• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those of you who have turned down your spot at this school, do you mind sharing why? I am accepted, but some of the things I saw/impression faculty made during my interview concerns me. After reading the posts from alumni, I'm very concerned this campus is on the road to going on probation for its accreditation. Some of the alumni posts struck a chord with some of th red flags I noticed at the interview. So far it is my only option and I can't figure out if it is worth the risk or if I should just reapply next year and wait out for other offers. Does anyone know how ARC-PA defines "matriculation"? Is it when you enroll or does it encompass the duration? Or just graduation? If NSU FtM being accrediated when I first enroll covers me through the PANCE, I may take the risk.

Those of you who have turned down your spot at this school, do you mind sharing why? I am accepted, but some of the things I saw/impression faculty made during my interview concerns me. After reading the posts from alumni, I'm very concerned this campus is on the road to going on probation for its accreditation. Some of the alumni posts struck a chord with some of th red flags I noticed at the interview. So far it is my only option and I can't figure out if it is worth the risk or if I should just reapply next year and wait out for other offers. Does anyone know how ARC-PA defines "matriculation"? Is it when you enroll or does it encompass the duration? Or just graduation? If NSU FtM being accrediated when I first enroll covers me through the PANCE, I may take the risk.

During my interview, I had asked the faculty about the upcoming accreditation and what would happen if the school was put on probation. They said that we would essentially be grandfathered in, allowed to finish our two years AND still be able to sit for the PANCE.

Those of you who have turned down your spot at this school, do you mind sharing why? I am accepted, but some of the things I saw/impression faculty made during my interview concerns me. After reading the posts from alumni, I'm very concerned this campus is on the road to going on probation for its accreditation. Some of the alumni posts struck a chord with some of th red flags I noticed at the interview. So far it is my only option and I can't figure out if it is worth the risk or if I should just reapply next year and wait out for other offers. 

I had a really great interview experience here and genuinely liked the school. I turned down the school because the program I am currently in started in January and that means an earlier graduation and less time working 12 hours a day as a scribe. I really liked both schools( the program I'm in I loved), the faculty at NSU were kind and my interview was actually fun. I didn't see anything concerning, though I did hear one particular interview panel was extremely tough.

What the alumni said is concerning, but everything online needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Remember that it's the people who get burned that come back to "revenge rate."

I have a friend who is in the program. She says that she likes it. No program is perfect, there is always going to be something. Being put on probation does not mean they are going to lose accreditation. If I recall correctly, Keiser recently went on probation and I think it's unlikely that they'll have a problem reestablishing it. If they did lose accreditation, you can still sit for the PANCE, as Cazam said. 

My advice: take the spot. There's no guarantee that you'll get in somewhere else next year and more applications means more money. No matter what you'll be a PA. There are so many people on this forum dying for an acceptance.

My advice: take the spot. There's no guarantee that you'll get in somewhere else next year and more applications means more money. No matter what you'll be a PA. There are so many people on this forum dying for an acceptance.

Thank you! Trust me, I've applied 4 times over 8 years to PA school, so I know what it means to badly want a spot. I think I just got a little spooked not fully understanding how accreditation effects the PANCE. I may email the NCCPA just to get the policy in writing and some clarification on how they define "matriculate" just to be sure. I met someone at an interview who went to an unaccredited program and he had to start totally over after completing it. I think it was an unusual case, but I would never want to go through that. I am so excited for an acceptance I was trying not to let that cloud my judgement, but you're right, I know I'll study and pass even if I had the worst instructors and clinical just because I'm determined. I definitely don't think NSU was the worst! No where close! I'm sure I'll happily accept if I don't get an offer from my first choice in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

A ton of positive changes have occurred between our class (c/o 2018) and the class above us alone. While I cannot say anything for the experiences of people who have graduated in the past (I am not trying to discredit anyone's experience), I do not regret my choice. Feel free to message me with any questions. 

• 3 months later...

Can any current students tell me what it's like there? How are campus and staff?

The campus is small, but I like it for that reason. So far the staff has been great and the professors are very intelligent and helpful. Easy to get around the school and navigate. Everyone in class knows everyone already and it's only been 2 weeks. The overall "feel" of the school is awesome and I'm excited for whats to come! I hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

My friend got in last year with a 3.2 overall and science

That's great to hear!

I think the 3.4 science mostly applies to the Ft. Laud campus BUT I did get an interview invite already from that location for the 2017-2018 cycle and I have a 3.2 science and overall.

While Nova has 4 PA programs and all are under Nova's College of Health Sciences, each program is separately accredited and separately managed.  Though similar, the admission requirements are not the same, nor is the curriculum.  

That's great to hear!

I think the 3.4 science mostly applies to the Ft. Laud campus BUT I did get an interview invite already from that location for the 2017-2018 cycle and I have a 3.2 science and overall.

Would you mind sharing your other stats besides gpa?

• 4 months later...

Sorry guys I know this post is old!

But to current students: would you guys mind sharing your experience so far with the program? For example, someone told me that there is one half day of class a week, is that true? What is the process if you fail an exam or a class? I'm just trying to get a better feel for what didactic year will be like at this program. Any details or thoughts would be appreciated :) Also if you've heard about how clinicals are going I'd love to know!

Archived