Did Orgo/Biochem help you in PA school?

Hi all. I need some advice from current PA students.

I start PA school in the fall. Last week a great temporary job opportunity came my way that I really don't want to pass up, as it will be my last chance to make some decent money until 2015. The job would end a few weeks before classes begin.

The problem is...

I am in the middle of taking an Orgo & Biochem class which would interfere with the job. Since this class NOT a requirement for my PA program, I am very tempted to drop it and work instead.

The only thing keeping me from dropping it, is if the Orgo/Biochem background will help me with pharmacology in PA school.

Your thoughts??

Thanks very much.

If it is not a required course you might as well take the job imo. Little of what you learn in your course will probably directly relate to what you study in PA school, and everything that you need to know to get through your PA program will be taught while in PA school. Earning a little extra cash could help the financial situation, which never hurts when you are taking on considerable debt.

Hi all. I need some advice from current PA students.

I start PA school in the fall. Last week a great temporary job opportunity came my way that I really don't want to pass up, as it will be my last chance to make some decent money until 2015. The job would end a few weeks before classes begin.

The problem is...

I am in the middle of taking an Orgo & Biochem class which would interfere with the job. Since this class NOT a requirement for my PA program, I am very tempted to drop it and work instead.

The only thing keeping me from dropping it, is if the Orgo/Biochem background will help me with pharmacology in PA school.

Your thoughts??

Thanks very much.

O-chem, No. Biochem, Yes. Particularly if your program includes a biochem class as part of their curriculum.

My second exam in PA school was essentially Biochemistry. It will likely help you as a foundation for learning pathophysiology and pharmacology. I was certainly glad I had a background in it when drug or disease mechanisms were described.

Is it more important than the job? Only you can decide that.

It depends on the curriculum of the biochem course as well i suppose. I was memorizing how to draw all of the amino acids and DNA structure, as well as some very specific enzymatic reactions... needless to say that didn't really come up. There were bits and pieces that were relevent to what I learned in PA school, but I could have learned it in PA school just as easily.

I think everyone here makes some good points. The curriculum in my program included a biochemistry class that was separate from everything else. An undergrad biochem class would have been extremely beneficial. BUT......biochem really had very little influence on my ability to pass pharmacology. So, again, if your program curriculum does NOT have a separate biochem class, then I doubt you will need it.

Took 1 year of OChem with lab - slight help in understanding cell biology.

Took 1 quarter of cell biology - slight help in understanding pharm and patho at the molecular level.

Took 1 quarter of biochem - minimal help.

My program required the OChem and biochem, but frankly, really makes no difference at all in my course work.

I'd work.

I took both, and I enjoyed taking both. But neither have helped me in obvious ways in PA school. Maybe there has been something subtle that I haven't detected. Pharm is an incredibly difficult class at my school, but like I said I don't think my biochem class helped me though it.

Archived