PA NP comparison article written by PA

I hear you can now get your NP online in 6mos....

For those who have read my postings for the last 6-7 years and know my feelings about the NP national organizations, this may be a surprise.. But, were there such a program, and were there a way I could challenge the RN so as to meet that requirement, you better bet I would take such a course and get NP behind my name.

The mind quivers at such a thought.. But what a safety back up to have.

... were there such a program, and were there a way I could challenge the RN so as to meet that requirement, you better bet I would take such a course and get NP behind my name...

A simple and quick way to get your RN the only limiting factor is available cash and the speed in which you can schedule your 2.5 day (20hr) clinical exam.

There are reports of folks completing the testing for the didactic part this program in as little as 30-45 days.

Admission Requirements for Associate Degree in Nursing Programs

Our nursing degree programs are specifically designed to serve individuals with significant experience in clinically oriented health care disciplines. Admission to the associate degree in nursing programs is not open to international students. Admission is open to prospective students in the following categories:

• Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses
  • Paramedics
  • Certain classifications of Military Corpsmen
  • Respiratory Therapists, Respiratory Technicians, Respiratory Care Practitioners
  • Physicians trained and/or licensed outside of the United States
  • Physicians or Physician's Assistants trained and/or licensed in the United States
  • Licensed, Certified or Registered Midwives
  • Students who have successfully completed at least 50% of the clinical nursing credit hours with a minimum grade of C in an associate, baccalaureate, or RN diploma nursing program within 5 years of completing their last nursing course

Source

Send "Jer_sd" a PM as this forum member took this route.

Good Luck Bro...

Contrarian

P.s... here is a thread FULL of practicing RNs and NPs that took this route...

The thought has crossed my mind to do excelsior and NP as a back up after I graduate and pass my cert. The environment Im starting to see is that NPs have everyone hook line and sinker with being independent but fail to mention the "collaborative" agreement worded exactly like the supervisory contract. It blows my mind....

Excelsior is having trouble getting its grads licensed in several states, FYI. A friend of mine recently graduated and had issues from the nursing board getting her license. And this was in a state that is supposedly OK with Excelsior. On top of that I believe 4 states (including CA) will not let you get licensed with a degree from them, and another 3 or 4 make it very difficult. So caveat emptor and all that.

too bad the author failed to mention the difference in clinical hrs between a typical pa and np program...that's the top thing in my mind that recommends pa's> np's.

"Many people believe a PA is not able to prescribe medication or perform duties traditionally reserved for physicians. Both of these are myths. In many states, a PA can do anything a physician delegates to them to do, as long as they have been properly trained and are following all supervisory guidelines. PAs can prescribe medication, refer patients, order tests and interpret results, conduct physical examinations, diagnose and treat illnesses, counsel on preventive healthcare, assist in surgery and more. PAs may be found working in hospitals, clinics and many other types of health care settings."

I think this could be clearer.

"PAs practice and prescribe in every US state and territiory, as well as worldwide through military and humanitarian services. PAs can work in any setting where physicians work."

Excelsior is having trouble getting its grads licensed in several states, FYI. A friend of mine recently graduated and had issues from the nursing board getting her license. And this was in a state that is supposedly OK with Excelsior. On top of that I believe 4 states (including CA) will not let you get licensed with a degree from them, and another 3 or 4 make it very difficult. So caveat emptor and all that.

several friends of mine have done this(excelsior/regents). apparently you just need to get a license in 1 state then others will give you a license by reciprocity.

A simple and quick way to get your RN the only limiting factor is available cash and the speed in which you can schedule your 2.5 day (20hr) clinical exam.

There are reports of folks completing the testing for the didactic part this program in as little as 30-45 days.

Send "Jer_sd" a PM as this forum member took this route.

Good Luck Bro...

Contrarian

P.s... here is a thread FULL of practicing RNs and NPs that took this route...

this is for an associates in nursing is it not? where do you get the NP portion?

...Im starting to see is that NPs have everyone hook line and sinker with being independent but fail to mention the "collaborative" agreement worded exactly like the supervisory contract. It blows my mind....

This however IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE swinging favor towards NP....

this is for an associates in nursing is it not? where do you get the NP portion?

Correct... this is for a ASN.

Remember... nurses take care of their own.

So once you get the ASN from above program... applying for a online ASN-->MSN program is simple... and we KNOW ... you have the network already in place where you can set up your own 500-600 clinical hrs.

Another option... if you got the time and where with all ... is to try and find a "direct entry"... Bachelors or Masters degree to MSN evening program. You know... one of the many RN programs that only admit folks who already have bachelors or masters degrees in other fields and make them MSN's in about 18 months.

Just Thoughts...

Contrarian

You can get a bachelors from Excelsior after you get your ADN with no furthur clinical assesment. Another option would be for example to get your ADN from Excelsior then complete a BSN online in 12 months from a school like UMASS Boston with no clinical or classroom time. After that you could apply to an online or standard NP program and in 4 years go from an EMT to clinican with as little as 12 weeks of patient contact (500 hours).

Lewitt

Correct... this is for a ASN.

Remember... nurses take care of their own.

So once you get the ASN from above program... applying for a online ASN-->MSN program is simple... and we KNOW ... you have the network already in place where you can set up your own 500-600 clinical hrs.

Another option... if you got the time and where with all ... is to try and find a "direct entry"... Bachelors or Masters degree to MSN evening program. You know... one of the many RN programs that only admit folks who already have bachelors or masters degrees in other fields and make them MSN's in about 18 months.

Just Thoughts...

Contrarian

Yes, Contrarian nurses take care of their own, as do MD/DOs, we're the only ones with our head in the sand, and as I said before we are eating their dust.....

Archived