Rotations abroad??

tangerinepuddle, this is an area that I am very interested in right now . . . students studying abroad. See this thread .

I am interested in creating an independent entity, either company or non-profit, that would set up 6-week study abroad programs for virtually all PA programs . . . if they were willing to participate.

I'm on the early stages of this and it would be at least a year before I could get this off the ground, if I decide to do it. My first rotation site would be in Egypt, but I want to create sites in Sudan, Nepal, India, China and other places.

I just returned yesterday from the Physician Assistants for Global Health conference in New Mexico. This organization is a great resource see here.

Go to the other thread and you will find some great information. I can tell you that U of Wisconsin had a program (in Thailand) but I'm not sure they will continue it. U of Utah PA program has a connection with overseas rotations (mostly in S. America if I remember right) and it is still active. U of Kentucky, where I studied, now has a connection with the UK and is thinking about expanding to other countries. WHen I set up my overseas rotation back in 82 they were totally against it and it was a very up-hill battle for me. I eventually took a 3 month preceptor-ship as a PA student in UAE, Oman and Pakistan. Since then I've lived in Egypt for two years and been back to Pakistan once.

I met many PAs an PA students at the conference who had either participated in one of these school sponsored programs or created their own experience at a school that never had overseas rotations before. Yet at the same time, many PAs have encounter programs (as I did) that are totally against overseas rotations.

It was a great conference, however I was disappointed by one part. On Sunday, there was a break-out workshop on this very issue. However, the leader of that "workshop" took the opportunity to show her personal slides of her trip (which took about 90 minutes) and never allowed us to discuss how students can set up these rotations.

Mike

I'm going to the University of Kentucky and they have a huge emphasis on doing rotations abroad. I think in the past students have gone to Africa, South America, Europe, basically all over.

I'm really excited to hear that. I was the very first UK student to go overseas and it was a real uphill battle to get to go (in 82). I recently talked to Linda Allen at UK (who use to head the International Program) and I have messages for Pangie Dawson and David Fahringer to contact me . . . but still waiting to hear from them. I understand that they now are in charge of the overseas rotations. If you know Pangie or David, you can let them know I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Mike

This is how the Pac U/Portland program states it: Clinical sites are located throughout the United States, but students have the option of selecting an international clinical elective in many countries of the world, including, but not limited to, Mexico, Ecuador, China and Kenya.

Here is an AAPA old (2003) report:

http://www.paeaonline.org/1003busbook/internadhoc.PDF

My program (Des Moines University) allows students to rotate in El Salvador, Belize, St. Lucia and Mali. Those interested in international rotations are placed in a lottery. Those selected will sever anywhere from one to three weeks. After having recently launched a full Global Health Department, the school even funds these rotations. I will be heading to El Salvador in March and am very much looking forward to the experience.

My program (Des Moines University) allows students to rotate in El Salvador, Belize, St. Lucia and Mali. Those interested in international rotations are placed in a lottery. Those selected will sever anywhere from one to three weeks. After having recently launched a full Global Health Department, the school even funds these rotations. I will be heading to El Salvador in March and am very much looking forward to the experience.

The Global Health department is not just for PAs? How is is funded? Tuition pays for it or donations, grants?

The Global Health department is not just for PAs? How is is funded? Tuition pays for it or donations, grants?

The rotations are open to all colleges on campus which include: DO, PA, DPT, PT. The number of students allowed per college varies based on the clinician-to-student ratio for that year. In concert with Grants/Sponsors the students also setup fund raising committees to also assist in the overall cost. If you'd like more information, you can go here: http://www.dmu.edu/globalhealth/

• 1 year later...

Can a student from a PA school that doesn't offer clinical rotations abroad join another class from a PA school that does offer it on their clinical rotation abroad? I'm sure there has to be an agreement between both PA schools, but I was wondering if the PA schools that actually do offer these rotations abroad as an elective option generally allow visiting PA students from other schools to come with them for the credits and experience.

Can a student from a PA school that doesn't offer clinical rotations abroad join another class from a PA school that does offer it on their clinical rotation abroad? I'm sure there has to be an agreement between both PA schools, but I was wondering if the PA schools that actually do offer these rotations abroad as an elective option generally allow visiting PA students from other schools to come with them for the credits and experience.

DOUBT IT. most pa programs won't do anything to help students from other programs and will not accept their courses as equivalent for transfer purposes.

I know pacific(as mentioned above) and u.wa/medex allow students to do international rotations(medex you have to arrange it yourself).

• 9 months later...

Cornell in NYC also has many different international rotations and many of their students so get the opportunity to go abroad. Basically, when one student has done it, other students can follow in their footsteps provided the rotation is still available, so students have gone to Tanzania, Australia, Mexico, etc. Setting up your own rotations is also a bit more work, but can be done.

I went to the Univer of KY and did my Pediatrics rotation in England...awesome experience!

Hey, you have me to thank for that :;;D: . I went to U. K. and created the first overseas rotation ever back in 1982. I took three months in Oman. The program was totally opposed to it and I had to fight very hard to get it done. Then, when I got back, the program liked the idea.

I'm glad they still allow that.:=D:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 5:06 AM, BlackCatWhiteCat said:

Has anyone heard of any more programs or location sites in the last 10 years?

I just came upon this post, as well -- any more updates from new programs that have been developed international rotations and/or are open to a student taking these types of rotations?

I know I've looked at the aforementioned schools and I'm pretty sure (with the exception of Harding, haven't looked at it), they all still have international rotations. 

Also, to those who have mentioned setting up international rotations or have people in their programs who have set up international rotations -- any insight on how this is done? I'm sure every school is slightly different, but at this present moment, I wouldn't even know where to start and any insight on this process would be massively appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...

The University of Iowa PA Program allows and encourages their students to pursue international rotations. They had a few in Africa, Latin America and South America (I think one or two in Europe?) if I'm remembering correctly. This was mentioned during the informational session of the interview day so I'm not sure on exact logistics of the process. 

Archived