What stethoscope should I buy?

Buy A Classic II SE. They are all good. 

You don't need an electronic for starts. 

That's my suggestion. I have been switching between Cardiology III and Classic II SE and i like them. For a learner a Classic II SE is good. You don't need to spend a whole lot of money for a stethoscope.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy A Classic II SE. They are all good. 

You don't need an electronic for starts. 

That's my suggestion. I have been switching between Cardiology III and Classic II SE and i like them. For a learner a Classic II SE is good. You don't need to spend a whole lot of money for a stethoscope.

actually just got the II SE for Christmas so that's all settled:)

I have been a forensic scientist in Firearms for 15 years and now my hearing is not the best (ruptured an eardrum on the left years ago).  I am seriously considering buying an electronic one now so I wont have the disadvantage I have already noticed working as an EMT.  I start school in a few months. I have a good basic stethoscope but I still don't hear well out of it or the other ones on the box (ambulance).  It may be the other noise that we have to mentally disregard but I have also noticed that I have a hard time even when I was shadowing and in a quiet office.  I find it hard to even get a decent blood pressure, let alone hear heart or breath sounds.  I hate to just keep trying because my PA or patient may lose confidence in me. The only electronic one I have seen is the 3100.  Does anyone have one of these and do they really help a lot?  Maybe I am just doomed to bad hearing.  Any ideas?

I have a Littman 3100 and enjoy using it. My ears are old (as is the rest of me) and it helps. I didn't get it until I was out working in cardiology; not sure what schools would think about having one.

I got a 3100 too (I wear hearing aids so I needed an amplified). As an alternative to the master cardio non amplified line, I recommend the Welch Allen Harvey Elite. I had that before my SNHL and it was awesome. I can still use it to some extent now hearing loss notwithstanding, but the 3100 is my workhorse. Battery life ain't that great though.

If you wear hearing aids, you might consider this one:

http://www.allheart.com/product.aspx?p=ca718712x&cmpid=SEGOO&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plagoogle&CAWELAID=1030874039&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120013910001157970&cadevice=c&gclid=CIjP3vCPlMMCFU9sfgodVHAA0g

Im thinking about it since the 3100 picks up some friction/rubbing noises that mess me up sometimes.

Archived