Reciprocity Agreements for Licensure

I have tried to look online and have struggled to find anything.  I am in the process of changing jobs which requires me to move from Indiana to Michigan.  I will be applying for a Michigan license, but was wondering if there is any reciprocity between IN and MI which means I could start working sooner.

Does anybody have information regarding where to look to find out this information?

Thanks in advance!

Why is there no reciprocity across all the states?  Has to boil down to money.  I can see background checks, even fingerprints but why can't we go from state to state and work?  Medicine is medicine  isn't it?  We don't practice differently state to state.

Why is there no reciprocity across all the states?  Has to boil down to money.  I can see background checks, even fingerprints but why can't we go from state to state and work?  Medicine is medicine  isn't it?  We don't practice differently state to state.

I actually called the licensing board and got my answer.  There is no reciprocity.  The reasoning I was given is that it makes it more difficult for someone to forge documentation or continue practicing medicine if they have been disciplined.  My understanding is that reciprocity used to exist, but this change mostly came about as narcotic abuse became more ubiquitous - but that is anecdotal.

mgriffiths,  I believe the licensing board gave you a scripted answer.  If there was a national bank for all of us where our "records" could be accessed to check for fraud, abuse, etc. that would cover all of their "concerns".

So, this is my vision for the BEST version of a national certifying body for PAs.

If we get a new certifying body, I believe it should encompass a data base for PAs showing state histories, NPI, national certification and be an advocate for PAs becoming licensed in all states.

My mum was in dentistry and there was some reciprocity amongst states about getting licensure and teachers got a break, especially military spouses - to get them licensed easier when they had to move amongst states. 

If we are pushing for a better certifying body we should go ahead and add all the stops - make it what we want and NEED. 

States may still do their thing and try to make it painful but a national service could help streamline the service.

Just my semi-optimistic 2 cents........

Archived