accreditation, teach out..??

I am supposed to start a program in January. I have recently learned that the parent institution's accreditation has been changed to probational. The PA program itself has continued ARC accreditation. However, if the institution were to lose its accreditation, the PA program would as well (before I graduate). I realize they could teach out any matriculated classes. Is there any obligation for them to do this? ie if the faculty know the program would close, why would they want to stay? wouldnt they find new jobs to leave asap? Any information would be very appreciated!!!

from what I read it it has been on warning for the past two years (the maximum consecutive time on warning) for "failed to demonstrate compliance with Core Requirement 2.11.1 (Financial resources and stability), Comprehensive Standard 3.10.1 (Financial stability), and Comprehensive Standard 3.10.3 (Control of finances) of the Principles of Accreditation". They met this december and changed it to probation, which is more severe, suggesting they didn't fix at least some of the aspects. They will meet dec 2017 and can either extend probation 1 more year, revoke accreditation, or reinstate it. But the max probational period would end before my class would graduate. I think around 20,000 total students

So...ask....them?  Seriously.  Ask the PA program what their plan is for worst case scenario.  If you feel like they don't have one or are giving you the run around, don't go there.

Ask ARC-PA what happens in that situation.  They can't just abandon students - there has to be SOME kind of plan in place.  Granted, if faculty isn't getting paid, they absolutely will walk (who could blame them).  

There is no real issue if you start a program that is on probation; all students who have started get to finish. From your original message, it sounded like the college itself was losing its accreditation with someone other than ARC-PA. That is a different story.

The question I would have is is the college itself solvent.

Basically the institution was on warning through the regional accreditor,which can only be last two years. -after two years rather than removing the warning they changed it to "probation with good cause" which means the institution showed significant improvement and plans to completely resolve the issue but hadn't yet completely resolved it.

Being the worrier I am, I am thinking worst case scenario. The pa admin (no accreditation issues through arc-pa) said worst case, they would lose regional accreditation either dec 2017 or 2018 which would also revoke arc-pa accreditation. Bt since they had it when my class starts, we could be taught out, graduate, sit for pance, etc. does this sound right? If so, is there any legal obligation by arc to teach us out? I would be afraid of faculty (for good reason) leaving before we could finish..

I guess that I would be worried too. If the school loses its accreditation from the regional accreditor, faculty might indeed flee, or perhaps another local institution would "buy" your program.

I might want to keep some other applications out there, even if you lose one semester's worth of tuition to leave this shaky place.

Good luck.

Archived