Sign in to follow this  
waky02

60 hours of instruction in pharmacology

"Has completed not less than sixty (60) hours of didactic instruction in pharmacology for physician assistant practice in an accredited physician assistant education program or a post-graduate program for physician assistant practice."

Hi all I am considering moving up to Connecticut, and I stumbled across this quote. Anyone know what it means. Does the pharm I had in school qualify? or is this in addition or post graduation?

Also what is the work environment in Connecticut

job availability?

Thanks all

The pharm you had in school should suffice as long as it was 60 hours of instruction or more.

The work environment is good, CT is a favorable state for PAs. Schedule II prescribing authority. Only limitation is that one doc can supervise only 6 PAs at a time (this is rarely ever an issue). Relatively high pay, also high cost of living and taxes though.

60 clock hours is a bit less than 4 semester hours, if I recall the conversion correctly.  You should be fine, you just may need a statement from your program that you had >60 hours if your pharmacology is integrated into modules, rather than broken out in a separate class.

Pretty sure 4 credit hours is sixty. I've had to use the conversion before for my CME in nursing and a 3 credit hour course was 45 hours. Could be wrong or a different calculation. I had the same thing for Penn, but they didn't ask for specific proof. I'm assuming they just look at your transcript.

Pretty sure 4 credit hours is sixty. I've had to use the conversion before for my CME in nursing and a 3 credit hour course was 45 hours. Could be wrong or a different calculation. I had the same thing for Penn, but they didn't ask for specific proof. I'm assuming they just look at your transcript.

from what I have found from scouring the interwebs, a college credit is a "semester credit hour"

From what I have gleaned from the link below "Most lecture and seminar courses are awarded 3 credit hours.  Over an entire semester, this formula represents at least 45 hours of class time and 90 hours of student preparation." i.e. 3=45. 4=60  (don't know about 4 credits = 120 hours of student prep, I think PA school was much more then that) :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEAQFjAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww2.ed.gov%2Fabout%2Foffices%2Flist%2Fous%2Finternational%2Fusnei%2Fus%2Fcredits.doc&ei=r6CcVKyiJarnsAST1oHwAw&usg=AFQjCNEBXS1Nu59iAhXwg4bz-KGueDN99w&sig2=Jqw30_Q0wj7ibl6viQb1Pg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cWc&cad=rja

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By pajourney
      I have written a blog post that may be of use to you. It describes, in detail, the steps I took to get credentialed/ready to work after graduating from PA school.
      Steps to Take After Graduating from PA School
    • By AspiringPA21
      Has anyone taken an online pharmacology course (distance learning) that counted towards the sGPA and was accepted by most schools? I live in NYC and I can't find any school in a close proximity that gives this course. One school did but they stopped since no one would register for the class. I have heard pharmacology has been a tough course for all students so I rather take that to boost my GPA and have the background when starting PA school (one day).
    • By DocGzotoPAc
      Any one else had an issue? And if so how did you get it done? I currently have resulted to asking my congressman to intervene.
      So before I became a PA I was a combat Medic with the US Army. I maintained a license not through an individual state but through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Since becoming a PA-C I need my license to practice in the state of CA. The state of CA requires form PA-7 to be sent from NREMT directly to the state exhibiting a letter of good standing. They have lost my forms on multiple occasions (4 to be exact) they won't ever give me any other information other than "you need to wait 30 days" it has now been 34 days since the 4th form was sent via fed ex with signature confirmation and I was told "whoops what we meant was 30 'business days' call back in a few weeks." This has been 4 months since my very first submission of the PA-7 form. 

Or does anyone have any recommendations? I've contacted the state who says I HAVE to have this form there's no other way. My application in its entirety is complete with the state except for this one piece of paper. My record with the NREMT is completely clean as well, the paper form is just not getting done or mailed out. Thanks guys! 
    • By jgs5205
      Hi All!

I am about to graduate from PA school this fall, and have begun looking into the licensing process. I plan to practice in the DC metro area (DC, MD, VA), and was wondering whether any folks living in/around DC have advice about licensing in the DC metro area? In particular, has anyone heard whether there is reciprocity between any of the states in the DC metro area? I'm planning to begin the licensing process for all three states, but to ultimately only submit my licensing application for the specific state in which I get a job. I'd really appreciate any insight you have about licensing/jobs in general in the DC Metro area!

Thanks!
      Joanna
    • By whoRyou
      Currently I am working in an assisted living/nursing home facility as a Resident Care Associate/Certified Nurse Aide. I have been there almost six months. Recently I was approached by a co-worker and asked if I would be interested in becoming a Med Aide. Do you believe if I do both this would enhance my chances when applying or should I just stick to being a CNA? Also, would it help pharmacology? TIA

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More