Senior Moment

Seeing nothing but continuous snot/cough this week and had a moment while charting a patient where I couldn’t remember if I even examined the patient after getting distracted talking about something else. Had someone call/complain about asking too many questions yesterday but that jogged my memory about the mystery patient. Anyone else had something similar? I have a room on hold at the memory care center for me.

Can't say I've ever forgotten to examine the patient, though I can say I've forgotten to examine the bit I was supposed to be interested in because they said something that sent me into a rabbit hole for some reason.  Haven't had a complaint about asking too many questions except to my face ...usually by people who saw Golden Arches outside instead of the White H.

SK

We have a visit page in a box prior to the visit; after I see the patient, I fold it in half.  That way, I at least know I put it in my pocket. I'm hoping that one of the nurses lets me know that the room is still occupied.  Usually the patient opens the door and says something very unpleasant. 

So, the person who thought you asked too many questions would presumably be ok with a PE?  CHF?  Pneumonia?  I would like to say that boggles my mind, but unfortunately, it doesn't, and this is after I reviewed a person that I initially saw for scabies, they didn't like that, she saw a colleague, who said the same thing, she came back, saw someone else, and- also scabies.  Each time, accompanied by derogatory comments about the previous provider.

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

So far my senior moments have been charting in the wrong chart and printing the discharge summary 5 times.

I have considered a handout with my "you have a cold" speech written on it so I could save myself 3 or 4 hours a day giving the same talk.

This is what I have as well but they obviously don't read it since they come back in 3 months with the same darn thing.  Another reason why I can't wait the couple of years to get away from the human population where I swear no one will take any responsibility for themselves.

4 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

This is what I have as well but they obviously don't read it since they come back in 3 months with the same darn thing.  Another reason why I can't wait the couple of years to get away from the human population where I swear no one will take any responsibility for themselves.

This is hilarious, so true and something I think to myself most days I practice....especially when I did Urgent Care, you have to have the patience of a saint to deal with cold season.  

Yes, I have had a couple senior moments at the old age of 41, charting in the wrong patient chart was one of them, I don't know who hasn't done that at some point?   

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:38 PM, jlumsden said:

You also posted this three times.  :)

Ha!!

I don't recall if I have ever forgotten to examine a patient.  But I have seen so many similar looking tonsils, throats, noses, ears that I seriously question which exam finding was whose.  Same for lung sounds.  By the time I get to my 30th patient in the day, it all blends together.

Archived