Hello guys!

I really need some help. I am a new grad, passed my board last February 2017, got licensed in California, Virginia, pending in Massachusetts. I have been working with 4 different recruiter agencies and nothing so far. One of the locum agency I work with, told me it will be a piece of cake to get me a position once I am licensed somewhere. 1 month after my first 2 licenses, still nothing. I applied to all positions in Virginia area that accept new grad, but so far nothing. I receive at least half a dozen of emails from all kind of recruiter agencies each day, still, nothing seems to be coming my way. All I've got so far is one interview, but no job offer. Is there anything that I should be doing that I am not? I tailored my resume to match each application I submitted in April, because I was told it will increase my chances, but still nothing. Help please!!!

I don't know what recruiters you have been working with but there are way more bad ones than good ones. many will just shotgun your resume out to everyone and hope something sticks. They don't really work at finding you a position. Recently Comp Health got a rave review on another board so you might give them a look.

Something isn't adding up.  Are you looking for just locums jobs as a new grad?  Because contrary to what recruiters tell you, that's very rare.  I've not personally heard of that ever actually happening - several of my classmates tried this, so far as I know, none came through.  

Everybody's email is full of "$165k to start! new grads accepted! flexible shifts! major metropolitan! sign on bonus!" emails.  They are bogus.

Hello guys!

I really need some help. I am a new grad, passed my board last February 2017, got licensed in California, Virginia, pending in Massachusetts. I have been working with 4 different recruiter agencies and nothing so far. One of the locum agency I work with, told me it will be a piece of cake to get me a position once I am licensed somewhere. 1 month after my first 2 licenses, still nothing. I applied to all positions in Virginia area that accept new grad, but so far nothing. I receive at least half a dozen of emails from all kind of recruiter agencies each day, still, nothing seems to be coming my way. All I've got so far is one interview, but no job offer. Is there anything that I should be doing that I am not? I tailored my resume to match each application I submitted in April, because I was told it will increase my chances, but still nothing. Help please!!!

A few thoughts:

1) this isnt your fault, but this scenario illustrates what saturation will do to the job market.

2) you are doing just about everything right. Shotgun your CV to recruiters and job boards. Check university job boards, corporate job boards, and state PA association job boards. It still may take some time. It took me over 3 months to find a job as a new(er) grad, and that was over 4 years ago. If you are truly flexible for the next couple of years, be open to rural jobs.

3) The downside to the above approach is you will be getting accosted by recruiters via phone and email for YEARS to come. Get ready to blacklist numbers once you are hired.

4) depending on your level of desperation/motivation, you might consider a residency.

What kind networking have been doing? Have you contacted rotation sites? Reached out to classmates? Does your state of interest and school have a job board? What about job board on your field of interest's association's website? Have you considered a residency?

I moved out of the state where I went to school, for family reasons. I considered a residency, but for most it's passed dateline for application to start this year. If I want to go that route, as far as I know, I may have to wait until the end of the year or 2018 to start one. Well if I cannot find something until that time, then I will consider. My network here in Virginia is zero. I am hoping to get something going through volunteering with the MRC, and other similar groups. I volunteered for something this weekend, will see what happen!

State PA association job board

AAPA

Monster, HealthECareers, PracticeLink, CareerMD.com

Large health companies in your area like Tenet that have hospitals.

Look at a google map - then go to that hospital website - often Tenet or similar will have multiple hosp

My school was on the opposite coast - I considered cold calling the local PA school, see if I could catch something or get on an email list.  Worst they can do is say no.

Guest ERCat

Fresh out of school I did not get ONE job interview or offer through a recruiter or posted job listings. All of the offers I got were from ME seeking out a position from the places I wanted. I saw a great urgent care opening a bunch of new facilities but seem like a good place to work, so I walked in and asked for a job interview. Got that job. I really wanted to work in the emergency department so I emailed The CEO of my local ER group many times over and over and finally got a job offer there. I also had interest in working at this drug rehabilitation center and simply walked in and told him I was interested, and they gave me an interview and also offer me a job. What I'm trying to say is you can't sit around waiting for the fish to bite. So many of these places don't even know they need to hire a PA - or they just haven't gotten around to making job postings. Pick where you want to work and make it happen. Don't just sit waiting for it to happen to you.

• Administrator

No good job ever comes through a recruiter: people don't pay money to recruiters to find them someone if they have an attractive job with tons of people battering down their door already.

All decent jobs, and a lot of crappy ones, come from job POSTINGS.  Job boards, either PA specific or general, where the cost is at most a couple hundred bucks to post a job.

All good jobs come from networking with people you know.  I've had four PA jobs now, three of which I still have.  The first two I responded to ads.  The most recent two came about in 1:1 conversations with the people who had the authority to hire me.

So no, you HAVE NOT done everything right, no matter what the above posters have reassured you.  You can't go back an un-do this, but future new grads can do two things you didn't do:

1) Get your last rotation(s) in your target job marketplace, no matter what it takes to do this.  Rotations generate job offers.

2) Network in your target job marketplace.  That place where I got those two jobs?  Lived here, except for PA school, for 17 years now.  Practiced in the same county for 4.5 years to boot.

Also job fairs.  PracticeLink had one here about a month ago and it was great and totally worth it, even for an introvert who hates leaving the house.  I am still filing away followup emails as fallout from that one hour of walking around collecting business cards.  Got to meet the actual "APP" recruiters for several large health systems.  

Plus the food was pretty good and I got lots of cool swag (pens that light up, stress balls and other nonsense).

Once you use a website to search for a job, and have your list of jobs there, bookmark that page.  Do this for each of the websites and save the bookmarks.  I have like 8 or 9 bookmarks that are direct search pages results for "PA - specialty - mystate - mycity".  I can search these sites in about three minutes, did it twice a day.  

If you are looking at multiple specialties, just change it real fast or do separate bookmarks. 

Also set up a separate email for the job search and hit every "notify me when another similar job is posted" button I could push.  

Any job was posted, I knew about it within a few minutes, or as soon as the next time I banged through those bookmarks.

No good job ever comes through a recruiter: people don't pay money to recruiters to find them someone if they have an attractive job with tons of people battering down their door already.

All decent jobs, and a lot of crappy ones, come from job POSTINGS.  Job boards, either PA specific or general, where the cost is at most a couple hundred bucks to post a job.

All good jobs come from networking with people you know.  I've had four PA jobs now, three of which I still have.  The first two I responded to ads.  The most recent two came about in 1:1 conversations with the people who had the authority to hire me.

So no, you HAVE NOT done everything right, no matter what the above posters have reassured you.  You can't go back an un-do this, but future new grads can do two things you didn't do:

1) Get your last rotation(s) in your target job marketplace, no matter what it takes to do this.  Rotations generate job offers.

2) Network in your target job marketplace.  That place where I got those two jobs?  Lived here, except for PA school, for 17 years now.  Practiced in the same county for 4.5 years to boot.

I agree with you but I think the OP is doing everything right, right now. It's kinda too late to network.

Recruiters are definitely worthless. They get hired because a) the job itself sucks and has high turnover, b) the job is in a nowhere town, or c) the job is in a high-need area, which means economically depressed, very rural, or both.

In light of this, OP, I'd probably rescind my recruiter advice. No harm if you've already done it though. You just need a halfway decent job.

When I graduated from PA school 30 years ago, employers came to us.  None of us had to "look" for a job.  Within 6 months of graduation, I already had multiple offers, so did everyone in my class.  The fact that so many new grads are having a hard time finding work tells us something.  I refer to my previous post in this thread.

I'll say it again: too many new grad PAs.  

I think this is very region based so I wouldn't necessarily say too many new grads.

I graduate in two weeks and already have a contract signed.  I had multiple job offers and was actually able to be pretty picky and negotiate because I had other offers to compare it too.  This same scenario is similar to what almost all of my classmates had.  We are scheduled to take the PANCE in the next two weeks and almost all of us already have jobs, have offers, or have interviews set up.  I have not seen a new graduate struggle to find a job as stated in the OP and our program is located in a pretty major city with several PA programs in the surrounding area.

Thank you guys for all your advices, Cg02186 is right, this is all because I had to relocate before starting looking for a job. With all your advices and help I am confident I will get something soon. I started visiting the hospitals in my neighborhood today, I will continue to use all the different strategies you guys gave me until I get a descent job offer.

Again thank you very much, I really appreciate the time you spent sharing your experience with me.

As a new grad myself, this is perplexing. I just moved from Virginia, and had two offers before I left. Both were obtained without any networking (I did not rotate there or have provider connections). Something seems off...

I agree with others that recruiters proved to be mostly worthless in my job hunt. I would often get calls or emails about the "perfect" position for me, only to discover a few minutes in that the position required 2-5 years experience or was looking for an NP. Long story short, many recruiters don't even dive into your resume, they spam call en masse and hope their needs fit you.

What fields are you applying in? Granted I was looking for FM, but there are a TON of FM PA jobs out there taking new grads. I ended up taking a position in the boonies that pays 20k more than any other offer I got.

I'm wondering if there is something else holding you back. Narrow field search or city search? Are you willing to go rural? Any red flags in your history?

Guest ral

Avoid locums/recruiting companies until you have gained some work/world experience. You will need it to wade through their BS.

Do the search yourself.

At first, FM was not an option I was willing to consider, most of my searches are targeting hospital jobs, ED, ICU,...because of my experience before PA school (RRT in Columbus, OH) A lot of hospital positions are looking for 2-3 yrs experience, now I have to look for other options, states, anything that accepts new grads.

Guest HanSolo

Expand your search to include all open positions. Just because you work in FP for 1-X amount of years after graduation doesn't mean you can't transition to a hospital job later. 

I think there are jobs out there - perhaps just not in the field you are targeting at this time. If you're that dedicated to a particular field then I would consider casting a much wider geographical net. 

Archived