When do you begin applying for PA schools?

I'm trying to plan a timeline for myself so that I can get everything done by the time that I apply, but I'm curious as to when I should apply. 

Should I apply beginning the spring of my junior year of college and go through interviews my senior year?

OR should I apply my senior year after graduating? 

Also when exactly do most PA schools start like what month? 

As of right now, I am planning on finishing my prerequisites my senior year but I might have to push that forward. 

Ideally, I would like to start PA school right after graduating. 

Thank you!

That is very situation-dependent. Ideally you should apply when your application will be the strongest. It helps to have all of your prerequisites finished before applying (some schools allow one or two classes to be in-progress while others require that they are all complete. Still others require that you have already graduated before applying though that's not most schools.)

How are you on PCH? You'll have to determine if you want to take that extra year to gain more hours or not.

PA schools are so variable in so many application factors so I really recommend starting to look at the websites of some schools you are interested in. They all start in different months, some in May, some in August, and some in between. I'm even applying to a few that start in September.

That is very situation-dependent. Ideally you should apply when your application will be the strongest. It helps to have all of your prerequisites finished before applying (some schools allow one or two classes to be in-progress while others require that they are all complete. Still others require that you have already graduated before applying though that's not most schools.)

How are you on PCH? You'll have to determine if you want to take that extra year to gain more hours or not.

PA schools are so variable in so many application factors so I really recommend starting to look at the websites of some schools you are interested in. They all start in different months, some in May, some in August, and some in between. I'm even applying to a few that start in September.

And some start in January!  

If you have plenty of HCE/PCE, then you could apply your junior year.  I'd recommend applying your senior year and working/interviewing after you graduate.  Very few students actually start PA school RIGHT after they finish undergrad.  Definitely take a break.

If money is no issue, I think applying junior year is fine as long as your prereqs are done... IFFFFFFFFFF you will be able to take time off for interviews senior year without it affecting your grades.  If your instructors have rigid attendance policies, it's not worth the risk...  You have a very minimal chance to get accepted when applying junior year, and it's not worth jeopardizing your gpa... If you are trying to get into a top school... such as Duke, Emory, George Washington, Quinnipiac, etc., then I def think you should wait to apply until the cycle after you finish school so you have a chance to get some full-time patient care experience.

Good Luck!

Archived