Unsolicited Medical Advice

Say for instance you see someone out in public wearing shorts or something and they have (what appear to be) numerous Kaposi sarcomas all over their legs and face. Based on what you know about the person, or the social/cultural/economic/etc. context of the person, you have reason to believe that person may not be aware of what that may likely represent. Do you say something? Or at least give them a firmer nudge than "Hey man, that looks bad! You should make an appointment somewhere!"

Do you ever give unsolicited medical advice? From a public health standpoint, is that ever a medical provider's business if they aren't actually that person's medical provider?

I told my kid the other day to "knock it off or I was going to klunk her in the head!"  Probably not the medical advice you're thinking of.

The answer is yes.  I would say something and recommend they visit their PCP.  Now, you questions implies "would I tell a person with HIV / AIDS they have symptoms."  Delicate subject to discuss in public, but I hope I would find a way to be helpful.

I have struck up conversations with folks in public after noticing something off. 

Mentioned a limp to one lady asking if she was in pain or needed any help. She had a flexion contracture in one knee from severe OA. She didn't know why her knee wouldn't move. Asked her if she knew there were things that could help. She didn't. All the old people in her family walked that way. Gave her a local ortho name. Hopefully she got a TKR and is walking better now.

Commented on a cough that sounded HORRIBLE in a child and told Mom I was a medical professional and that cough sounded like whooping cough. Asked if she had it checked out. Mom seemed receptive.

Mentioned a cough in another setting and got told to Sod Off. 

Performed the Heimlich at least once as the family panicked and didn't know what to do. 

If one person gets better or avoids catastrophe - ok, I helped. 

Hardest ones for me are those that are "cancer colored". Folks who just look like cancer - not sure if they know it or not. Want to make sure they are addressing it or comfortable with the inevitable outcome when they look that way. 

Hardest eavesdropping is false info or myth about things such as diabetes, HIV (the "gay" thing), or other diseases or scandalous BS on TV. My overwhelming desire to correct stupidity has to be checked sometimes because some folks just don't want to hear it.

Heimlich/CPR not withstanding... I would never offer unsolicited medical advice to a complete stranger. There health issues are none of my business and I wouldn't want it to be. I don't want dentists telling me I need to floss more often, or stock traders telling me I need to invest, or insurance agents telling me I need to buy life insurance. For all you know that guy has had a full workup and is being treated for XYZ.

A close family member or friend with a suspicious lesion? Child of a friend with whooping cough? Sure. Complete stranger? Nope.

Many years ago I chewed tobacco. I remember quite vividly a stranger who claimed to be a dentist admonishing me for putting in a dip in a public restroom while citing the cancer rates, etc. Was he correct? Absolutely. I quit and am very glad I did. Was his unsolicited advice appreciated? Not at all. In my experience strangers don't want to hear your advice, warranted or not (obviously barring emergency circumstances as mentioned above).

How would you feel if you had your brokerage app open on your phone and someone looked over your shoulder and claimed to be a financial advisor and said something to the effect of "Hey, that ETF is terrible and your funds look weak, you should probably meet with your financial advisor"? Appreciation wouldn't be my first emotion. 

Guest ERCat

If I am in a conversation already with a stranger, I might mention something. For example I was at a cafe today when a dude started chatting me up about his AAA surgery and I shamelessly asked him if he has had the black discoloration under his fingernail checked out because it could he melanoma. But I probably wouldn't walk up to someone and make a suggestion if they didn't talk to me first. 

As an aside I wonder what the liability issue might be if you give unsolicited advice? No established relationship with you or an SP. Lets say you tell them something..anything...and it turns out to be wrong but you have cost them money for "an unnecessary evaluation" and pain and suffering from the fear and stress you induced.

People are crazy and you just never know how they will respond. I think I wouldn't say anything unsolicited to a stranger.

If I was to give someone advise and I have before, I don't go up and introduce myself, provide my credentials, and contact information.  So, there is no liability, IMO, for making a suggestion to have something looked at.  I'm not giving formal medical advice/consultation.  If they choose to get it looked at and it costs them money, then that was their choice. 

Only did this once

was getting an order of food or something like that

person servicing me had a very obvious skin cancer (as obvious as melanoma can be). 

Mentioned off the cuff that they "should show that skin lesion to their primary care"

They were slightly taken back - and now that I am typing I remember it was a female with a low cut chart one - but after a brief moment of blushing they thanks me and said they actually already had and the doc was "watching it". 

No idea why a PCP would be "Watching a 3-4 cm dark, irregular bordered, city multi colors in it" but they were....

that is my only unsolicited advice

have piped in a few times on tic bites and Lyme disease in a conversation...... usually alleviate fears and provide education and not specific advise. 

Archived