pediatric physician assistant

My Peds Preceptor in school was a Colorado grad from the 70's. Her name plate on her desk read "Child Health Associate." She said it was totally a pediatric program and back in those days there were programs with specific foci. My program is still called "Primary Care Associate Program." Very cool PA history tidbit...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

today the colorado program covers adult and pediatric medicine but with a definite peds focus. you do learn enough adult medicine to pass the boards but all of the electives are peds focused(nicu rotations, etc). I thought early on that I wanted to go there until I realized that peds basically means babies. I like working with older kids who can interact, not just squeal.

PA's in peds are not too numerous, but we are out there! A few thousand. I did clinical peds/neonates for 26 years. Can check out SPAP website (PA's in Peds). We are often hospital based, and do peds & neonatal. Somewhat geographically determined - more east & southeast than far west. There is still a peds post grad program in Norwalk, Ct (1 year post PA school) - but most grads get on the job training.

Archived