I was a phlebotomist for 3 years before PA school, and it was a great job for me. I worked in a small hospital with inpatient, outpatient, and emergency room duties. Learned a whole lot about care in different areas of the hospital and about various lab tests, which did come in handy for school. If you decide to go this route make sure that you attend a high quality training program or can be well-trained on the job. There are a lot of sketchy phlebotomy courses out there. You can't learn to be a good phlebotomist in a day or two, no matter what some people claim.

Its good and bad....

Some schools just want PCE and Phleb counts and you can get a lot of hours quickly.  Other schools want Patient Care and they consider Phelb very low quality hours so 1000 hours don't weigh significantly.

I combined my Phleb, athletic training and MLS hours to show breadth, depth and quantity.   It allowed for a lot of questions I could expand on during interviews.

Good luck

In general, it is better for all of your HCE to not be a single skill, like phleb, ekg tech, scribe, or pt transporter. These are all considered lower tier experience. As others have mentioned, a cert which includes multiple skills like MA, CNA, RN, EMT, paramedic, RT, etc is a much better bet for gaining PA school admission. 

Again, yes and no. I think the whole PCE is overhyped. You learn how to be a PA in PA school, so your previous experience isn't a make or break deal. I think phlebotomy is a very practical skill to have - wish I were better at non ultrasound IVs. But my opinion is probably in the minority. And ultimately it is up to the individual schools. So despite what is said on this forum, I'd ask the schools you want to apply to.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By patelp
      I would love to get some guidance of previous or current Canadians applying to PA schools in USA. 
      Thank you! 🙂
    • By TannerH
      I am having a great deal of anxiety and stress regarding applying to schools this coming month. As I am sure a ton of Pre-PA students are, I am finding myself wondering if I am "good enough" or have done enough to stand out to PA programs. I have tried to make myself a well rounded candidate and any recommendations on how to improve would be greatly appreciated! My stats and details are below. 
      Undergraduate degree: Kinesiology and Health Promotion 
      Undergraduate GPA 3.6
      Science GPA: 3.6
      Undergraduate Classes:
      A&P I & II w/ Lab
      General Chem I & II w/ lab
      Organic Chem I w/ lab
      General Biology I w/ lab
      Cell Biology  
      Microbiology w/ lab 
      General psych and Sociology 
      Medical Terminology 
      Statistics 
      Other Classes: 
      Gross Anatomy 
      Biomechanics 
      Exercise Physiology 
      GRE: 298 & 3.5
      Experience: ED Scribe 2,000 hrs
      ED technician: 100 hours (just started)
      PT Aide: 500 hours 
      Shadowing: 75 hours ED PA's 
      50 Hours Orthopedic PA & Surgeon in clinic and OR
      Volunteer hours: 55 
      Collegiate Involvement: College baseball student athlete and team captain
      Kinesiology Club treasurer  

• By KH21444
      Hello!
      I'm currently in my undergrad program taking my prerequisites for PA school. I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2023 and applying for PA school that same year.
      As I begin my PA school research, I keep having self-doubts on my ability to learn the content in PA school, which questions my ability to "make it" as a PA.
      While I am doing well in my undergrad/prerequisite courses, I fear I am not genuinely learning the information - just merely memorizing and doing well on exams. My question is: Will I/How badly will I struggle in PA school if I don't remember/didn't efficiently learn the coursework from prerequisites like Biology/A&P/Chemistry?
      I do not fear applying for PA school/getting accepted (aware that it may not happen the first time I apply), but my current GPA is 3.8 and I've been working full-time as a medical assistant for 3 years (plenty of PCE, HCE & shadowing). However, I fear getting into PA school and having the feeling of "what did I get myself into". I've had PAs that I work for all tell me that I can do it, but I keep having this lingering self-doubt that my ADHD brain and I will not be able to grasps concepts like others will due to my lack of deep understanding during prerequisites (and just having recently been diagnosed with ADHD & still learning what medication works best for me).
      Is this feeling normal?
      Thank you to whoever can give me some honest insight!
    • By lilyclare
      Hello. To begin, I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I could not find the information I needed for my situation. Google results articles are incredibly vague so hopefully speaking to people will be better for me!
      I am an undergraduate pre-PA student. I am interested in going through the military for PA school. I do not have any military involvement at this point in time. Do they train people with a bachelor's degree, is it paid for, how many years of service will I be committed to? The little information I could find online leads me to believe they only train people who are already in service, but I've been told otherwise by people who kind of know what they are talking about, kind of not. Any answers to the questions above or any related questions I might have forgotten would be greatly appreciated! 
    • By Lidia86
      Hello everyone. I would like to hear your opinions on online lab classes due to the Covid-19 situation right now. So I’m enrolled in general chemistry with an online lab, and I am contemplating on dropping the class because I’m afraid schools won’t accept it. (Also waist of time and money) Thanks for your opinions. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More