I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Guest thinePA

Sarcoidosis skin test:

I'm not too sure about the anergy testing, but the one I was looking for is the Kveim test. Here's a bit about it:

Kveim test

A Kveim test (also known as a Kveim-Siltzbach test) is a skin test that was designed specifically for diagnosing sarcoidosis. It involves collecting lymph node or spleen samples. The sample is processed to eliminate infectivity and is injected into the patient's skin. Approximately 4 weeks later a skin biopsy is performed; specific histological changes are considered confirmatory for sarcoidosis. The test is poorly standardized and is rarely used in the United States. It may have a role in atypical cases where tissue is difficult or impossible to obtain, such as in neurosarcoidosis.

Great fun!!

Mother brings in her 1 yo son because she noticed that his skin color has changed recently. On physical exam you note that the baby's skin is yellowish in color. The child is otherwise healthy, active, and there are no other significant findings in your H/P.

The kiddo looks great but you are ready to order a bilirubin level and suspect that it is a hemolytic process that is affecting the child's liver.

Your preceptor hears the chief complaint stops you and asks "What does he eat & what does his sclera look like?"

Why are these questions important?

Mother brings in her 1 yo son because she noticed that his skin color has changed recently. On physical exam you note that the baby's skin is yellowish in color. The child is otherwise healthy, active, and there are no other significant findings in your H/P.

The kiddo looks great but you are ready to order a bilirubin level and suspect that it is a hemolytic process that is affecting the child's liver.

Your preceptor hears the chief complaint stops you and asks "What does he eat & what does his sclera look like?"

Why are these questions important?

i'm guessing the question is to rule out jaundice *sclera* and some food allergic reaction possibly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. fever (yea, Amanda!)

4. dehydration (Amanda), variceal bleed and massive hemmorhage (lisnek) cause ------? {A more general term that encompasses these specific conditions}

5. PE (yea, E!)

My EM attending said PEis a more common cause of tachycardia than hyperthyroidism, Mon, but I didn't ask what his source was. But definitely a good one to keep in mind!

Lisnek, I think death is actually one of the most common causes of asystole, not tachycardia ;)

Guest pac4hire
1. fever

2. fear/anxiety (MedicPA :) )

4. shock is close... but not all shock causes tachycardia. Goes along with dehydration & hemmorhage...

5. PE

Im sorry let me qualify my previous answers...

septic/hypovolemic/hemmorhagic/and septic shock all cause tachy

Know those Hs & Ts, Medic! :D

1. fever

2. fear/anxiety

4. volume depletion (due to dehydration, hemorrhage, third-spacing, etc)

5. PE

I think anemia would fit in with #4... isn't tachycardia more common in acute anemias than chronic, and the most common cause of acute anemia is blood loss?

#3 is extremely common.... we ask almost every pt about it, and if it is present we ask several quanititative & qualitative questions..... some would consider it a vital sign........... :confused:

Pain would be the last one (yea pac4hire!).

I'm not sure where the doc got the info; some might disagree with these being the top 5 causes.... but I really liked the question because tachycardia is so common, plus it got the brain working.

To recap: 5 MCC of tachycardia

1. fever

2. fear/anxiety

3. pain

4. volume depletion

5. PE