I wanted to start a post for this campus. I submitted my application in late May and got a call yesterday from someone confirming some prerequisites. It made me feel like we may be getting news soon! I'm really interested in this program!! Any interview invites yet?

• Upvote 1

I wanted to start a post for this campus. I submitted my application in late May and got a call yesterday from someone confirming some prerequisites. It made me feel like we may be getting news soon! I'm really interested in this program!! Any interview invites yet?

I was told they start giving out interview invites the first 2 weeks of august

For those with invites to interview.....  Which genetics course did you take?  The only "human" genetics course I could find at an undergrad level is only offered in the spring, which won't satisfy NOVA's December deadline.  Thanks!

For those with invites to interview.....  Which genetics course did you take?  The only "human" genetics course I could find at an undergrad level is only offered in the spring, which won't satisfy NOVA's December deadline.  Thanks!

I took PCB 3063, which is known as "Genetics" at my university. I took it during the fall semester, however, every university is different. Good luck! Maybe look at other schools in your area, such as community colleges. 

• Upvote 1

jmgordon, thanks!  That's what I have PCB 3063.  Was a little discouraged because I reached out to a counselor at the Ft. Myers campus and was told it had to be human genetics.  Assume it won't be an issue if you have received an invite for an interview!  Thanks for the info and good luck!

• Upvote 1

This campus is terrible.....

-Alumni

I live probably 20 minutes away, and have visited more than once and definitely did not get this impression. Why do you say that?

I agree with Bigmistake. I just graduated from the Fort Myers campus and it is terrible! Many of the passionate faculty members have left or resigned from their positions (Professor Hawkes, Professor Outten, Dr. Knutson, Dr. Guzman) within the past year. Many of the professors who are left do not care about you at all... http://healthsciences.nova.edu/pa/fort-myers/faculty.html Below are a few details about a few professors.

Professor Patch: Program Director

During my time there, there were many students cheating during the didactic year and the faculty didn't really address the problem with the urgency needed. Prof. Patch finally had a meeting with us and stated they would only change ½ of some exams because it would take too long to write new exams. As a student her comments rubbed me the wrong way, but her statement did not surprise me because she is a big part of the current problem.

Dr. Paola: Medical Director

Dr. Paola is generally a good guy. He will teach you ethics, medical literature, pathophysiology and some other topics.

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Frederick_Paola_2441498/

Yolanda Perkins: Clinical coordinator

Yolanda’s job is to secure and finalize rotations for the students. She did her job poorly and many times, students did not have their rotation finalized or they found out at the last moment. She is unprofessional and does not care about your clinical experience. She has an interesting history… click on the links below. I hope you find comfort knowing she has access to your personal information.  

famm.org/yolanda-flournah-perkins/

https://www.amazon.com/Consequences-Obedience-Better-Than-Sacrifice/dp/061549286X

• Upvote 5

I agree with Bigmistake. I just graduated from the Fort Myers campus and it is terrible! Many of the passionate faculty members have left or resigned from their positions (Professor Hawkes, Professor Outten, Dr. Knutson, Dr. Guzman) within the past year. Many of the professors who are left do not care about you at all... http://healthsciences.nova.edu/pa/fort-myers/faculty.html Below are a few details about a few professors.

Professor Patch: Program Director

During my time there, there were many students cheating during the didactic year and the faculty didn't really address the problem with the urgency needed. Prof. Patch finally had a meeting with us and stated they would only change ½ of some exams because it would take too long to write new exams. As a student her comments rubbed me the wrong way, but her statement did not surprise me because she is a big part of the current problem.

Dr. Paola: Medical Director

Dr. Paola is generally a good guy. He will teach you ethics, medical literature, pathophysiology and some other topics.

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Frederick_Paola_2441498/

Yolanda Perkins: Clinical coordinator

Yolanda’s job is to secure and finalize rotations for the students. She did her job poorly and many times, students did not have their rotation finalized or they found out at the last moment. She is unprofessional and does not care about your clinical experience. She has an interesting history… click on the links below. I hope you find comfort knowing she has access to your personal information.  

famm.org/yolanda-flournah-perkins/

https://www.amazon.com/Consequences-Obedience-Better-Than-Sacrifice/dp/061549286X

All of this aside, would you say that you feel prepared to practice as a PA after going to this school? No matter what school you go to there are going to be cheaters and they will eventually fail when they get into the real world. 

All of this aside, would you say that you feel prepared to practice as a PA after going to this school? No matter what school you go to there are going to be cheaters and they will eventually fail when they get into the real world. 

No, some information taught during our didactic year was outdated. During rotations, I and many of my friends had a lot of bad rotations. We did have a few  good rotations, but the way the clinical team (Professor Coombs, Yolanda & Linda) is handling the rotation site, I feel they would probably lose them to FGCU.

• Upvote 4

I will be interviewing October 17th AM! Based on the comments posted recently, I would still attend the interview to get a feel for the program but it is worrisome to me. I appreciate the insight very much and will be careful with any decisions made moving forward.

• Upvote 2

Alright lets get a few things straight... NO school is perfect; everyone will always have stuff to complain about. Go to any FAPA conference and talk with students they will all complain about how bad their school is or how little they think their school cares. You're asking a bunch of type A personalities what they like and if things aren't exactly how they imagine then they automatically think their school is run by a bunch of high school drop outs. I'm not saying my school is perfect, but I'm also not saying its the next Auschwitz like what some people think. And yes, I'm a current student in my second year. Plain and simple: you get out what you put in. I bust my butt in this program, I stay out of the petty drama that sometimes consumes people, and I recognize that the school is actually trying. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I interviewed... I was given the 3rd degree during my interview and it wasn't because the faculty "sucks," its because medicine isn't a cake walk; you're going to be stressed and you're going to be forced to make some hard choices. The point of grilling you and stressing you out in school is ultimately to give you the testicular fortitude to NOT fold like a lawn chair when you get out in practice. And for that Im thankful. Im proud of my education and any day of the week I'll go toe to toe with any other graduate from any school in the state guaranteed. Just like you shouldn't take the other comments as factual, my statement is just my opinion. The best advice I can give anyone reading this is to close your computer and get out and actually meet graduates from these programs and get their opinions. Anyone can talk a big game over a keyboard. Good luck everyone.

• Upvote 3

I will be interviewing October 17th AM! Based on the comments posted recently, I would still attend the interview to get a feel for the program but it is worrisome to me. I appreciate the insight very much and will be careful with any decisions made moving forward.

Agreed, the comments are definitely concerning  :/

As a current student, I can say the negative opinions posted here do not reflect the majority at all. As a matter of fact, very few people feel this way but the ones that do tend to be the most "vocal." I keep in touch with friends at various PA programs (as well as other grad programs) and every single school has its flaws. When your entire life revolves around school its possible for you to blow those flaws out of proportion in your mind, similar to how spending every waking second with a person will make you more irritable towards them.

This school was not my first choice. Knowing what I do now, it definitely would have been.  I thought I wanted to go to the Ft. Lauderdale campus or FIU, but once I interviewed at all these places I came to the realization that a smaller campus has so many benefits. My experience with the professors has been exactly the opposite of what has been described here. They have been extremely personable, approachable and taking feedback very seriously. I have never seen student course reviews considered as much as they are here... They genuinely seem to care about both your academic and (within reason) your personal life. Some controversial issues have come up and I think they've been very fair and transparent about them.  The other poster was more than correct by saying what you put in is exactly what you get back.

Bottom line: Interview, ask lots of questions, and decide what works best for YOU. Don't obsess over the opinions of others... Including mine! 

• Upvote 2