PAs snubbed by Houstonia Magazine

A local magazine is calling for votes for their Top Doctors magazine. In their words, "Any physician or nurse practitioner in our eight-county region with a valid Texas state medical license may participate in our survey, nominating one or more Houston-area doctors." Nice how we are left out, again. Because of course and "assistant" cannot be a healthcare provider.

At the end of their survey request, they state "For further information on Houstonia and its Top Doctors methodology, email doc-survey@houstoniamag.com." I have already emailed them. Take a second and shoot them a professional, educational email. Short or long, it doesn't matter, just that they hear from us and know we ARE healthcare providers.

If this doesn't make the case for a name change and FPAR, I don't know what does.

We had the exact same thing happen in Seattle. I contacted the magazine running the program. They explained, "Doctors and Nurse Practitioners are medical providers that can be measured by their patient's satisfaction. The physician's assistant assist these medical practitioners and therefore satisfaction with the physician's assistant would actually be a measurement of the performance of the Doctor or Nurse Practitioner they assist." (It has been a few years so this is my paraphrase). I was livid. But, perception is stronger than reality. Just ask our White House.

http://sagacitymedia.bmetrack.com/c/v?e=AD7612&c=1FB5D&t=0&l=108C38AE&email=rxsuyxwmDR6KI0619BOfX0uaybszxX55

image3681484.jpg

It's time for Houstonia's fifth annual Top Doctors survey, and Houston’s best-selling magazine is again seeking your help.

Last year’s Top Doctors issue was enormously popular with our 520,000+ readers, acting as a valuable resource for those seeking a physician for themselves or someone they love. For this year’s survey, we are once more gathering top-doctor nominations from medical professionals throughout our area, and we’re asking all of them one question: If you or a loved one needed medical care, who’s the doctor you would call?

Any physician or nurse practitioner in our eight-county region with a valid Texas state medical license may participate in our survey, nominating one or more Houston-area doctors. For your convenience, our database contains a complete, updated list of the more than 16,000 physicians in Harris, Montgomery, Waller, Fort Bend, Brazoria, Galveston, Chambers, Liberty and Austin counties. From your nominations will come Houstonia’s list of Top Doctors in 66 medical specialties.

So what do you say? If you or a loved one needed medical care, who would you call? All nominations must be received by March 31, 2017 and will be kept anonymous and unattributed, used only as data to determine our Top Doctors list, which will be published in the August Houstonia.

Cast your VOTE here. For further information on Houstonia and its Top Doctors methodology, email doc-survey@houstoniamag.com.

Regards,

image4169309.jpg

Diane Caplan

Group Publisher, Houstonia

Stunning people still defending the name "Physician Assistant".  HOW has this not been changed?  I guess I leave it up to the next gen of PA's to force the hand of our gutless leaders.  No one in the last 20 years has had the courage to do it.  Maybe Millennialls will...

I emailed them and this was their response.

"The survey is set up for both physicians and PAs — did you enter your license number? Thanks for getting in touch and please let me know. "

Interesting.  This was their response to me:

Hi April, 

Houstonia certainly didn’t intend to rebuff our community of PAs. While our annual list is a list of doctors, doing another list is a possibility in the future. We appreciate you getting in touch with your feedback.

Sincerely,

Catherine Matusow

Executive Editor

Interesting.  This was their response to me:

Hi April, 

Houstonia certainly didn’t intend to rebuff our community of PAs. While our annual list is a list of doctors, doing another list is a possibility in the future. We appreciate you getting in touch with your feedback.

Sincerely,

Catherine Matusow

Executive Editor

I got the same email back too, they also added they were NOT featuring nurse practitioners and only doctors. 

Just got this.

Thanks for your message. First, I want to say that I appreciate our community of physicians’ assistants and the important work they do. Second, we have realized that our e-blast encouraging our physicians and our PAs to vote in our survey had some incorrect information in it. Physicians and PAs are invited to vote in our survey. Your license number should work. Another email is set to go out today and we have now corrected this information. We apologize for the oversight, and thank you for letting us know

Just received another reply this morning:

Hello — this is an update to my earlier note. 

Thanks for your message. First, I want to say that I appreciate our community of physicians’ assistants and the important work they do. Second, we have realized that our e-blast encouraging our physicians and our PAs to vote in our survey had some incorrect information in it. Physicians and PAs are invited to vote in our survey. Your license number should work. Another email is set to go out today and we have now corrected this information. We apologize for the oversight, and thank you for letting us know. 

Sincerely,

Catherine Matusow

Executive Assistant

I want to say thanks to everyone who sent an email.  We can make small changes on a local level which will eventually translate to a national one.  Great work!

Archived