Ok. So Im a first-time licensee applicant. After waiting for 7 months I received notification that the State medical board will grant me a license on probationary status for two years to include monitoring and treatment secondary to EtOH use with self-referral to detox while still in training. Along with the probationary status and monitoring, they are going to make it public discipline with reports to FSMB and NPDB. Im wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation and what kind of lasting effect it had on your career, especially with employment or future licensing in other states.

I don't believe that it's possible to get a disciplinary action from a medical board expunged like you can for certain criminal convictions.  This will probably make it harder for you to get your 1st job.  However, if you do well in your 1st job and develop good skills and strong references, it's not likely to be anywhere near as much of an issue as you change jobs after 3-5 years of experience.

I know of EM physicians with public records of disciplinary actions still working.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I don't believe that it's possible to get a disciplinary action from a medical board expunged like you can for certain criminal convictions.  This will probably make it harder for you to get your 1st job.  However, if you do well in your 1st job and develop good skills and strong references, it's not likely to be anywhere near as much of an issue as you change jobs after 3-5 years of experience.

I know of EM physicians with public records of disciplinary actions still working.

What kind of disciplinary actions are you referring to?

Can the board not provide a remedy to do so in due time?

Substance abuse issues, EtOH in some cases, drugs in others.

I've seen physicians get released from terms of consent agreements and/or probation, usually after completing a period, often years, of monitoring.  However, I've never seen the records of the disciplinary actions go away.  You can check most medical boards' web sites for disciplinary actions and see.

• Like 1