What kind of medical issues do you have?

It's nice to feel a sense of community in our brokenness.

I, too, have celiac disease.  This took many years to diagnose and a gluten free diet has resolved all symptoms.

A lumbar fracture in 2005 left me with significant spinal nerve injury and chronic pain.  I've been able to defer surgery and have never taken an opioid for this.  Celebrex is a miracle drug for me, and I work out aggressively, spend time in the pool, do spinal strengthening exercises weekly, and have had extended acupuncture.

I do wear cheaters when I suture, biopsy, or I & D a Bartholin gland, but not at most other times.

I am also a chocoholic, but not at all ready to seek treatment for this.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has happened to all of us makes us who we are - hopefully for the better.

If patients know we are human and have faults or dents or what have you - I think it makes us more approachable and real to them. Maybe they listen a bit more when they know just a little. 

A doc I knew a long time ago always asked the students about their backgrounds to get an idea of who he had on his team that month for rotations. He told me later that he really liked hearing "real" stories from the students instead of the Beaver Cleaver story of growing up middle class, going to high school, going to college and going straight to school. He liked folks who flipped burgers, farmed and drove combines, had been a chef before med school (a friend of mine who was Bruce Springsteen's chef for a while) and had held "real jobs". He said it made for a better doc or PA. I think he is right.

So, pack your baggage accordingly. Don't live in it and empathize wholeheartedly!

Off to work - Monday in flu and mumps land!!

Thyroid cancer that was taken care of surgically, but leaves me dependent on Synthroid. Mild anxiety that progressed once I started practicing as a PA and is now managed with some low dose fluoxetine. IBS that seems to have improved on fluoxetine. Occasional migraines, but thankfully I get an aura and can stop them with Tylenol, ice cold water, and peppermint oil on the temples and neck or with Tylenol and sleep if I am at home. Ibuprofen works better but sometimes makes me nauseous, so I minimize that. Chronic back pain- probably from being overweight and getting old. No meds for that- yoga, walking, and hot baths keep it in check.

I am very sorry to hear that. I thank you and the many others for the out standing service. At least you acknowledge that you have PTSD and I am sure you are attempting to seek help. There are two reasons why I started this post; 1. Curious to know what everyones struggles are (physical and mental health) and 2. Are we practicing what we preach. 

Oh, I also suffer from insomnia. I can easily stay up for 48 hours without caffeine or any stimulants. Therefore, if I need to be up early, you will find me taking 50mg of Benadryl or 30mg temazepam– extreme cases... both. 

Dono,

I commend you on your post and for sharing and you did it for a reason.  Your coagulopathy, insomnia, etc. obviously can be a huge struggle not only as a PA student but as a future provider.  Use your personal conditions to empathize with your future patients. 

Providers (PA, MD, NP, DO, whatever) are human beings with human bodies that fail.  We treat others, just as we ourselves sometimes need treatment.

I don't (nor does anyone else here on this board) know you.  But I would advise you to be careful if you want to be a great PA. You have some issues.  So will your future patients.  So does everyone here on this board.  So does everyone, period.

Your future role as a PA is to be therapeutic.  Your role is to improve health outcomes.  Take that seriously.  Use your own struggles to empathize, but also to demonstrate how to overcome.  Posting to a message board to find others in similar situations is not a bad idea at all.  But don't let your struggles define you.  That's not good for you or for your future patients.  

Defeat your struggles.  Beat the hell out of them and then use your victory to help others. 

Interesting topic.

Very slight (subclinical, if you will) hypothyroidism. "In recovery" from anorexia and bulimia in my early 20s. Other than that, I've been blessed with good health.

Of note, I think it's sad that mental illness is basically a huge obstacle in obtaining a license in my state. Makes me think that if my eating disorder ever flared up badly again, I would be afraid to seek help because I wouldn't want any "mental illness"on the record.

I have severe multi drug resistant HTN. I was diagnosed with HTN at 14 and has just continued to get worse the older I get. I am currently on max dose of 6 meds and have fair control at this point. Have seen endo, nephrology, sleep medicine, no secondary causes found. I find myself being more aggressive with HTN treatment in my patients, and slightly less empathetic when they complain of side effects from meds. 

In my early 50's, but act 20's.  A little self-diagnosed untreated ADD, and some GERD.  Otherwise great!

No offense, you are a boy - I think you all have a touch of ADD. I am married to a 56 yr old adolescent who likes garage "toys".

The toys get more expensive as you "grow up".

But, don't grow up - we tend you like you guys the way you are. 

My request for Valentine's Day from my husband - drill press.......

Go Play!

Dono,

I commend you on your post and for sharing and you did it for a reason. Your coagulopathy, insomnia, etc. obviously can be a huge struggle not only as a PA student but as a future provider. Use your personal conditions to empathize with your future patients.

Providers (PA, MD, NP, DO, whatever) are human beings with human bodies that fail. We treat others, just as we ourselves sometimes need treatment.

I don't (nor does anyone else here on this board) know you. But I would advise you to be careful if you want to be a great PA. You have some issues. So will your future patients. So does everyone here on this board. So does everyone, period.

Your future role as a PA is to be therapeutic. Your role is to improve health outcomes. Take that seriously. Use your own struggles to empathize, but also to demonstrate how to overcome. Posting to a message board to find others in similar situations is not a bad idea at all. But don't let your struggles define you. That's not good for you or for your future patients.

Defeat your struggles. Beat the hell out of them and then use your victory to help others.

My sleeping issues don't really get in the way too much. My health issue is something that is second nature. Things could be worse and I'm lucky to be where I am.

I'm also an adult child and will never grow up. I'm still a child to many people I work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curiosity - statistic as in "I won the lottery"? Or something worrisome......

I believe he/she is referring to anticipating a medical problem in the future. We all have problem, demons, struggles— it's life. It doesn't consume us, it doesn't hinder us. We learn to cope and appreciate life. We apply story to hopefully help others and understand them.

With that being said, I'm here to talk to anyone if they need it. You can PM me and I'll give you my number.

As for the men who are compartmentalize. I was raised by my mother and grandmother, thus more connected to my emotions. It helps to tell others about the issues. Doesn't mean your any less than a man. You're stronger for doing it.

Best,

Christopher Dono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense, you are a boy - I think you all have a touch of ADD. I am married to a 56 yr old adolescent who likes garage "toys".

The toys get more expensive as you "grow up".

But, don't grow up - we tend you like you guys the way you are. 

My request for Valentine's Day from my husband - drill press.......

Go Play!

.....so......its not just my wife that thinks this.....

​Just last week my son and I were messing around when my wife had enough and said "I swear, sometimes I think I'm living with two teenagers" (evidently, she was not impressed with our rough housing). To which I responded... "we have another kid?".... anyway, turns out my sofa is not as comfortable as I thought it was.  

I'm 44 and I take no meds other than the occasional Motrin. I do wear reading glasses.  I noticed my near vision going while suturing as a student; had difficulty finding the thread.  I was having headaches prior to that; figured it was just stress of school...it was from eye strain. Got readers, problem fixed.  The voices I just ignore. 

I'm 44 and I take no meds other than the occasional Motrin. I do wear reading glasses.  I noticed my near vision going while suturing as a student; had difficulty finding the thread.  I was having headaches prior to that; figured it was just stress of school...it was from eye strain. Got readers, problem fixed.  The voices I just ignore. 

I'm sure the voices will go away now - they were telling you where the thread was... :-D.

SK

Good topic! I'm 41 y/o and been a IM P.A. for 10.5 years when I finally accepted my dx's (I dx'd myself and then consulted with my docs for tx). Anxiety/OCD; Sertraline has made such a difference and I wish I wouldve been on it as a teen. HTN (secondary to anxiety/OCD exacerbated by work, ha!); love my Metoprolol ER. IBS-C; Linzess and Sertraline (once again should have been on this long ago) made such a difference!

Having med issues lets me share/relate to patients!

Dono, you have my admiration! I wish you health and awesome PA career!

Archived