2017-18 Application Cycle

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WonderWall said:

Two unrelated questions:

Does anyone want to share what kind of HCE/PCE they had at the time of application? I'm curious about what the program is looking for in this respect.

Also, any insights into whether these are open file or closed file interviews?

Thanks all!

I was a CNA for a primary care clinic working in the back with patients taking medical history, blood sugar, A1C, and vitals! Now I'm a Clinical assistant at a children's hospital 

2 hours ago, WonderWall said:

Two unrelated questions:

Does anyone want to share what kind of HCE/PCE they had at the time of application? I'm curious about what the program is looking for in this respect.

Thanks all!

I have about 1500 hours as a CNA on a med-surg floor, and about 2000 and counting as a medical assistant at a family care/urgent care practice. 

Interviews last year were what LA_RN said. Campus tour, 3 15 min interviews: 1 personal with an alumni, 1 academic, and 1 clinical. We spent a lot of the waiting time with current students, so we were able to ask a lot of questions. 

2 hours ago, WonderWall said:

Two unrelated questions:

Thanks all!

Sure! No problem:

PCE

- Behavioral Health Counselor for a Chronic Disease Management Service (working with people on their habits that complement or sabotage their medical treatment - nutrition, exercise, stress management - all the non-clinical aspects of health)

- Volunteering as an English-Spanish Interpreter and helping with Triage at a free clinic for the uninsured in the rural county where I grew up.

HCE

- Analyst, Researcher, and Database Manager at said Chronic Disease Management Service

- Volunteering as an Administrative Assistant at said free clinic.

- Researcher at a Research Group that studies health and wellness in individuals with acute and chronic physical disabilities.

3 hours ago, WonderWall said:

Two unrelated questions:

Thanks all!

The two interviews with faculty (academic and clinical) are open file but the alumni interview is closed file. 

Don’t freak out if you haven’t heard anything yet, some people don’t get their invites until much later as people start to decline. 

There is not really a preference for instate vs out of state. I’m a first year and my class has about 50 in state and 30 out of state. 

Congratulations to everyone who has received an invite so far and don’t give up hope yet if you haven’t heard anything!!

12 minutes ago, mlm0058 said:

The two interviews with faculty (academic and clinical) are open file but the alumni interview is closed file. 

Don’t freak out if you haven’t heard anything yet, some people don’t get their invites until much later as people start to decline. 

There is not really a preference for instate vs out of state. I’m a first year and my class has about 50 in state and 30 out of state. 

Congratulations to everyone who has received an invite so far and don’t give up hope yet if you haven’t heard anything!!

Can you tell me what a closed file interview is?

1 hour ago, MaryFred said:

Can you tell me what a closed file interview is?

It means they haven’t seen your app and don’t really know much about you. The alumni interview is mostly just to make sure you have people skills, can hold a conversation, etc. all of the interviews are pretty laid back in general though! 

2 minutes ago, mlm0058 said:

It means they haven’t seen your app and don’t really know much about you. The alumni interview is mostly just to make sure you have people skills, can hold a conversation, etc. all of the interviews are pretty laid back in general though! 

That's awesome, no preconceived notions!! :)  I am beyond excited and feeling truly blessed to have received an interview....I feel like a child on Christmas morning!! LOL

9 hours ago, WonderWall said:

Two unrelated questions:

Thanks all!

Approx. 12000 hours of HCE/PCE at the time of application submission as a military medic.  I actually just came off active duty last week and am now a civilian.  

Some of that time was spent as a direct care provider (mostly when deployed on a small team with no other medical support) and some of it was spent as a medical planner/analyst and doing medical consulting for my team in an embassy setting.     

19 minutes ago, TacMed said:

Approx. 12000 hours of HCE/PCE at the time of application submission as a military medic.  I actually just came off active duty last week and am now a civilian.  

Some of that time was spent as a direct care provider (mostly when deployed on a small team with no other medical support) and some of it was spent as a medical planner/analyst and doing medical consulting for my team in an embassy setting.     

Same here. Military medic ~5000 hours 

Good news for those who still haven't heard back yet: I work at the UAB School of Health Professions (where the PA program is based), and this morning was able to get another report confirming what we already thought - that they aren't finished sending out interview invitations yet.  So for those still waiting, stay hopeful (and patient...though it's hard...I'm right there with you).

Good news for those who still haven't heard back yet: I work at the UAB School of Health Professions (where the PA program is based), and this morning was able to get another report confirming what we already thought - that they aren't finished sending out interview invitations yet.  So for those still waiting, stay hopeful (and patient...though it's hard...I'm right there with you).

Thank you for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, SanFranciscodeQuito said:

Thank you so much for this! I’ve been in a funk but am trying to stay so hopeful!! 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, TacMed said:

Thank you for your service!

Archived