I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

I'll give it a shot... This will probably be pretty easy for experienced PAs and PA-S also, but what the heck.

What is the Tetrology of Fallot?

Extra: What piece of history can be linked with this?

One pathology: an inferior/anterior displacement of the ventricular outflow part of the septum.

Four resulting abnormalities: VSD, pulmonic stenosis, overriding aorta, RVH.

Hx: "blue baby" ??

One pathology: an inferior/anterior displacement of the ventricular outflow part of the septum.

Four resulting abnormalities: VSD, pulmonic stenosis, overriding aorta, RVH.

Hx: "blue baby" ??

Yep! 100% Laughing Angel!

Here are a couple of interesting links about the Blue Baby surgeries. I watched the movie on HBO and really enjoyed it.

http://www.jhu.edu/~gazette/2004/17may04/17hbo.html

http://www.jhu.edu/~gazette/aprjun95/may3095/30blue.html

Very cool links! Thank you!

{And thak you, too, M :) }

Here's one from my current rotation...

what's the most common opportunistic infection in an HIV-infected pt?

Glad you enjoyed the links!

Is it candidiasis? We just went over this in Derm class and I remember our prof saying it was a common opportunistic infection in HIV pts, though she didn't say it was the most common. If it isn't I'll be interested in seeing what is!

Good job, people! It is Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (actually renamed Pneumocystis jirovechi, but no one here calls it that). And in an AIDS pt with a CD 4 count >200, recommended prophylaxis is Bactrim! Candida is also high on the list, but I'm not sure where...

Here's one I got today... what are the three top bugs in bacterial meningitis? The prevalence of one bug has decreased over the last decade or so - why?

Guest khatereh

Ok, so you are making me think, I took micro about 6 or 7 years ago in chiropractic school! These are the pathogens that I recall (with help from the hubby :), not sure if the top ones!

Streptococcus pneumoniae

Neiseria meningitidis

Group B streptococci

Listeria monocytogenes

Haemophilus influenza

Is the decrese due to a new vaccine??

It amazes me that I actually remember some of this micro stuff!

Ok guys, since I'm in a surgery rotation, I'll throw out one of the questions I was pimped on:

What types of bacterial infections (what general grouping of bacteria) do you need to worry about with a patient that has had a splenectomy. What immunizations would you want to give this patient before they are discharged from the hospital?

hmm... they're encapsulated bacteria.....and the spleen helps to get rid of bacteria...... i'm sure i'm missing something else here....

Not missing anything - the spleen helps get rid of encapsulated bacteria, so when a person has a splenectomy, they need to get vaccinated against these organisms to help prevent infection.

If I remember correctly usually you do it about 2 weeks post-op, but since 98% of the pts I take care of right now don't have insurance or are even legal US citizens, we make sure they are immunized before they leave the hospital.