Innovations in Healthcare w/o PAs

So, I came down with some GI bug  (I think food-borne) crud in the middle of the night.  I still felt awful this morning so instead of going for my Saturday morning run, I laid in bed for two hours watching a broadcast of a a seminar being held in Seattle by the Harvard Business and Medical schools plus Mayo Clinic.  It was about innovations in healthcare and if they are good or bad for the future.

My summary, it was a freaken pep-rally for NPs . . . by MDs.  Spotlighted was the tele-stroke program run by Mayo and Swedish where a NP is on the other end diagnosing acute strokes and recommending TPA - or not.  Then they looked at retail clinics and the role of NPs in that setting.  They discussed the fears about them (you know them all) and then disproved each fear one by one.  The Harvard physician was emphatic that NPs = MDs in the quality of care and they are the future of healthcare cost containment.  One of the biggest obstacles to NPs, per the speaker, were the restrictions on their scope of practice.  

So, I heard NPs mentioned at least 100 times.  PAs?  Not once.  Not even alluded to ("Midlevels").  Absolutely nothing.  There is a problem here folks.  We are not on the radar of the thought leaders at this juncture..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we're just assistants, why would we want to help further the american healthcare system? don't we just go to school to help doctors with instruments and taking BPs and stuff?

This all goes back to our name and the lack of PR concerning our profession. most americans think we are medical assistants, until that changes, nothing else will.

Guest Paula

Yikes!  This is bad.  Is there a link to the broadcast somewhere for others to watch it?  We need to find a DVD of it and send to AAPA.   Hey, PAFT is doing all we can BUT we need all hands on deck.  Join us and get involved.   

There is something terribly wrong when Mayo clinic and Harvard Business and Medical Schools ignore PAs.  I just got a postcard in the mail today advertising PA careers from Mayo.  

I am getting concerned more and more for the PA profession........

Guest Paula

I know many of us have lost faith in AAPA but they need to know about this.  I posted on Clinician 1.  

Revolution Needed. 

Or we demand to take NP boards.

And this hits keep on coming....I have a nursing degree (easiest means to support family with GI bill in healthcare) but have wanted to go to PA school as I admire the style of PA education and have much more respect for the medical educational model vs the Nursing model.  But as I struggle to pay bills and support my family the options before me are:  

-i have to somehow take 3-4 more classes (with good grades) than take the GRE and then apply to PA school, than not work for ~2yrs just to achieve assistant and second run status?  

-Or, I could just apply to NP school this second and bite the bullet that is nursing education, and make sure i study hard, do extra clinicals and ensure im hooked up with an excellent preceptor so that I learn as much as i can, all while be able to work and support my family (very important).  

It just seems like becoming a PA is like some kind of altruistic sacrifice and becoming an NP is just logical.  It makes me mad cuz I really DONT want to be an NP.  but why the eff should I take on the profession of PA that, although it has existed for like 6 decades and has a far stronger claim to legitimate clinician education, has gotten passed and frankly embarrassed on a national stage by upstart nursing lobbys?  What can I look that that would suggest that it would ever change?  

I am just shaking my head in disgust right now.  CMON AAPA, you are getting your ass kicked and are losing future PAs.

And this hits keep on coming....I have a nursing degree (easiest means to support family with GI bill in healthcare) but have wanted to go to PA school as I admire the style of PA education and have much more respect for the medical educational model vs the Nursing model. But as I struggle to pay bills and support my family the options before me are:

-i have to somehow take 3-4 more classes (with good grades) than take the GRE and then apply to PA school, than not work for ~2yrs just to achieve assistant and second run status?

-Or, I could just apply to NP school this second and bite the bullet that is nursing education, and make sure i study hard, do extra clinicals and ensure im hooked up with an excellent preceptor so that I learn as much as i can, all while be able to work and support my family (very important).

It just seems like becoming a PA is like some kind of altruistic sacrifice and becoming an NP is just logical. It makes me mad cuz I really DONT want to be an NP. but why the eff should I take on the profession of PA that, although it has existed for like 6 decades and has a far stronger claim to legitimate clinician education, has gotten passed and frankly embarrassed on a national stage by upstart nursing lobbys? What can I look that that would suggest that it would ever change?

I am just shaking my head in disgust right now. CMON AAPA, you are getting your ass kicked and are losing future PAs.

Well said. -pa-s, rn

Just glad I'm near the tail end and not the beginning. No way I'd make the same decision knowing what I know now.

yup. I still have 20 + years to practice , but am looking at other exit strategies like teaching, overseas work, etc.

If I was staring over I would definitely go to med school.

^^^^ Also full of great advice and wisdom, I should add.  For which I have great appreciation.  But geez!  Depressing...

yup. it is what it is....go rural and you should have a lot fewer problems with autonomy and respect. I hope to end up in full time rural practice in the near future.

This is heartbreaking. I feel guilty sometimes for leaving the profession--then I read something like this and I'm so glad I did go back to med school. I just couldn't stand the notion of 30 more years of being the invisible yet dependable PA doing the actual work.

Why do you think I'm trying to move into research full time? LOL.....Similar feelings here.

This is heartbreaking. I feel guilty sometimes for leaving the profession--then I read something like this and I'm so glad I did go back to med school. I just couldn't stand the notion of 30 more years of being the invisible yet dependable PA doing the actual work.

Stay connected to the profession as you've done Lisa. Use your new position and role to advocate for the PA profession. Will be following your foot step most likely next session and that's what I intend to do. For now, I'm researching the DHSc >>> PhD tract.

Archived