Spouse as the office manager...

Guest ERCat

I've read more than a few posts about how it is horrible to work a job in a private practice where the office manager is the spouse of your SP! Several of my fellow new grad pals have accepted jobs with this sort of set up. Why is this notorious for being a crappy situation?

Small offices are a crapshoot; there are so few people involved that almost anyone can make the working environment toxic. When the doc and the manager are husband and wife, you have essentially reduced the office size by one and left no one as an impartial conflict resolver. The personalities of the doc, the PA, and the manager will become much more critical to success than in another situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My experience has shown that the spouse - male or female - is almost never qualified to be a manager by education and training and has ingratiated themself into a position of power and privilege under the guise of "protecting the physician's interest" and being able to monitor office activities and police the staff.

With that situation - no one but the doc is ever right and proper business practices won't exist.

It is not a winning situation - ever.

Been there - done that - huge regret and self reproach.........

My experience has shown that the spouse - male or female - is almost never qualified to be a manager by education and training and has ingratiated themself into a position of power and privilege under the guise of "protecting the physician's interest" and being able to monitor office activities and police the staff.

With that situation - no one but the doc is ever right and proper business practices won't exist.

OMG! This just recently happened to my own personal provider. His dingbat wife would never tell my doctor/her husband to call me back (I had a simple question to ask at the time). I tried three times with different mediums; emails (which I am not still sure he received or she intercepted because I never got a reply from him). I tried to fax (all it did was ring and ring) and I tried 5 times to call (3 which of those the phone just rang and rang, just like the fax). After looking online I noticed other patients were no longer with the doc anymore for the same reasons. His wife looks 20 years his junior (he is in his 60s) and I think all she is just after his money and his practice (she is the RN and the office manager).  All this woman does is file her nails when I am there. UGH! K4uVC7f.gif I couldn't stand it anymore especially after what I read. I attempted to 'try' and get my paperwork and leave. I left, but never could  get my paperwork. It is ashame because I was with him for a long time.  

plus - the doc puts wife on an exorbitant salary and then cheaps his providers, complains about their salaries...it just blows

A local FM practice I have had some experience with has Doc w/ his wife as office manager. They own BMW 7series, Range rover, and some other Mercedes SUV as I pass by and see them parked everyday. They pay all MA's minimum wage (high turnover rate), hire new grad PA's at $70k a year seeing >30 patients a day and get rid of them after they ask for raises after one year and hire another unknowing new grad. It's a sad sad situation as there is nothing anyone can do about it. Their patients are constantly at the ER because of mismanagement and lack of communication with their providers. It would honestly be better for the community if their office didn't exist. When greed > honest, hardworking medicine... everyone suffers.

Archived