Pharmacology course

Has anyone taken an online pharmacology course (distance learning) that counted towards the sGPA and was accepted by most schools? I live in NYC and I can't find any school in a close proximity that gives this course. One school did but they stopped since no one would register for the class. I have heard pharmacology has been a tough course for all students so I rather take that to boost my GPA and have the background when starting PA school (one day).

I took one online through the University of MN (I live here too) and I found it to be very easy however I had extensive exposure to pharmacology from paramedic school and being on the ambulance for ten years.  It counted as a prerequisite at every school I applied to that needed pharmacology as a prerequisite however it was not figured into my Biology/Chemistry/Physics GPA on CASPA because it is not one of those classes 

32 minutes ago, kettle said:

I took one online through the University of MN (I live here too) and I found it to be very easy however I had extensive exposure to pharmacology from paramedic school and being on the ambulance for ten years.  It counted as a prerequisite at every school I applied to that needed pharmacology as a prerequisite however it was not figured into my Biology/Chemistry/Physics GPA on CASPA because it is not one of those classes 

Would you know of any other college/uni that does have a pharmacology course that counts towards the sGPA? I really want to learn pharm but I would like it to boost my sGPA as well. I'm not sure how distant learning courses work if I take it online and being I'm from another state. Would you know how to send the transcript to CASPA as well?

If it were to boost your science GPA it would have to be through a biology, physics or chemistry department.  I do not know of any schools that offer pharm though these departments.  Mine was through the pharmacy school.  You send it to CASPA just like any other course from any school you take credits at

University of North Dakota has a good online pharmacology course. You can enroll anytime, and watch the lectures and take tests on your own schedule. I used an online proctoring service to take my tests, so there was never a need to be on or near campus. 

http://und.edu/academics/extended-learning/online-distance/courses/ppt315/

This counted as a prerequisite for all of the schools I applied to that required it. I don't believe a course needs to be offered through a bio, chem, or physics department to contribute to your science GPA. On CASPA's website pharmacology is listed as a course in the "Other Science/Science GPA" section. The science GPA and BCP GPA are separate calculations.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/CASPA_Course_Subjects

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edwar512 said:

University of North Dakota has a good online pharmacology course. You can enroll anytime, and watch the lectures and take tests on your own schedule. I used an online proctoring service to take my tests, so there was never a need to be on or near campus. 

http://und.edu/academics/extended-learning/online-distance/courses/ppt315/

This counted as a prerequisite for all of the schools I applied to that required it. I don't believe a course needs to be offered through a bio, chem, or physics department to contribute to your science GPA. On CASPA's website pharmacology is listed as a course in the "Other Science/Science GPA" section. The science GPA and BCP GPA are separate calculations.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/CASPA_Course_Subjects

That's awesome! How in depth is this pharmacology course?

20 hours ago, AspiringPA21 said:

That's awesome! How in depth is this pharmacology course?

It's the only pharmacology class I've taken, so without something to compare it to it's hard to say. I thought it was pretty comprehensive though. I was intimidated at first, because the lectures covered a lot of information regarding the physiology of drug actions and I hadn't taken physiology recently. But the tests were more focused on memorizing the trade name, generic name, use, class, and mechanism of action of different drugs. I think it gave me a good foundation, and I'm glad I have at least a basic understanding of pharmacology going into PA school. 

• Upvote 1

@aspirantPA

UC San Diego Extension has a pharmacology course that's only $347 and is 1/8/17 - 3/24/17. It's only 3 quarter units (so 2 semester units). I wanted to take the U of ND one because it seemed more extensive but its so expensive (pretty sure >$1000) & San Diego's seems like great content still! I am not sure if this would interest you  though because I do not believe it would count toward your sGPA plus its low credit hours.  I copied and pasted some of the information from the syllabus below

• course #: FPM-40382
  • # of units: 3
  • total # of instruction: 36
  • course description:
    • The courses specifically address topics covered in medical pharmacology, including indications and dosage, pharmacokinetics, drug interactions, adverse effects and contraindications.
  • course goals and objective:
    • Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
      ● Apply mathematics for drug usage and demonstrate accuracy in converting from one system to another.
      ● Understand the principles of drug administration and pharmaceutical preparations.
      ● Know common abbreviations related to route of administration and frequency of dosage.
      ● Identify the drugs and medications with their effect on our body systems such as; the digestive, respiratory, circulatory,
      urinary, nervous and endocrine.
      ● Recognize symptoms of untoward reactions.
      ● Identify the antibiotics as well as their functions, uses, and side effects.
      ● Know the antineoplastic drugs and the radioactive isotopes used in cancer and immunosuppressive therapy.
      ● Recognize the characteristics and functions of vitamins and minerals in the body.
      ● Posses a foundation and interest for further study in pharmacology.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, edwar512 said:

It's the only pharmacology class I've taken, so without something to compare it to it's hard to say. I thought it was pretty comprehensive though. I was intimidated at first, because the lectures covered a lot of information regarding the physiology of drug actions and I hadn't taken physiology recently. But the tests were more focused on memorizing the trade name, generic name, use, class, and mechanism of action of different drugs. I think it gave me a good foundation, and I'm glad I have at least a basic understanding of pharmacology going into PA school. 

Thank you so much!

26 minutes ago, Sades said:

@aspirantPA

UC San Diego Extension has a pharmacology course that's only $347 and is 1/8/17 - 3/24/17. It's only 3 quarter units (so 2 semester units). I wanted to take the U of ND one because it seemed more extensive but its so expensive (pretty sure >$1000) & San Diego's seems like great content still! I am not sure if this would interest you  though because I do not believe it would count toward your sGPA plus its low credit hours.  I copied and pasted some of the information from the syllabus below

• course #: FPM-40382
  • # of units: 3
  • total # of instruction: 36
  • course description:
    • The courses specifically address topics covered in medical pharmacology, including indications and dosage, pharmacokinetics, drug interactions, adverse effects and contraindications.
  • course goals and objective:
    • Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
      ● Apply mathematics for drug usage and demonstrate accuracy in converting from one system to another.
      ● Understand the principles of drug administration and pharmaceutical preparations.
      ● Know common abbreviations related to route of administration and frequency of dosage.
      ● Identify the drugs and medications with their effect on our body systems such as; the digestive, respiratory, circulatory,
      urinary, nervous and endocrine.
      ● Recognize symptoms of untoward reactions.
      ● Identify the antibiotics as well as their functions, uses, and side effects.
      ● Know the antineoplastic drugs and the radioactive isotopes used in cancer and immunosuppressive therapy.
      ● Recognize the characteristics and functions of vitamins and minerals in the body.
      ● Posses a foundation and interest for further study in pharmacology.

That sounds really good, especially for the price. I would have to look into both of them. Thank you so much!

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...