HCE Advice

^I didn't mean to get so lost in a tangent there. The lesson to be had is get a job where you can absorb as much as possible around you. PCP office where you work closely with providers? Great. ED tech? Always good in my opinion. EMT-B? Great, hopefully you get on with a busy service (THAT RUNS 911 and NOT JUST TRANSPORTS). I have done all of that and each has given me something unique. I just need some formal schooling now!

One last thought...I have multiple friends that were in healthcare in the military, and most of their experience is indeed more varied and has greater depth than mine. With the exception of volume and certain types of patients (you don't see that many elderly in the military), the experience could be qualified as "better", at least in my opinion.

I have a standing offer with one of our trauma attendings that next open chest, I get first dibs on cardiac massage (bucket list). He promised to coach me on proper technique, and I have watched a couple youtube videos - haha. No formal training on that one for me!

I did that as a "see one, do one" on my trauma rotation as a student.

er tech, cna, etc part time

Thanks.

Although I've since looked at my transcripts - I've been out of undergrad for ten years - and realized I pulled Cs in both gen chems my first two semesters, as well as a D+ in an unrelated math course. Freshman year studying habits, for sure, but I have a feeling I may have torpedoed myself already...

Unless - if the school's requirement is that the science pre-reqs must be taken in the last ten years, are they looking at the grades for classes I can't use to satisfy anything?

Unless - if the school's requirement is that the science pre-reqs must be taken in the last ten years, are they looking at the grades for classes I can't use to satisfy anything?

Yes, they look at your entire transcript. So all your grades are looked at. That being said, I don't think you've "torpedoed" yourself, lol. Those grades aren't something that you can't make up for before you apply to PA school. Schools are usually inclined to look past something that was early on in your academic career -- especially your freshman year. Just retake the class and get a better grade. You'll have to do that anyway if they were taken more than 10 years ago.

Good luck!

yup, this is how medicine is taught. see one, do one, teach one. repeat with next skill. I learned every clinical procedure this way.

"snarkiest nurse" is actually great advice. I would add crusty as well. generally > 50 yrs old and wanting to turf as much work to others as possible. teach me to do IVs and you can drink coffee when one needs to be started in the dept....:)

Haha we have a few of those in the ICU. They are invaluable when it comes to vents and during panic moments but man do they bitch and turf their work on us youngins.

Archived