This MUST be a joke...

Guest Rutheb

I ran across this ad. It sounds like an interesting job.

This is a unique position for a Physician Assistant who would like to work for a dynamic group of Pathologists. The job includes performance of bone marrow aspirate and biopsies, fine needle biopsies, skin biopsies, surgical pathology grossing, and some microscopy. The group currently performs approximately 600 bone marrows and over 750 CT guided fine needle biopsies a year.

Here's the joke part:

Compensation: Starting salary ranges from $50,000 to $75,000, and is commensurate with experience. The group offers excellent benefits.

I hope nobody takes them up on this salary!

I ran across this ad. It sounds like an interesting job.

This is a unique position for a Physician Assistant who would like to work for a dynamic group of Pathologists. The job includes performance of bone marrow aspirate and biopsies, fine needle biopsies, skin biopsies, surgical pathology grossing, and some microscopy. The group currently performs approximately 600 bone marrows and over 750 CT guided fine needle biopsies a year.

Here's the joke part:

Compensation: Starting salary ranges from $50,000 to $75,000, and is commensurate with experience. The group offers excellent benefits.

I hope nobody takes them up on this salary!

It's low range but not unheard of. 50k is a lowball offer looking for a sucker but 75k can be expected for many parts of the country.

Where in the US is it?

• 4 years later...

There is a race to the bottom going on in pathology/clinical laboratories. Call it the "Wal-Mart" effect--there is no other area of medicine more amenable to mass consolidation, volume discount, automation and wage depression. I've been laid off twice in 1.5 years trying to clutch on to what's left of laboratory work to go around and have seen my wage cut in half.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Right now I get paid 60 K year and no benefits. I have more than 30 years experience. I left a 100K + benefits job for this one. Once again this past week end I was offed a prestigious job with 100k + salary and tremendous benefits. Did I consider it? Not for a second. Would I trade jobs for 150K? Nope. For 200K . . . maybe if I worked less but even that would not be a slam dunk. But my point is, people work for different motivations and money isn't the only one. I work for autonomy, creativity and I expect the near future more money but I don't base my satisfaction on that.

Guest Paula
PAs will be thrilled to have a job like this in 10 years, 15 applicants who know no better and can do no better, mark my words.

Please expand. I will be retired in 10 years and love this profession. There must be a glut of new PAs coming in the future from the expansion of PA schools, and the competition will be such that PAs will take any job they can get. Is that what you mean? The quality of education of PAs is in a process of devolving?

Paula ... over 180 PA and NP new programs being created. Many of which are at lower ranked institutions without health science or medical schools formed. Some of these schools (in Ct and PA) are being created in areas with abundance of programs, anecdotal clinician saturation, and current faculty reporting dearth of preceptor locations. The PA school I teach at is currently sending students 1.5 hours out of a MAJOR city for a rotation, and because of new PA schools in that area the clinical site is threatened. I have gotten email and calls from a number of programs asking me if I would be willing to host students .... NOW I am sure they heard my name from someone and that gave them a degree of confidence, BUT this offer seems to be made without any test of my ability to provide this education. This perceived healthcare shortage some feel is overestimated. Even if it is correct the number of new providers being generated seems to be enormous. And the new centers providing this education seem to be inferior to what I expect as a patient and clinician.

The cooking school Johnson and Whales has even created a program .... everyone seems to be getting on the gravy train , at our expense.... I doubt any of these new PA schools are really focusing on professional trends. They probably read about degrees that earns a school big bucks and decided PA was the way to go. Of course I could be wrong ... this is my feeling anyway. I talk about it at length because it does not seem like anyone else is at professional meetings etc. I want to get the word out.

Paula ... over 180 PA and NP new programs being created. Many of which are at lower ranked institutions without health science or medical schools formed. Some of these schools (in Ct and PA) are being created in areas with abundance of programs, anecdotal clinician saturation, and current faculty reporting dearth of preceptor locations. The PA school I teach at is currently sending students 1.5 hours out of a MAJOR city for a rotation, and because of new PA schools in that area the clinical site is threatened. I have gotten email and calls from a number of programs asking me if I would be willing to host students .... NOW I am sure they heard my name from someone and that gave them a degree of confidence, BUT this offer seems to be made without any test of my ability to provide this education. This perceived healthcare shortage some feel is overestimated. Even if it is correct the number of new providers being generated seems to be enormous. And the new centers providing this education seem to be inferior to what I expect as a patient and clinician.

Which programs in CT are you referring to?

I believe Sacred Heart in Ct is creating a PA school, Univ Bridgeport just recently created a program. Johnson/whales is in either Ct or RI. I forget which NP programs are being created in the area. My information comes from two announcements in medical magazines (1 for PA, 1 for NP) which listed new programs. the ARC PA lists all the schools online.

University of Bridgeport (a new program) and Sacred Heart University (a developing program) are located in neighboring towns, and both are within a 30 minute drive on a good day to Yale and Quinnipiac.

Sacred Heart is opening a PA program, too?! Are you kidding me?! Univ. Bridgeport has already impacted some of Yale's clinical rotations and with Quinnipiac opening a medical school I'm sure that will have an effect as well.

SocialMedicine, I agree with you about JWU and schools/people jumping on the gravy train. The other day I was wearing my Yale PA jacket and the girl ringing up my purchase at a store asked me about it. She said she's trying to convince her boyfriend to go to PA school after he gets his PhD in Biochemistry (hes currently getting a BS in biochem now). To be fair one of my classmates had a PhD in biochem and went back to school to become a PA, but I really have no idea why she is telling him to go get another graduate degree unless she keeps reading those Forbes articles about how it's "one of the best master's degrees" and you can make "so much money" being a PA. Sigh.

http://www.sacredheart.edu/academics/collegeofartssciences/academicdepartments/biology/pre-medicaladvisement/areasofstudy/pre-physiciansassistant/

If a school doesn't know that the proper title of the the profession is PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT then you shouldn't be allowed to open a program. This is seriously one of my biggest pet peeves. How hard is it for people to realize it is two independent words that follow one another? I think I'm just going to start calling people Nurse's Practitioners and Medical's Doctors and see how everyone reacts.

Sounds like Austin.

I was asked two questions on the first job interview I ever went to out of PA school for a job in cardiovascular surgery. First question: are you willing to move near the hospital so you can be close if we get a call in the middle of the night? Reasonable question, answered yes since I only lived 10 minutes from the hospital anyway.

Second question: are you willing to accept a salary of 20% less than average for the privilege of staying in the Austin area? I told him that I would expect him to call my student loan financing company, mortgage company, car loan lender and credit card company and ask them if they would decrease all my outstanding balances by 20%, accept 20% less than the minimum payment each month and get back to me in writing when he had his answers. I picked up my sandwich off the tray, so I at least got a free lunch out of this waste of my time, and walked out of the cafeteria.

I didn't think a thank you note for the interview was warranted...

Archived