"Dropping the -C"

After the PANRE disaster, I have decieded to "Drop the -C". I can't really think of a good reason to keep it. It will not affect my employment, hospital priveleges or lic. at all. Why would I want to deal with them any longer? If I need to be certified in the future, I can always take the exam then. Anyone else "Dropping the -C"

To me the cost of MOC is less than the potential costs if I am in a situation where I suddenly need it.

If I need to move to a state that requires it.

If I need to change employers and THEY require it (for example.....WA requires PANCE not PANRE...but a local facility requires ALL PAs to be actively certified).

If I do a legal case review, volunteer work and they ask if I am certified.

If my teaching appointment requires it.

Having my employer pay for the exam and studying for a week or two every 6 yrs is not a big deal. I do enough reading and meetings that the CME is equally easy.

....Unless you are opposed to the NCCPA for philosophical reasons.

Was the PANRE issue really a "disaster"? The real loss was exam prep time for those who thought they failed. I don't discount that, but I don't know if it qualifies as a disaster. It happened mid yr so no PA would have had their cert lapse.

I have been working in Ortho for 18yrs. I do not see that changing. My employers and my state do not require certification.

Studying for a week or two does not cut it for me because of my specialty. I just don't NEED to know about OB/GYN or cancer drug side effects.

If I want/need to move out of state, I can take the test at that time. I would/should know about a change like that well in advance.

Most people in my community don't know/care any ways. Several of the Surg Asst are listed as PA-C on OP reports and have gotten away with it for years.(not billed as PA-C)

And YES, I am opposed to NCCPA for philosophical reasons.

Now, Anyone know how to pick the -C off my lab jackets?

Re specialty- I'm in the same boat- I'd prefer a specialty focused exam. But this is the tool we have, as imperfect as it is.

Re sudden life changes- the reason I maintain is that they can be just that- sudden. Just like getting the post grad masters, it seems safe to keep all avenues open at all times. I keep credentials active at three facilities just in case one ship sinks.

Now, Anyone know how to pick the -C off my lab jackets?

You're in Ortho.

The scalpels are on the back table.

Due for recert #2 in 2012. Yes, the thought of letting my -C lapse has crossed my mind, but the fear of not making it through medical school without a fallback is enough of an incentive to take the damn test. Besides, I am so used to taking tests now it doesn't seem that scary anymore. I do plan to wait until late 2012 though after we've had cardio and pulm...good review for the big 3!!

Due for recert #2 in 2012. Yes, the thought of letting my -C lapse has crossed my mind, but the fear of not making it through medical school without a fallback is enough of an incentive to take the damn test. Besides, I am so used to taking tests now it doesn't seem that scary anymore. I do plan to wait until late 2012 though after we've had cardio and pulm...good review for the big 3!!

So the question is will you recert AFTER your DO?

Just for "old time sake"?....

Without the -C, you will be limited to practicing in your state and for employers who don't require it (which are getting fewer and fewer). Every hospital at which I'm credentialed requires it, which means you would be inelligible for medical staff privileges without the -C. If you don't plan to change states, and are in a stable situation that is not likely to change prior to retirement, and don't practice any inpatient, then it seems reasonable to let it lapse.

I work with two PA-Cs in EM who are working hard now to prepare for the PANRE. They are concerned that there is lots of material on the PANRE that they no longer deal with very often. Makes me grateful that my -C is easily re-certed every 5 years.

Browndog, NP-C

That right there is a demonstration in the difference in our professions.

Generalist lateral mobility vs the relative ease of locking in from the beginning.

I work with two PA-Cs in EM who are working hard now to prepare for the PANRE. They are concerned that there is lots of material on the PANRE that they no longer deal with very often. Makes me grateful that my -C is easily re-certed every 5 years.

Browndog, NP-C

em pa's see enough primary care that they should be able to pass panre with minimal to no studying, and if they take it year 5 instead of 6 in their cycle they have 4 chances to pass it....

Ok what was the great PANRE debocle?

they misgraded a bunch of exams a few months ago and told lots of folks who had passed that they failed. it took over a month for them to admit their error and release the correct scores. people who had taken panre 3-4 times and always scored at the 90%+ level were told they failed. it was a big mess.

they misgraded a bunch of exams a few months ago and told lots of folks who had passed that they failed. it took over a month for them to admit their error and release the correct scores. people who had taken panre 3-4 times and always scored at the 90%+ level were told they failed. it was a big mess.

LOL Ouch!!!!

Archived