I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Guest pac4hire

my turn...

what are three things that must be further investigated in any male over 50 or the two things in a female that presents with a direct or indirect inguinal hernia. what is that patho that would cause the hernia?

• 1 month later...

Hey, no one answered Sean's pimping yet... any takers?

I got this yesterday from an IM doc who thinks the vital functions of life are breathing, eating, sleeping & pimping :p

"One of my patients was admitted last night. She's 81 and has a PMH of epilepsy. Family called 911 because she was slow to come out the ictal period. In the ED her vitals are wnl, temp 39.4, obtunded but maintaining her airway.

1. What are the top three things on your differential?

2. What do you need to look for on PE?"

Enjoy!

Hey, no one answered Sean's pimping yet... any takers?

I have to say - hernia's are not a strong point of mine, so I would love to hear the answer to this one!

I got this yesterday from an IM doc who thinks the vital functions of life are breathing, eating, sleeping & pimping :p

"One of my patients was admitted last night. She's 81 and has a PMH of epilepsy. Family called 911 because she was slow to come out the ictal period. In the ED her vitals are wnl, temp 39.4, obtunded but maintaining her airway.

1. What are the top three things on your differential?

2. What do you need to look for on PE?"

Enjoy!

Not sure if top 3 - but definately would be in my DDx: seizure, hypoglycemia, stroke

PE: would want to do a full neuro exam looking for any deficits: would look for symmetry between right & left side of body, look for decreased strength, check CN's, gaits, and would also want to check a fingerstick

fever and mental status changes, i'm thinking meningitis...but the source? fevers could also be neurogenic, but one must obviously r/o infectious focus.

1. sepsis - pan Cx

2. CVA - CT head

3. fever + AMS + old lady = showering veggies? echo? don't know enough hx; although i'm sure your pimp would say i have all i need, right?......

Good job! His top three:

1. meningitis

2. septic emboli from endocarditis

3. bacteremia

His teaching point: Just like "everything that wheezes is not asthma", "everything that seizes is not a sz d/o". Any fever in a LOL, or any change in sz pattern in a LOL, needs to be investigated. This lady was going to be discharged home w/epilepsy as dx... admitted only because she had strange bruises and protective services was 3 hours away. Ended up she had a bacteremia, not worked up until the internist was called to admit her! :eek:

On PE, he was looking for Kernig & Brudzinski for meningitis; Janeway lesions, Osler lesions & splinter hemmorhages for endocarditis. Pretty cool... I like pimping that I may use one day!

blue baby? whats the technical name... ill figure it out in a second.. lol

i dunno, but that just makes sense. let me also add that we just did murmurs and I LOVE EM. they are so fun... dont ask me why. but our prof. is big on em and says its a place that many practitioners lack in skills and that we arent aloud out without knowing murmurs well...

chris

Tetrology of Fallot!!!!!! lol...

oh.. or patent ductus arteriosus... maybe? oh well... i lose

ASD

btw Chris, LA is right about the L>R shunt being acyanotic..usually the only time this defect may be associated with cyanosis would be if the defect was large enough then it may cause CHF which then may cause the 'blue baby' presentation.

There's an easy way to remember the L>R shunts:

the 3 D's-

VSD

ASD

PDA

Is it a possible complication to medications (antiretroviral therapies)

yup. and it seems to me its an almost inevitable complication. maybe LA can refute that but everyone i saw and most of his patients have totals above 200. Also, one way he checks to see if patients are taking their meds is to look for jaundice and LFTs.

chris

yup. and it seems to me its an almost inevitable complication. maybe LA can refute that but everyone i saw and most of his patients have totals above 200. Also, one way he checks to see if patients are taking their meds is to look for jaundice and LFTs.

chris

Refute? You sound like you expect me to disagree with you??

What I learned on my HIV rotation was that dyslipidemia is a part of the natural, long-term course of the disease. ART, especially the protease inhibitors, add on to the problem.

But when I first saw your question, I thought you were talking about AIDS-related cardiomyopathy :p