will it even have to go to the state legislatures?

-Thanks,

Todd

The short answer is yes..it will have to be done state by state by state over time. We can all agree on a title and it can be endorsed by AAPA and passed in the HOD but our current titles are enshrined in all our respective state practice acts.

Assuming no resistance (which is a big assume) it is simply getting a legislator to sponsor a modification to existing enabling legislation that would leave everything the same except the title. It is a very simple process but, when different groups with competing interests are involved, nothing political is simple.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:06 PM, jdtpac said:

aimyhtixela,

To address your issue, the OAPA Board of Directors just recently approved the draft resolution on January 18, 2018. The proposed resolution has not been submitted to the AAPA because the WisconsinAPA has been working on a resolution of their own regarding “title change” and was considering either joining Ohio as cosponsors or submitting their resolution to the AAPA HOD as well. The deadline for submission of proposed resolutions is March 14, 2018. Technically, proposed resolutions submitted to the AAPA HOD are not considered official until they are approved by House Officers. I don’t think it’s fair for me to share with you the content of Ohio’s proposed resolution until we hear back from Wisconsin. Stay tuned!

On 2/3/2018 at 3:04 PM, Paula said:

I agree with John on the terminology.  Wisconsin has just responded to John so stay tuned.  I am purposely keeping you in suspense!

Paula (from Wisconsin)

Sincerest apologies, John. I was hearing this from the end of a long grapevine and the exact words uttered were "Ohio name change resolution" hence my curiosity. I am very excited about this though and hope this resolution passes. Thank you (and Paula) for your contributions to the profession!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 5:19 PM, kps64 said:

HOD voted on employing a marketing firm to search and evaluate titles for the profession. Once the information comes back, I guess the info will be discussed further... 

I think there may be a task force on that ......

ROFL right......

Archived