Paying Preceptors

To my knowledge... NO programs actually pay Preceptors and few if any pay "honorarium" to Lecturers...

Which is part of the reason why they really bend over back wards for them, appreciate them... and if they suck... the program isn't really quick to ditch them.

I've never met a PA program lecturer or preceptor that wasn't a volunteer.

Which then leads to the question...

Where is ALL that tuition money going...???

30-50 people all paying $60-$80 THOUSAND every yr seems to me like they could afford decent, dedicated Staff, Faculty, Professors and clinical sites...:heheh:

YMMV

Contrarian

Guest guthriesm

Hmm, my preceptors are paid and I gather it is the norm for my area. That said - I highly doubt it is much and I know my preceptor this semester agreed to do the work, did the work, and then was pleasantly surprised to find a check at the end of the semester. So I don't think most of them do it for the money.

I think the reason there is any money involved is to keep everything above board- it is a contract with an obligation and compensation.

I doubt your person is going to give you any more or less than any other student.

Most medical students are having to pay preceptors now. It will becoming the norm. Expect the same for Physician Assistant Students.

But, while on this topic - ask yourself WHY your school is charging you FULL tuition while you are on rotation, being trained by someone else.

I dont know of any healthcare program that does it differently....do you? They are awarding you credit for your learning experiences

Most medical students are having to pay preceptors now. It will becoming the norm. Expect the same for Physician Assistant Students.

But, while on this topic - ask yourself WHY your school is charging you FULL tuition while you are on rotation, being trained by someone else.

Our school pays some preceptors...its kind of a thing they offer if a preceptor is on the fence about taking students but they don't offer it to everyone. Honestly, I think Preceptors who don't get paid could actually be better because they are doing it because they want to rather than for the income.

I think is should be paid - something like $100-200 per week:=D:

and I do wonder where the $$$ goes for tution that is spent:O_O: - even a class size of 30 students yields some pretty impressive incomes...:wink:

Anyone in academics care to share where the $$$ goes??

We had a end of rotation activity on this topic. Many of our preceptors came and spoke about what makes a good and bad student, etc. When it was asked what they thought about being paid, all of them whether veterans or newbies to precepting, said it should not happen. If you think you have bad preceptors now, wait until their motivation is simply money. If they arent doing it now when the only reward is CME and educating the next generation, then they shouldnt be doing it anyways. Plus whatever a program could offer wouldnt really be of much help. You would probably just be turned into a scut monkey anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Good information from PAEA via Les. Allow me to address the "full tuition" question while students out of rotation. 1) the PA faculty still needs to get paid 2) the lights, heat and AC still have to remain on but most importantly 3) the $$ you pay for the first year don't cover your costs so they are amortized over 2 - 2.5 years. I have seen a couple programs front load the student costs but that just means you exceed your subsidized grant and loan limit that year and have to take out higher interest loans. That wouldn't be my choice if I were in your shoes. Does that help?

• 9 months later...

Archived