so this is what hell is like?

Hmmm. This might sound like I am nuttier than a squirrel turd, but I am really enjoying school so far. :xD: Don't get me wrong, there's been some stress and the path paper I have to turn in on Monday is giving me fits. :heheh: Stress is part of life and I feel like as long as we don't hold on to that stress, it will turn out alright. No one makes it out alive, so I may as well enjoy the ride. I am still really looking forward to winter break, but yeah, I'm digging this!

Next quarter is supposed to be hell on wheels. We'll see how it goes! :;;D:

That about sums things up here on the Yakima campus as well :-)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just had some issues where due to new curriculum implementation, the workload was not distributed effectively. With our program the 2nd semester was always the worst (at least thats what we were told) because it was the heaviest but at least you had time to become acclimated to the program and develop study habits and stuff--get settled in; we didnt have that chance. Plus adding in outside factors (late fin aid, late charges to the account, my apt complex being jerks...so on and so forth) it just made the first part of this semester insane. I enjoy my program and love my friends but for those who have never been part of a curriculum overhaul....it is not fun being the test subjects. I will say that class of 2014 will benefit greatly from our pain lol

Hmmm. This might sound like I am nuttier than a squirrel turd, but I am really enjoying school so far. :xD: Don't get me wrong, there's been some stress and the path paper I have to turn in on Monday is giving me fits. :heheh: Stress is part of life and I feel like as long as we don't hold on to that stress, it will turn out alright. No one makes it out alive, so I may as well enjoy the ride. I am still really looking forward to winter break, but yeah, I'm digging this!

Next quarter is supposed to be hell on wheels. We'll see how it goes! :;;D:

We just finished the 1st week of 3rd quarter. Classes this term are continuations of GenMed and Pharm, plus the addition of Peds, Geri, Physical Exam, and Clinical Decision Making. GenMed is starting off with Endocrine, which so far has been an insane hodgepodge of hormones, glands, autoimmune diseases, and tumors. PE is insanely fun. CDM sounds terrifying - it's a benchmark class filled with case write-ups done in class and graded on the ddx, labs, imaging, and plan for the patient. Then the profs tally up how much money you've just unnecessarily cost your uninsured patient. We won't do the first one until after Turkey Day, so I'll have some time to re-read Harrison's (totally kidding) and buy a pocket reference (100% serious).

:)

bellajoy - we got your class picture for PA week back in October. Very cute.

:)

bellajoy - we got your class picture for PA week back in October. Very cute.

That's so funny you mention that. I take it you go to a school in the Chicago area. :)

Yeah, our crazy quarter was Clin Med II (ENT, optho, cardiac, and pulmonary), physiology I, Pharm I, Neuroscience, and physical diagnosis. Next quarter is Clin Med III (endocrine, GI, GU...with case study groups as well), more physiology and pharmacology, psychiatric diseases, and immunology. Insanity...but for now I am going to enjoy my break before it all starts again.

Rumor has it that the worst of the worst is coming up for us in our 3rd quarter. Honestly, I'm just tickled to be halfway done as well, it's all downhill from here as far as I'm concerned! LOL. Now that I know what to expect from pharm and phys, I'll be more prepared when classes start up again.

Really? They always told us (on our campus) that the summer and fall were the worst. Our programs are pretty similar, right? But, who knows....it's all rough. Maybe it's not supposed to be so bad once you hit winter quarter cause you know what to expect? All I know is we all just are getting more and more exhausted as time goes on.

Rumor has it that the worst of the worst is coming up for us in our 3rd quarter. Honestly, I'm just tickled to be halfway done as well, it's all downhill from here as far as I'm concerned! LOL. Now that I know what to expect from pharm and phys, I'll be more prepared when classes start up again.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

I had to bump this old thread. I remember seeing it before I started PA school and I thought..."it can't be THAT bad". Having just finished my first quarter I can now relate. I am relieved that I have done well in respect to grades, but I have not so well in maintaining a regular exercise schedule or getting enough sleep. There have been serious moments of doubt, moments of exhilaration, and some funny moments too - like when a buzzing helicopter outside our classroom really pissed off our professor.

• 2 months later...
I had to bump this old thread. I remember seeing it before I started PA school and I thought..."it can't be THAT bad". Having just finished my first quarter I can now relate. I am relieved that I have done well in respect to grades, but I have not so well in maintaining a regular exercise schedule or getting enough sleep. There have been serious moments of doubt, moments of exhilaration, and some funny moments too - like when a buzzing helicopter outside our classroom really pissed off our professor.

let us know about those funny moments in 4th quarter :/

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first quarter of PA school! The title of the thread says all... it is hell! My sleep schedule varied from 3-5 hrs /night, my food consisted of Chinese, pizza, frozen dinner, or no food because I forget to eat. My hair and my clothes was a mess. I did not work out. Today after finally getting 11 hours of sleep I saw a different person in the mirror... I forgot what I look like rested, wide awake, and with glowing skin! I feel like a real person again! 3 weeks of freedom and then for round two.

Does anyone find that a lot of students come to PA school unprepared for the difficulty of it, and then complain that "it's too hard" and that they "don't have any social life"? I find that really annoying because so many people are trying to get into PA school and would do anything to be in their spot, give up all their social life, and lock themselves up in a room to study constantly (like you're supposed to) and NOT complain...

Sorry you find it annoying ...too bad.....some people like spending time with their friends/family/themselves every now and then. and no, you never know how hard it is until youre there so no its not really "easy" to prepare. I've been on this board for years and communicated with quite a few from pre-pa to PA-C so I knew it wouldnt be easy, but theres nothing like immersion therapy to make things really real:O_O:. Yes I can sympathize that there are some that would give their left nut/bewb to be in my seat, but in the end a person getting there or not is not really my problem---getting through my program without making my ulcers worse is :heheh:

Oh and no, people are NOT suppose to "lock themselves up in a room to study constantly" it's not healthy and part of the reason why I had such a rough time that first semester along with the fact that the new curriculum was so lopsided that it brought several people to tears (they changed it btw....way more manageable):wink:

What I find annoying is people who like to sit back and judge others because they don't "feel the same way they do" (see what I did there? :heheh:) . Let's face it, sometimes people like to vent and it doesnt mean they are any less appreciative of where they are (although it's not like the opportunity was given to them, they worked hard to get there too, so in fact it was earned) it just means they are human and its healthy to let go of some steam some times.....its better than bottling it up and letting it dry-rot their soul. If you don't need to vent every now and then, kudos for you but no need to dump on those that do....it's a tad rude:wink:

Does anyone find that a lot of students come to PA school unprepared for the difficulty of it, and then complain that "it's too hard" and that they "don't have any social life"? I find that really annoying because so many people are trying to get into PA school and would do anything to be in their spot, give up all their social life, and lock themselves up in a room to study constantly (like you're supposed to) and NOT complain...

I haven't done that once. ;) PA school is challenging but it's not as if you have to give up everything to do it. My friends and I get together nearly every weekend to do something fun(movies, dinner, bowling, poker, etc.). We'll grab breakfast or lunch on days that we get out early and just chill out a bit before getting ready for that next exam. A person just needs to be in touch with how much time they need to invest into studying.

Oh and PS: If anyone planning to go into medicine is easily annoyed by people who complain about little things/big things/things you find insignificant/things you think they should be able to handle because you handle it so well/things that seem silly to you/so on and so forth then BOY are you going in the wrong line of work because sick people tend to complain A LOT. I mean wow.....and the parents of sick kids even worse.....get use to it

^ First time poster and to post this......I'm thinking troll.

But if not.....no I wouldn't say A LOT of students come to PA school unprepared for the rigors of the next two to three years. Are many shocked by the amount of work required? I would say yes.

I haven't done that once. ;) PA school is challenging but it's not as if you have to give up everything to do it. My friends and I get together nearly every weekend to do something fun(movies, dinner, bowling, poker, etc.). We'll grab breakfast or lunch on days that we get out early and just chill out a bit before getting ready for that next exam. A person just needs to be in touch with how much time they need to invest into studying.

Ditto. My life is far from hell.

From what I have seen so far, I think the selection committees do a fine job of deciding who is cut out for their programs. Will you feel pushed and pulled sometimes? Probably. Will you break? Probably not.

I think that just_me has the right idea, venting is a good thing and can be therapeutic. So is the support of this community.

If Zombee is a troll he/she won't last long. Positive people tend to send them back down their holes.

Who are you people who get a month off over xmas on rotations year? wow! At my school I think we get two seven-day vacations during the entire 52 weeks of rotations, the rest of the time you're working whatever schedule your preceptor wants you to. I am looking forward to the craziness and learning a ton, but also kind of hoping I am at an outpt clinic in Dec so I won't miss the holidays with my family :)

Archived