2017-18 Application Cycle

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious but does anyone know many many interviewees will be at each session? I thought I read that they’ll interview about 290 which means each session would have about 36 applicants if my math is right. Also I’m guessing there will be some intersection between the AM and the PM session. Just really curious how the logistics will work out.

"Today we sent our last invitations to interview. Decline letters will be sent out via postal mail in the next couple of weeks."

- A department faculty/staff member I spoke with today.

So for those of you still waiting, sorry.  It will be prudent to move on and focus more on other applications. I'm right there with you in feeling the pain, but I hope your dreams to study and practice medicine are realized with another program (MD, DO, PA, CRNP, etc.), even if it takes time.  This is my 3rd time applying after being waitlisted at every school I interviewed at twice, so it can take time, but the dream and the service and the purpose are worth it, and I pray no one who got rejected loses heart.

13 hours ago, Carson83 said:

Any interview invitees have any suggestions on how to prep for this thing? I haven't been to a formal interview in 5 years so kinda nervous on whats to come. Good luck to everyone!

are you AM or PM? Ill be there in the AM group, & I'm starting to freak out!

13 hours ago, Carson83 said:

Any interview invitees have any suggestions on how to prep for this thing? I haven't been to a formal interview in 5 years so kinda nervous on whats to come. Good luck to everyone!

Be honest and open. Be yourself.  I am currently a third year that will be graduating in December. All of your other accomplishments got you the interview.  I believe personality and honesty during the interviews get you a seat in the class.  For my academic interview the first thing he said to me was, "So you failed some stuff."  I was like, " I sure did! But.... if you notice I did go back, re-take those classes, and did much better."

I interviewed last year- it was very laid back & fun! No, seriously, FUN. So don't stress! 

For those of y'all asking how many are at each session, I don't know the exact number but it was a lot- like maybe 20-30 for AM & 20-30 for PM x 5 days. Numbers don't matter though, just do you lols. & for ex: AM, they split you into two groups- one does interviews first while other does the writing exercise & goes on a tour/meets current students. Director presents in morning & then both AM & PM groups eat lunch together in one big room. 

Good luck to everyone! It was very chill. coming from someone who feels they must know everything before showing up - there's really no way to prepare for the essay part, or the interviews at that. They just want to see if you're a personable person. why pa? why not NP/MD? why UAB? all very casual/simple. Its only 15min/interview so there's really not many questions. it was so laid back I swear it was conversation that you'd have in an elevator. try not to freak out. the Essay is much like the GRE format issue task deal. can't really prepare for it except to have a general layout on how to attack it. from what I was told its more of just to make sure you can form sentences. They told us we would hear back in 2 weeks (from the time all interviews are finished).. but id take that with a grain of salt.. theres a lot of interviewees & only 80 spots.

Thanks to everyone for all of this information!!! It was very helpful. I will be interviewing in the PM on November 7th. I am nervous, but also excited. UAB is my top choice!! I will be arriving tomorrow night and staying at the Double Tree by Hilton. Let me know if anyone else is staying there and wants to take an Uber over to the interview together on the 7th!

1 hour ago, UTMA91 said:

Thanks to everyone for all of this information!!! It was very helpful. I will be interviewing in the PM on November 7th. I am nervous, but also excited. UAB is my top choice!! I will be arriving tomorrow night and staying at the Double Tree by Hilton. Let me know if anyone else is staying there and wants to take an Uber over to the interview together on the 7th!

I did the doubletree as well and it is about 2-3 blocks away walking distance! 

53 minutes ago, mariargreene said:

So anxious! No one has heard anything right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe we are supposed to hear by tomorrow, but there were four more groups to go last Monday and Tuesday.  However, a lot of the current students said it was more likely to hear back next Wednesday!

Archived