I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Is it Valsalva?

Oui... that's half!

Since a murmur is turbulent blood flow through the heart & valves, the relative volume of the murmur can be changed by changing the venous return to the heart.

Having a pt hold maximal expiration (Valsalva) increases intrathoracic pressure, compressing the vena cavae & decreasing preload. Venous return to the left side of the heart is decreased... right-sided sounds will be softer; left-sided sounds persist (at least initially). So with expiration, left-sided murmurs do not change.

Maximal inspiration decreases intrathoracic pressure, allowing increased vr to the right side of the heart... right-sided sounds will be louder, and left-sided sounds don't change. With inspiration, right-sided sounds are amplified.

Andersenpa, did I explain that correctly?

It's a dynamic thing....

Normal inspiration will cause a relatively negative intrathoracic pressure and promote RV filling; this may cause some septal shift and impair LV filling temporarily (interventricular dependence). Passive expiration will not necessarily exaggerate the changes seen with valsalva (forced expiration against a closed glottis)- a decrease in the intensity of most murmurs except MVP (longer duration and earlier click) and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. MVP is more pronounced due to the lesser LV filling and higher left side atrioventricular gradient.

I general, right sided murmurs will return in intensity much more quickly than left side (may take several cardiac cycles to return).

There are also particulars to the phases of valsalva-

Phases of Valsalva

I onset of strain - increased SBP- Increased intrathoracic pressure causes aortic root compression and atrial compression/emptying; results in reflex bradycardia

II continued strain - decreased SBP - Increased intrathoracic pressure/compromised venous return, decreased preload, reflex tachycardia

III release - decreased SBP - Inspiration increases venous capacitance of pulmonary vasculature, venous pooling and decreased L. heart preload

IV recovery - increased SBP- recovery and overshoot resulting from increased vasomotor tone and reflex tachycardia

As you can imagine, each of these hemodynamic changes will affect valvular flow and the accentuation of murmurs.

OR, you can just get an echo!

I heard it before but i dont remember that much. I think it has something to do with checking trauma to the eye (scleral or corneal penetrating injury)by using flourecine staining to detect aqueous humor leak. Flourecine dyes usually stains abrasions/ulcers. I think the positive result is when there is a constant streaming of the dye from eye.

I heard it before but i dont remember that much. I think it has something to do with checking trauma to the eye (scleral or corneal penetrating injury)by using flourecine staining to detect aqueous humor leak. Flourecine dyes usually stains abrasions/ulcers. I think the positive result is when there is a constant streaming of the dye from eye.

That would be it! Under a cobalt blue light, you see a moving stream of flourescein-stained aquaeous humor.

Good job, as usual, Merseur!!

This was a new one for me also:

what is dandy-walker syndrome?

had a pt with this yesterday.....

WOW! Dandy-Walker? All I can remember right now is inc. ICP associated w/ hydrocephalus.

Once the full answer is out, tell us about the presentation, etc. I'm going to have to go read up on that one.

Guest pac4hire

ok not to skip over Eric but let me throw a baby lamb into the lion's den...

what would the MCV, MCHC,Fe, TIBC, Fe Sat% be in iron def anemia...

all of these other questions are cool but this is one that you NEED to know

ok not to skip over Eric but let me throw a baby lamb into the lion's den...

what would the MCV, MCHC,Fe, TIBC, Fe Sat% be in iron def anemia...

all of these other questions are cool but this is one that you NEED to know

MCV = dec (microcytic), MCHC = nl-dec (hypochromic), Fe = dec, TIBC =inc, Fe Sat% =dec

i knew my med tech degree & 5yrs in lab would help somewhere :p