I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Consider the effects of intrathoracic pressure on intrathoracic vessels.....

increased intrathoracic pressure --> compression of intrathoracic vessels --> mechanical decrease in venous return --> decreased CO --> decreased coronary circulation

also would be a compression of the coronaries, compounding the decreased supply, no?

la, you have stated what my attending was getting at. increased intrathoracic pressure causes mechanical decrease in blood return to the heart by compressing primarily the IVC. no blood in = no blood out (ala starling's law), heart doesn't get enough blood, gets upset and quits pumping.

here's one from tonight, easy, so students only please. what is the most common cause of urinary retention post-op and how do you treat it? what is "normal" urine output for healthy-ish adults? how long do you give the pt. after surgery to void before you get concerned?

I can't remember the order - but one letter indicates the chamber that is paced, one indicates where electrical activity is sensed and the other letter decribes what the pacer is supposed to do.

For the first two the letters are A,V, or D (atrium, ventricle or dual).

Can't remember the letters for the 3rd...

here's one from tonight, easy, so students only please. what is the most common cause of urinary retention post-op and how do you treat it?

residual effects of anticholinergic paralytics? we learned about urecholine from dr. p as one treatment - don't know (yet) if it is really used, though....

what is "normal" urine output for healthy-ish adults?

0.5 to 1 mL/kg/hr...

how long do you give the pt. after surgery to void before you get concerned?

24 hours comes to mind, but not sure why. maybe someone else will chime in?

I can't remember the order - but one letter indicates the chamber that is paced, one indicates where electrical activity is sensed and the other letter decribes what the pacer is supposed to do.

For the first two the letters are A,V, or D (atrium, ventricle or dual).

Can't remember the letters for the 3rd...

Good.

1st - Chamber paced: A, V, or D - atrium, ventricle, or dual (atrium and ventricle)

2nd - Chamber sensed: A,V,D, and O - O for absence on sensing, which will pace without regard to the intrinsic activity

3rd - Response to sensing: I or T, for inhibit or trigger.

These are the common settings- the nomenclature extends to 5 parameter, however.

4th letter - Rate responsiveness- pacer can increase baseline rate in response to activity (need for higher cardiac output)

5th letter - presence of multisite pacing- both atria, both ventricles, or more than one site in one chamber

The three letter system is most commonly used and relevant for most purposes.....

what is "normal" urine output for healthy-ish adults?

0.5 to 1 mL/kg/hr...

Remember,the.5-1cc/kg/hr is based on IBW. I currently have a morbidly obese female pt on service, about 5'6" and over 480lbs that nursing kept calling the on call resident because of "low urine output" and the resident just kept chasing by ordering boluses forgetting that the pt's u.o. was adequate based on her IBW.

This continued for 3 nites over the weekend, phone call=IVF bolus. When I saw her on Monday, her O2 requirements were up and she had a BNP of over 2000 and required diuresis.

Just a friendly FYI.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest obyomeni

Howell-jolly bodies are erythrocyte abnormalities that are seen after splenectomy, leukemia, pernicious anemia, or some severe hemolytic anemias.

Guest Macrophage

Wow! I'm so impressed by this fascinating medical knowledge. You guys are a wealth of amazing information in medicine.

I'm also distressed that I really knew none of the answers, though I understood most of them, and did make educated guesses.

Of course, I don't start my PA Master's program until July. . . I'd better learn A LOT in the next 2 years!!

Wow! I'm so impressed by this fascinating medical knowledge. You guys are a wealth of amazing information in medicine.

I'm also distressed that I really knew none of the answers, though I understood most of them, and did make educated guesses.

Of course, I don't start my PA Master's program until July. . . I'd better learn A LOT in the next 2 years!!

1. You'll learn a lot in PA school!

2. You'll forget more than you learn!

3. Looking up the answers isn't cheating; it's part of the learning process.

{with #3 I don't mean to insinuate that the posters didn't know the answer... I meant it to encourage you and others to participate ;) }

Guest jennie783
What is the:

Ligament of Marshall?

Ligamentum Arteriosum?

Transverse Sinus?

Oblique Sinus?

all the same organ.......

please bear with me. i haven't started school yet but i wanted to give it a shot and look this stuff up anyway.

the organ is the heart

the ligament of marshall is an epicardical neuromuscular bundle on the left atrium that is believed to be the origin of atrial tachyarrrythmias

the ligamentum arteriosum is a fiberous band that connects the superior surface of the left pulmonary artery to the inferior surface of the aortic arch

the transverse sinus is a pericardial strip between the superior pulmonary veins on top of left atrium. i also read that the right pulmonary artery is a transverse sinus structure. does this mean that it is part of the transverse sinus?

the oblique sinus is located behind the posterior to the heart and has an inverted U shape. it is formed from the visceral and parietal pericardium and separates the left atria from the esophagus