Probation program near home vs Continued Accreditation program OOS

I have been fortunate to get accepted to 2 programs.

Program 1: 10 mins away from me, but is on probation. I'd be able to live at home and save money. Tuition is $98k.

Program 2: Continued-accreditation, but is out of state. I'd have to move across the country and the tuition is $130k, plus living expenses.

I'd like to go to program 1 to save money and stay close to home, but they are on probation. They have had continued-accreditation for 20+ years and only got on probation last year. They are a great health sciences school with many other successful programs, which is why I am hopeful they will get their continued-accreditation back upon next year's review.

Even if program 1 loses accreditation, I would still be able to finish the program and sit for the PANCE since I matriculated when it was still accredited(probation) right?

People are telling to choose the program 2 bc they are continued-accredited, but I come from a low-income family and being able to attending PA school near home will help my family immensely.
Edited by Krazy
grammar

Yes, since the program was accredited, even if on probation, while you matriculated, you will be eligible to complete it and sit for PANCE.

Program 2 would have to offer something pretty amazing to be work $32K in additional tuition plus the increased cost of living, likely another $50-100K to be worth it.  Plus, if you plan to work near where you currently live, program 1 likely has clinicals and other contacts which would be beneficial in your job hunt.

While some programs are definitely better than others, your real learning comes in the 1st 3-5 years of working.

• Administrator

ARC-PA has been handing out probation pretty liberally lately. I'm not entirely sure why, but schools like you described as #1, with a whole ecosystem surrounding the PA program, are going to be the least likely to ultimately lose accreditation: they have other programs and a reputation to uphold. The PA program isn't the first or only graduate level health sciences program, but a bigger part of the university's overall portfolio. A significant number of PA programs are started at schools without that infrastructure because they're lucrative. A good school I'm quite familiar with was briefly placed on probation a few years back because too many of their pediatrics rotations weren't with board certified pediatricians, but rather with family med PAs and NPs. It's an arbitrary and fixable problem, and I suspect your school #1 is in a similar boat.