California Licensure prior EMT with NREMT

Any one else had an issue? And if so how did you get it done? I currently have resulted to asking my congressman to intervene.

So before I became a PA I was a combat Medic with the US Army. I maintained a license not through an individual state but through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Since becoming a PA-C I need my license to practice in the state of CA. The state of CA requires form PA-7 to be sent from NREMT directly to the state exhibiting a letter of good standing. They have lost my forms on multiple occasions (4 to be exact) they won't ever give me any other information other than "you need to wait 30 days" it has now been 34 days since the 4th form was sent via fed ex with signature confirmation and I was told "whoops what we meant was 30 'business days' call back in a few weeks." This has been 4 months since my very first submission of the PA-7 form. 

Or does anyone have any recommendations? I've contacted the state who says I HAVE to have this form there's no other way. My application in its entirety is complete with the state except for this one piece of paper. My record with the NREMT is completely clean as well, the paper form is just not getting done or mailed out. Thanks guys! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, roger777 said:

This is terrifying. What was the outcome? I have the same background and was just about to send this form to them. Were you able to deal with any helpful people there? This form should take 5 minutes to fill out. Anything over a week turnaround total is ridiculous.

So believe it or not I ended up having to contact my congressman, I was given a waiver by the PA state board due to extenuating circumstances and they awarded me my license. The PA board of California even tried to contact the NREMt  on my behalf with no resolution, nor were they ever sent my PA-7 form.  I am lucky I got the waiver but it has set me back around 3 months for one simple piece of paper to be filled out doing all this waiting. I recommend if NREMT doesn't send your PA-7 in 30 days you request a waiver from the PA board of California. 

I was an emt and medic in multiple counties and states prior to natl registry or the internet. getting my first few PA state licenses (I had 3 at one point, now have 2) was equally frustrating and involved lots of phone calls and driving to the ems headquarters of an organization I used to work with in another state.

Dang, this sounds frustrating.  I'm currently in the process of licensing in California, and also waiting for NREMT to send form PA-7 (along with 3 other states for license verification). I'm glad I read this thread so I know what to expect with NREMT. Good luck,  OP, thanks for sharing your story. 

Archived