What kind of medical issues do you have?

I have Ulcerative Colitis, associated arthritis and adrenal insufficiency.  Histologically diagnosed as UC, however, I have had esophageal, gastric and duodenal ulcers as well so my GI doc thinks it really is crohn's.  I've had my gallbladder removed as well as a small portion of my duodenum and a small portion of my colon.  Currently on Imuran and Entyvio.  Seems to working pretty well.  Humira worked for a time but then stopped - as did the mesalamines and methotrexate, etc.  I am off steroids and I promised myself if I ever have to go on them again I will just have my entire colon removed and hope for the best.  They make me a nut.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic! I'm 41 y/o and been a IM P.A. for 10.5 years when I finally accepted my dx's (I dx'd myself and then consulted with my docs for tx). Anxiety/OCD; Sertraline has made such a difference and I wish I wouldve been on it as a teen. HTN (secondary to anxiety/OCD exacerbated by work, ha!); love my Metoprolol ER. IBS-C; Linzess and Sertraline (once again should have been on this long ago) made such a difference!

Having med issues lets me share/relate to patients!

Dono, you have my admiration! I wish you health and awesome PA career!

Thank you! Hopefully will be getting into a program this August if things go well.

I have Ulcerative Colitis, associated arthritis and adrenal insufficiency. Histologically diagnosed as UC, however, I have had esophageal, gastric and duodenal ulcers as well so my GI doc thinks it really is crohn's. I've had my gallbladder removed as well as a small portion of my duodenum and a small portion of my colon. Currently on Imuran and Entyvio. Seems to working pretty well. Humira worked for a time but then stopped - as did the mesalamines and methotrexate, etc. I am off steroids and I promised myself if I ever have to go on them again I will just have my entire colon removed and hope for the best. They make me a nut.

Wow. I'm very sorry to hear that (I'm sure you're sick of hearing that too). If you were to have your colon removed, would you opt to have a j pouch? My GI and colon rectal surgeon suggest if I have HGD, that might be the route I should take rather than a colostomy bag. Beats having colon cancer any day of the week. Overall, I want my quality of life to be 'normal'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! Hopefully will be getting into a program this August if things go well.

Wow. I'm very sorry to hear that (I'm sure you're sick of hearing that too). If you were to have your colon removed, would you opt to have a j pouch? My GI and colon rectal surgeon suggest if I have HGD, that might be the route I should take rather than a colostomy bag. Beats having colon cancer any day of the week. Overall, I want my quality of life to be 'normal'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess, although the occurrence of pouchitis is fairly high and that would be awful to go through the surgery and continue to have essentially the same issues.  In my early 20s they tried to remove my colon during an especially bad flare, but I was not at all ok with the colostomy and refused.  Looking back I wish I had just done it then.  But like I said, this Entyvio infusion seems to be working pretty well so I'm hopeful.

I have spoke to many individual who are thankful for their ileal-anal pull through and they have pretty much normal lives, besides 4x BM/day.  Having an experienced surgeon is very important. It's an option if you need it.

A former nurse of mine nearly died from her UC - bad GI doc ignored a lot. She ended up with 4 unit transfusion and TPN after being rescued by the best procto surgeon I have ever met and he saved her life. Three stage colectomy and Jpouch with takedown. The nurse on the floor at the hospital is also one of his patients and had the same -- he walks every patient through it and they are amazing people. She is alive 10 years later and happy with her outcome - good quality of life and she is here for her grandkids. It has to be right for the person but I have seen some great outcomes. 

Fascioscapulohumeral Dystrophy (FSHD).  It is one of the more common progressive neurologic disorders affecting approximately 1 in 20,000. 

I have pain most days and it's slowly getting worse, but I have no real weakness unless I try to reach above shoulder height or try to do sit-ups.  I'm thankful - I can still exercise vigorously and lift, I still work as an EMT and work a busy internal medicine/wound schedule so I'm doing alright, all things considered. 

The drill press is coming.

His birthday is close to Father's Day so he always wants ONE BIG present - was a giant compressor one year, a welder the next.

He wants a car hoist........

Heaven help me - now he needs a bigger shop.

The drill press rocks!!!!!

Of course he needs a bigger shop. The fact that you even question the fact that he needs a bigger shop defies reason..... every guy needs a bigger shop. if he does get a bigger shop I want to put him to work to lobby my wife for a bigger shop for me. lol 

• 3 weeks later...

So I posted on here on 2/11/17 about my AI hearing loss. Sadly on 2/20/17, while I was away at a medical mission in Asia I suffered 2 grand Mal seizures (no seizure hx) and was hospitalized. I came home about 2 weeks ago with a new Dx of epilepsy and a Mos supply of Depakote. I'm trying a 2nd med (keppra) since Depakote was horrible and totally intolerable to me. I have been seizure free since 2/20 but the AEs even on the Keppra are tough. Asthenia, irritability, lethargy etc. I have not yet gone back to work-was supposed to today but did not feel well enough. I also lost my driving privileges which I don't mind as I do not want to cause an accident. But now must rely on uber or the kindness of others for rides. My hearing loss was one thing but this is by far worse in my opinion. Also being hospitalized in a 3rd world country was no picnic either but I guess I'm glad to be alive!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Archived