Would you use a HIPAA-Complaint Messaging App?

Are messaging apps the future of healthcare communications? We have an app that acts as the "central nervous system" of healthcare communications with a channel (similar to FB messenger) that connects doctors, PAs, patients, labs, etc. on one platform. 

We've seen amazing results with our users so far in the NYC area. Shoot me an email at a.sheehy@klara.com if you're interested in seeing a demo.

PS. I'm not trying to sell anything I promise, it's free. 

Is HIPAA-complaint (essentially texting) something you would be interested in incorporating in your practice? What are some issues you currently face?

Best.

Alexis

my hospital is rolling out new iPhones to every provider in the health system to use with a mobile messaging system that's HIPAA secure; just picked mine up this week.  We can send secure texts, photos, check labs, etc. using a program called Mobile Heartbeat, plus the phone has a mobile version of EPIC for reviewing patient charts.  We were given the option of having the software installed on our personal phones, but I don't know anyone who's taken them up on this yet; better to keep work and personal separate.

I don't want any communication, of any sort, with any patient, which is not immediately available to all providers in my practice.  I chart my phone calls so we can all know what's going on.

I think we are talking about messaging apps that are used between providers and staff, not between patient and provider.

The hospital I work with has an app that nurses can use to notify providers about abnormal labs, vitals etc instead of paging. I don't really see the benefit because it drains battery on my phone and the wifi is sketchy in the building, but some providers love it because they can put orders in remotely and messages can be sent directly to nurse rather than tracking them down or calling them on their phones that only work half the time.  

The physicians get a phone allowance on their paycheck and I don't... and so I unapologetically deleted the app and haven't thought twice about it. 

The whole reason texting is a superior method of communication versus phone calls is it's asynchronous; you can carry on a conversation with a friend at semi-random intervals throughout the day, whenever one of you has a few minutes free, and there's no pressure. The downside, as anyone who has tried to have a text conversation while trying to pick someone up from the airport or meet up in a crowded bar can tell you, is that sometimes you need things to be acknowledged and sometimes you need the other person to be able to ask clarifying questions immediately.

Sending a message directly to a nurse is great, but it's no substitute for knowing the message was read, and understood, and acted upon. That's another reason why I would not be crazy about a messaging app for medical applications.

Recently I have been burned a few times with emails and texts - badly so with miscommunication and misinterpretation

I am moving back to just talking face to face, so much less misunderstanding.... Yes texting and emailing is okay, but is has it place....

Archived