so this is what hell is like?

lol I sleep on mine anyway....I think in the back of my mind Im hoping the words will seep from the book into my brain

this is not working as I had hoped but Im not giving up

well if this is hell at least the light is bright to read by and I don't have to worry about the heating bill through the winter. Saves money on the electric bill. :-) Robbins Basic Pathology really needs to consider adding a padded cover instead of the hardback...this way it can serve double duty..education and a pillow.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am not a morning person, but at the end of a long day and evening, the info does not "stick" like it does after I am well rested and refreshed...and have a cup of coffee in me!! lol.

True there are plenty of moms....there are a couple in my class.....not many single moms though....twice the work when you're down a counterpart--no sitters, no family....just us

Any who it doesn't matter.... I'm not complaining at all about the lack of sleep, its something I've become accustomed to anyway after the last four years. Having operated that way for that long, Im able to make it through severe exam chasing weeks unlike some others who need to study a lot but also need a min. 8 hours to function. Through undergrad I worked full time, then took full time online classes and my sciences at night on campus all at the same time....

Oh and honestly I would rather stay up late and study than get up early.....Im not a morning person

Im opposite....I do not function well early in the morning and usually do not start functioning until about 9 which is right at the start of the first class lol. Im not a coffee person but I do drink tea but even tea with caffeine does nothing for me

I start late and keep going till stuff starts to blend in, then I sleep. the next day I review to see what I still remember then move on to the next topic

I too am not a morning person, but at the end of a long day and evening, the info does not "stick" like it does after I am well rested and refreshed...and have a cup of coffee in me!! lol.

Wow, I am so happy to see all these posts. I am so happy that I took time with my family before PA school. We moved from IL to NC two months before school and did all the fun stuff we could. My program requires a med term book read by the first week of class with a quiz on the book at the end of the first week. It was a good review, they also had us read "How To Study in Medical School" and do a learning style survey. I appreciated having a little something to look at while anxiously waiting to start.

I would definitely say get your organization skills up, as it is definitely like they say "drinking water from a fire hydrant." I love cadaver lab, Just_me we must have had that same test (thorax, abd,pelvic) last week! It is an impressive amount of material that you are expected to be accountable for, not to mention any offices you hold, our volunteer obligations, our interprofesional project we just completed, and the copious amounts of reading that is required. We just had our 1st Clinical Medicine combined exam (Hematology: Clinical Presentations, Diagnostic Methods, and Pharm), it's just so much going on at once....have to admit that I love it though. Medicine truly is amazing....who knew I would love using hammer and chisel, oscillating saws, and liquefying fat with my scalpel...LOL!

We have 8 moms and a couple dads in our class, support is awesome. I get up at the crack of dawn to study before class too..too drained at the end of the day.

Best wishes to all up to their elbows in good stuff. Our break starts today, all I have is a Microbiology take home exam...gonna enjoy this few days we start back Monday ;)

M

Id say hell is a subjective term...I dont know too many programs doing full dissections in 3 months---my anatomy test (lecture and lab practical) tomorrow is over thorax/lungs, heart, pelvis/perineum, and abdomen....the last 4 dissections of the last 4 weeks....followed by a combined immunology/genetics exam .......school may not be hell but these last few weeks have been hellish for me

We did full dissection anatomy in TEN weeks this summer...insane! And we did that part of the body in 2 weeks. So believe me, I feel your pain. So glad that is over. Now I just have a different kind of pain this quarter...neuro (pathways and more pathways!), physiology, clin med II (eyes, ENT, cardiac, and pulm this quarter), physical diagnosis, & pharmacology. I am so ready for my week break in 5 weeks!

10 weeks is super crazy! did you have other classes with the anatomy? I think thats the hardest right now is that we have that going on with other classes. Its time consuming but I have learned a lot by doing it

We did full dissection anatomy in TEN weeks this summer...insane! And we did that part of the body in 2 weeks. So believe me, I feel your pain. So glad that is over. Now I just have a different kind of pain this quarter...neuro (pathways and more pathways!), physiology, clin med II (eyes, ENT, cardiac, and pulm this quarter), physical diagnosis, & pharmacology. I am so ready for my week break in 5 weeks!

Id say hell is a subjective term...I dont know too many programs doing full dissections in 3 months---my anatomy test (lecture and lab practical) tomorrow is over thorax/lungs, heart, pelvis/perineum, and abdomen....

Holy crap, you guys had THREE whole months?!?! We were allowed just over 2 months for our gross anatomy course. ;) The grass is always greener...

In all seriousness though, keep up the strong work! I've had my dark days (okay, maybe a dark week or two) and I have no kiddos to attend to, so I'm always in complete awe of the parents in our program. I think we all adapt as we need to though. I don't remember any blood draws during the interview season, but I'm fairly sure they have some secret way of assessing our adrenal function prior to acceptance. Only the crazy survive.

Edit: Ha! Beaten by Bella. If her MWU is the same as my MWU, she had biochem in addition to anatomy. Holy **** is all I can say about that combination.

Im rounding up...we started mid august and we end in about 3 weeks along with a physical assessment course that mirrors the dissection so to speak, another course that spans the whole semester and then mini module like courses that last about 6 lectures each (biochem, nutrition, immunology, genetics, pharm, micro, epi-biostats) so at any given time we have anatomy and at least 3 other courses going on

I feel better though....I know quite a few programs their anatomy lasts at least the whole semester so I feel better (sorry bella and cj) knowing that some people had shorter courses than I did. I guess if it we only had one other course with it or maybe more than 2 people doing each dissection it wouldnt "hurt" so much lol

Holy crap, you guys had THREE whole months?!?! We were allowed just over 2 months for our gross anatomy course. ;) The grass is always greener...

In all seriousness though, keep up the strong work! I've had my dark days (okay, maybe a dark week or two) and I have no kiddos to attend to, so I'm always in complete awe of the parents in our program. I think we all adapt as we need to though. I don't remember any blood draws during the interview season, but I'm fairly sure they have some secret way of assessing our adrenal function prior to acceptance. Only the crazy survive.

Edit: Ha! Beaten by Bella. If her MWU is the same as my MWU, she had biochem in addition to anatomy. Holy **** is all I can say about that combination.

Yeah...not only did we do that anatomy in 10 weeks, we had TWO biochem classes! (human/general and clinical) ...plus we had professional seminar a psych class (2 "fluff" classes) and clin med I (they went easy on us in the beginning with history taking, then they ramped it up with a peds unit and a derm unit). 21 credits over the summer. Anatomy was by far the worst. But I made it out alive...and with an okay grade (despite failing my first test)....not bad for not taking anatomy for 9 years prior...haha!

I feel better though....I know quite a few programs their anatomy lasts at least the whole semester so I feel better (sorry bella and cj) knowing that some people had shorter courses than I did. I guess if it we only had one other course with it or maybe more than 2 people doing each dissection it wouldnt "hurt" so much lol

Apparently our med (DO) students get 6 months for basically the same anatomy (they really don't do that much more than we do either...maybe 5% more in depth). I talked to some MSIIs awhile back and they were shocked that we do it in ten weeks...the quote I got was "i don't know how you guys do it" haha!

haha same here.....a couple people in our class are married to med students and they are like "are you freaking serious!?!?"

one of my friends at another program (PA) has anatomy over the whole 1st year I think she said.....they were covering the superficial back muscles and in a few weeks would get to the brachial plexus and we had already done the back/upper arm, shoulder & axilla/the forearm and hand and were on the hip/thigh....when I told her that I think for her, the grass definitely became greener on her side lol

its hard but I think its better than one place I interviewed at that only uses models....

Apparently our med (DO) students get 6 months for basically the same anatomy (they really don't do that much more than we do either...maybe 5% more in depth). I talked to some MSIIs awhile back and they were shocked that we do it in ten weeks...the quote I got was "i don't know how you guys do it" haha!

Yep same here we covered Gross Ant in about 10 weeks. The MSI/II I knew when I was in PA School were like holy Cr^p when they would see how much we covered in a short amount of time for all the courses. But in all fairness they did get more indepth on the pathophys then we had to get.

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't mind an additional 3 months of didactic if it meant we had more time to fully absorb and appreciate all the info. I know I'll encounter it over and over again though, so eventually all the knowledge will become second nature. (Well, maybe. Hopefully!)

We did Anatomy in 8 weeks with a 1.5 hr commute each way, it was rough, but awesome. Took mechanisms of disease (our pathophys course) and immunology concurrently. (Not to get in a my PA school is harder than your PA school dispute, just saying I understand the pain)

But this semester we have 9 more credits and 2 exams every week along with 5 H&Ps due throughout the semester and I'm missing how "easy" the summer was *sigh*

Just curious, how many days per week are you guys actually in class?

M-F...with varying hours.

Despite all the talk of insane anatomy, I'm with c0untingstars on this being a harder quarter. Although at my school I am at 17 credits vs 21 but instead of 2 hard classes (plus easy classes), I now have 4 or 5 hard classes with a lot more material. But...I now have a better study system, so I am doing well and it seems more manageable, unlike last quarter where I felt like I was struggling much of the time with adjusting and then playing "catch-up" the whole time after a couple bad grades.

depends...on non dissection weeks 9-4 MWF and 9-2 Tues and Thurs during dissection weeks on top of the class schedule most of us are in the lab M-F till about 6-8(sometimes later) and Sat and Sun the hours are variable because we are finishing up the dissection as well as practicing for demos for the dissection (12 minutes presentation of 6 objectives)....however once we start our models (system based learning) we wont have so much campus time.....Im looking forward to it

Just curious, how many days per week are you guys actually in class?

• 2 weeks later...

PA-S:

I call PA school "a special kind of hell". I really don't want to bash my school or any program for that matter, but what "normal" in a PA program? Who teaches your classes, how long is your days, how many hours of studying are generally necessary in your program, how much of the information that you're tested on do you think that you'll actually retain, did you take any "special measures" to get through...?? so many questions!! How do you know if you're in the wrong program or if this is how most PA are?

~A

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is how most PA students feel...Ive heard it from my buddy (class of 2012) and from a current senior student......1st year is simply hell on wheels and unfortunately you start the race laying on the pavement in front of the bus and only have a split second to get to your feet and run like hell for the first year to avoid being run over :-(

Im still alive though so its not quite hell......purgatory maybe?

I think this is how most PA students feel...Ive heard it from my buddy (class of 2012) and from a current senior student......1st year is simply hell on wheels and unfortunately you start the race laying on the pavement in front of the bus and only have a split second to get to your feet and run like hell for the first year to avoid being run over :-(

Im still alive though so its not quite hell......purgatory maybe?

he-he "run Forrest, RUN!"

Our Clinical Medicine Prof used to say "If I had the choice of redoing the didatic year or taking a bullet, I think I would choose the bullet!"

Now I wouldnt care so much about taking it again since Ive been through it once....I mean I would have to do better the second time around right? lol

Its crazy....just started in August and I already feel like its been a year......at least we are in the heart of it now....the clinical medicine part

he-he "run Forrest, RUN!"

Our Clinical Medicine Prof used to say "If I had the choice of redoing the didatic year or taking a bullet, I think I would choose the bullet!"

Hmmm. This might sound like I am nuttier than a squirrel turd, but I am really enjoying school so far. :xD: Don't get me wrong, there's been some stress and the path paper I have to turn in on Monday is giving me fits. :heheh: Stress is part of life and I feel like as long as we don't hold on to that stress, it will turn out alright. No one makes it out alive, so I may as well enjoy the ride. I am still really looking forward to winter break, but yeah, I'm digging this!

Next quarter is supposed to be hell on wheels. We'll see how it goes! :;;D:

Archived