Scheduling Conflict

How do you handle schedules with physician extenders (PA & NP) in your practice? Does everyone work the same or so you work it out so everyone is satisfied?

I was the only PA at my practice for 2 yrs. I work 8:30-5, which ends up being 6 with auths, calls and results to review. So about 47 hrs weekly.

A new NP started 6 months ago. Who worked her schedule to be four days, 8-6 with a day off.

A new PA started 2 weeks ago and now also wants 8-6 with a day off because she's used to it. We're creating the schedule for ourselves.

My issue is I didn't even know this was an option as I worked my ass off keeping this practice running working OT without even thinking about it. With an 8-6 schedule they get 2 hrs without patients to do the things I scramble to do in OT.

The NP mentioned that I should have two 8-6 shifts to switch off with the new PA so that it's even and fair. I briefly mentioned it to the new PA but said she could only maybe spare one day because she wants to do this teaching job she used to have but currently isn't doing. This doesn't make sense because she wasn't hired with an 8-6 schedule.

Should I stand my ground? I hate office conflict and prefer for people to get along. However, it seems like I'm getting the short end of stick when I'm technically the senior PA.

Um, Why don't you just go to HR/Boss and tell them you want admin time like your counterparts, and you want the extra day off too? Tell them you didn't know it was an option. Did you already do that, they said no? Remind them that you have been there for 2 YEARS! I cant imagine they would decline, if so, something is wrong.

Sounded like it's a lack of leadership, practice policy or sets rules issues.

MLP leadership. That maybe the solution. Or HR coming up with specific policy regarding scheduling.

You indicated that you're the senior PA in the practice. Would suggest asking to be designated MLP leader/does the scheduling.

It's not much of an HR issue. We were told to make the schedule ourselves so the practice can have the best coverage. Unfortunately there isn't another day they can manage with just two us.

I was kind of blindsided by the new PA who is very insistent and said she was going to do four 10 hr shifts with Fridays off.

It's really just a matter of speaking up. I never would have asked if she didn't bring that up. Honestly I just don't want there to be any tension or animosity with a new employee.

Your issue isn't with the new employee it is with management. They are working less than you and being paid the same. If you were hourly or on RVUs then it would be a different story. Talk to management assuming such a thing exists. Write your own schedule doesn't sound like very good management.

Working for free is bad karma. Salary or no salary you were 1.2 FTE paid as 1.0. good for them bad for you. "I did not know it was an option" sounds too childish in my opinion. If you do not respect your time, no one would. Just look at nurses and learn good things from them. Time respect and duties respect are paramounts of nursing.

It's not much of an HR issue. We were told to make the schedule ourselves so the practice can have the best coverage. Unfortunately there isn't another day they can manage with just two us.

I was kind of blindsided by the new PA who is very insistent and said she was going to do four 10 hr shifts with Fridays off.

It's really just a matter of speaking up. I never would have asked if she didn't bring that up. Honestly I just don't want there to be any tension or animosity with a new employee.

The NEW PA demanding Friday's off is not your problem...... if multiple people want the same day then seniority rules, or come up with a rotation....

My issue is I didn't even know this was an option as I worked my ass off keeping this practice running working OT without even thinking about it. With an 8-6 schedule they get 2 hrs without patients to do the things I scramble to do in OT.

You said it yourself: your issue isn't what anyone else has, or gets, or is doing. Your issue is you took it upon yourself to work harder out of the goodness of your heart, to build up the practice, and didn't think about it. That's great if you're a part-owner of the practice, or if you get bonuses based on the overall performance of the group.

Otherwise, I guess you can enjoy the satisfaction of a job well-done, because you now seem to have a healthy practice that's able to hire more salaried employees, and smart ones too since they have advocated for schedules that work out for them. You really need to talk with HR, or the practice owner/s, or whoever, and you needed to do it a long time ago. Second best time to get this done is today.

Archived