so this is what hell is like?

just kidding:heheh:

but seriously this is really intense but I know more in the last two months than I would have ever thought possible......I wish our curriculum wasnt so heavy in the front but everything after this will be more mellow and easier to handle.

Im so glad that I got into the habit in undergrad of only sleeping 4 hours......now its nothing new to me lol

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relax, do not try to pre-read or get a head start on subjects... you will do plenty of that when you start. Just enjoy the time you have with friends and family. If you "have" to read up on something, I suggest familiarizing your self with your state and national laws pertaining to PAs. Otherwise, kickback and relax as best you can. Good luck.

Welcome to the PA world. You are in for a very intense 2-3 yrs. If you have a life during that time you will be one of the fortunate few. Wait till you hit the clinical portion of your program.

I've found just about every one of my rotations have been enjoyable and very low stress. Sure some have long hours, but I'd take it over didactic any day of the week. As long as you actually learned something instead of just memorizing and reguritating during the first year, clinicals should be a breeze. Stay motivated and continue to prepare during your clnical year you will be just fine.

just kidding:heheh:

LOL no you are not.

but seriously this is really intense but I know more in the last two months than I would have ever thought possible......I wish our curriculum wasnt so heavy in the front but everything after this will be more mellow and easier to handle.

The didactic phase of any PA program is supposed to be intense. You know that. You can't build a house on a shaky foundation.

Im so glad that I got into the habit in undergrad of only sleeping 4 hours......now its nothing new to me lol

I think the fact that you have really good time management skills is also a major plus. Just_me you picked up everything and moved to another state. Don't know what your support system there is but you (like others in your situation) took on addtional stressors. You all have my respect.Just keep moving forward. It does get better. Cmon your class still has to do a YouTube viral video...lol.

I've been prioritizing sleep. It's been working. A lot of students in my class complain about not getting enough rest and I don't understand the choice they're making, or why they make it sound impossible to sleep 8 hours a night.

After the first quarter when I had settled down a little bit, I also started trying some new study methods, just for the hell of it. I've always been a solo studier and find group study sessions to be a waste of time, mostly. But I found a couple friends from class with whom I can sit quietly and study the same subject. I seem to be able to keep at it for longer when they're with me, even though we don't really talk to each other except for the occasional "look at this hilarious youtube video" break.

The second quarter has been much more intense than summer. We have at least one major exam every week, often two. People keep telling me "wait until winter" and "wait until clinicals." I suppose I can only hope that I'll continue to adapt.

For the record - although I'm studying more than I ever have in my life and have less time for myself and my family, I don't think this is hell. It's just hard.

well we had homework over the summer plus a suggested reading for genetics so that was my summer

if I had it to do over again WITHOUT having to work until I moved, I probably would have spent more time with biochem, anatomy (especially directional terms i.e. anterolaterally and this item passes superiorly to the lateral aspect of the medial boarder of the blah blah blah), maybe some med term

other than that I would have been fine.

My classes begin in January, but I know I'm in for a demanding few years. Enjoy your break, mjohnson3604!

Just curious: is there anything you wish you'd known a few months before you started that you're willing to share with me and others in that awkward in between stage?

for me the problem is that Im the only adult in the household and I have my daughter so when I get home theres tons of stuff to do, plus her, plus school....I usually do not start studying until 9 and thats during a slow week

Id say hell is a subjective term...I dont know too many programs doing full dissections in 3 months---my anatomy test (lecture and lab practical) tomorrow is over thorax/lungs, heart, pelvis/perineum, and abdomen....the last 4 dissections of the last 4 weeks....followed by a combined immunology/genetics exam .......school may not be hell but these last few weeks have been hellish for me

I've been prioritizing sleep. It's been working. A lot of students in my class complain about not getting enough rest and I don't understand the choice they're making, or why they make it sound impossible to sleep 8 hours a night.

After the first quarter when I had settled down a little bit, I also started trying some new study methods, just for the hell of it. I've always been a solo studier and find group study sessions to be a waste of time, mostly. But I found a couple friends from class with whom I can sit quietly and study the same subject. I seem to be able to keep at it for longer when they're with me, even though we don't really talk to each other except for the occasional "look at this hilarious youtube video" break.

The second quarter has been much more intense than summer. We have at least one major exam every week, often two. People keep telling me "wait until winter" and "wait until clinicals." I suppose I can only hope that I'll continue to adapt.

For the record - although I'm studying more than I ever have in my life and have less time for myself and my family, I don't think this is hell. It's just hard.

LOL no you are not. you know me so well

The didactic phase of any PA program is supposed to be intense. You know that. You can't build a house on a shaky foundation. I know I know BUT COME ON.....my bed looks like a desk at the moment!

I think the fact that you have really good time management skills is also a major plus. Just_me you picked up everything and moved to another state. Don't know what your support system there NONE is but you (like others in your situation) took on addtional stressors. You all have my respect.Just keep moving forward. It does get better. Cmon your class still has to do a YouTube viral video...lol. OH and that is so NOT happening lol

I have decided that PA education works similarly to cooking pasta.....when you cook it you take a strand and toss at a wall to see if it sticks....if it does you move on to the next phase right. Well in PA education you take a student and you throw Bates and Netters at em and see what sticks.....if enough sticks you move on to the next set of books:;;D:

I have decided that PA education works similarly to cooking pasta.....when you cook it you take a strand and toss at a wall to see if it sticks....if it does you move on to the next phase right. Well in PA education you take a student and you throw Bates and Netters at em and see what sticks.....if enough sticks you move on to the next set of books

LOL. They used to call that a "competency based" model of education.

I am not sure how old your daughter is, but I am also a mother and I know of a couple other moms in the year before me and we all find it beneficial to get to sleep at a decent hour and wake up very early to study (before our kids wake up). I am not sure if this would work for you, but it is something to consider. :-)

We will make it through this and be stronger individuals because of it! Welcome to the field of Medicine!

for me the problem is that Im the only adult in the household and I have my daughter so when I get home theres tons of stuff to do, plus her, plus school....I usually do not start studying until 9 and thats during a slow week

Id say hell is a subjective term...I dont know too many programs doing full dissections in 3 months---my anatomy test (lecture and lab practical) tomorrow is over thorax/lungs, heart, pelvis/perineum, and abdomen....the last 4 dissections of the last 4 weeks....followed by a combined immunology/genetics exam .......school may not be hell but these last few weeks have been hellish for me

True there are plenty of moms....there are a couple in my class.....not many single moms though....twice the work when you're down a counterpart--no sitters, no family....just us

Any who it doesn't matter.... I'm not complaining at all about the lack of sleep, its something I've become accustomed to anyway after the last four years. Having operated that way for that long, Im able to make it through severe exam chasing weeks unlike some others who need to study a lot but also need a min. 8 hours to function. Through undergrad I worked full time, then took full time online classes and my sciences at night on campus all at the same time....

Oh and honestly I would rather stay up late and study than get up early.....Im not a morning person

I am not sure how old your daughter is, but I am also a mother and I know of a couple other moms in the year before me and we all find it beneficial to get to sleep at a decent hour and wake up very early to study (before our kids wake up). I am not sure if this would work for you, but it is something to consider. :-)

We will make it through this and be stronger individuals because of it! Welcome to the field of Medicine!

I read "How Doctors Think" and a couple of books by Atul Gawande (Better and Complications). They're medicine related, but without the biology. I would recommend those as opposed to reviewing your anatomy or something like that.

I've found just about every one of my rotations have been enjoyable and very low stress. Sure some have long hours, but I'd take it over didactic any day of the week. As long as you actually learned something instead of just memorizing and reguritating during the first year, clinicals should be a breeze. Stay motivated and continue to prepare during your clnical year you will be just fine.

well we had homework over the summer plus a suggested reading for genetics so that was my summer

if I had it to do over again WITHOUT having to work until I moved, I probably would have spent more time with biochem, anatomy (especially directional terms i.e. anterolaterally and this item passes superiorly to the lateral aspect of the medial boarder of the blah blah blah), maybe some med term

other than that I would have been fine.

Thanks all!

others will disagree but if you can spend time with family and friends AND look over stuff then why not....it doesnt have to be a formal course but looking at stuff may or may not help but at least you tried right? I would say look at the curriculum and see what basic sciences you feel you need to brush up on. I could say look at anatomy but you may be strong in anatomy.

also not sure about your program but mine paired us up with a 2nd year student.....as long as there have been any curriculum changes, maybe they have lecture notes for part of the curriculum that you may need to brush up on. had I thought about that, I probably would have asked for biochem stuff and had one of my friends walk me through the basics.

Thanks all!

Lol my buddy is screwed....the only biochem notes I can offer is one sentence in the notes section with the title slide of the first lecture.....

"if you dont have a doctorate in biochem youre screwed" lol

Trust me.....you didn't want my notes...

I always say relax, but ultimately I agree that an anatomy review wouldn't hurt.

well if this is hell at least the light is bright to read by and I don't have to worry about the heating bill through the winter. Saves money on the electric bill. :-) Robbins Basic Pathology really needs to consider adding a padded cover instead of the hardback...this way it can serve double duty..education and a pillow.

Archived