SP is writing Rx's for a co-worker without documentation

Well, the owner found out any way and he asked me about it. I just gave a brief synopsis of what transpired and said I didn't want to be involved or named. 

I have other jobs, and am interviewing for another to fill this one's spot. 

The pharmacy that called our office has the evidence. In California we have a site called "CURES" (I think) and it tracks who gets what meds, the number, the date filled, and the prescribing practitioner. So if proof is needed it can be looked up. I am walking away from the situation ASAP.

One of our MAs told me that my SP asked her to pick up his Rx for 270 Methadone pills. I am not going to mention it to any one because it's hearsay, but it validates my decision to leave that place. 

Problem child, I feel the same way, but as a PA I have to make sure I follow mandated reporting requirements and cover my butt. 

Oneal, I couldn't agree more. 

Will keep you posted.

We do have one in California. I have just found out that my SP's license was on probation for 2-3 years for using and being in possession of controlled substances 10 years ago (Google is amazing!) At this time he is my only SP at this clinic, the other one quit 2 months ago.

Ugh, what a nightmare. I'm so sorry.

You realize that you need a new SP, and quite possibly a new job, like right now, right?

EDIT: too late! Wow, that escalated quickly.

Follow you gut feeling. Get out fast. Don't look back. Don't report it without facts to back your claim. Avoid the HA going to court. Walk. Keep on walking. Do it with a smiling face. Like nothing ever happen. And, while you're at the door. Before you shot the door behind. Look at your SP for the last time. And, thank him kindly for the opportunity. For the training. Tell him that you'll be available if he need you to cover his vacation (psych). It business as usual. Good luck!

good point Oneal. My dad was a doc and he had his script pad stolen once. he got a call from the pharmacy when the idiot wrote:

valium 10 mg tabs #1000

1 three times daily for anxiety

refills: " Unlimited"

guy is probably still in jail.

That's not a valid sig?  I better change my rx writing habits

Follow you gut feeling. Get out fast. Don't look back. Don't report it without facts to back your claim. Avoid the HA going to court. Walk. Keep on walking. Do it with a smiling face. Like nothing ever happen. And, while you're at the door. Before you shot the door behind. Look at your SP for the last time. And, thank him kindly for the opportunity. For the training. Tell him that you'll be available if he need you to cover his vacation (psych). It business as usual. Good luck!

could not say it better

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Nothing happened to my SP even after he was found out by the owner. I don't know how he talked his way out of it, but somehow he did. Either that, or the owner doesn't realize that writing for #120 Methadone and Norco without a documented visit is a no-no. I got a new job and am out of there soon. Thanks for all your replies and posts!

Archived