who opens the mail in your office?

Every piece of mail that comes to the office is opened by the physician.  I had ordered samples and found them on my desk with the box wide opan including the samples.  I confroted her and she informed me that she opens every piece of mail that comes in.    She does have OCD, ADD, and I suspect some other initials as well.  She never walk but always runs and micromanages everyone and every thing.  She plants herself outside of the office where the clinicians sit to "listen" to everything we say.

I am quite upset about the mail issue.  Just venting.  Thanks.  Have called for a sit down today, Saturday with the administrator (her husband).  May be looking for work Monday.  I'm in Houston.  : )

Careful here in your approach before you say or do anythings that would backfire. I've been in similar situation in the past and I'm sure most PAs has if that makes you feel better. Don't kill yourself over it. Let it go. Make sure your personal mails are sent to your home address and not your business address. Again, most practice, the administrator or business manager open every mails that comes in. The legality is debatable.

I had the same type of SP AND administrator. I walked. Didn't mention why since I knew it would do no good. I'm still walking... One year later, along with other needs which have appeared which would have warranted same approach regardless, I have no regrets. I also don't miss the patient care quite honestly. My wife likes to blame it on them though they were probably just the last straw. ;-)

In most businesses (medical or not), someone opens the mail if the addressee isn't around, unless it's marked personal. This is because it might be a time-critical business issue that someone needs to handle right away. In our practice, either the practice manager or the office manager does. Samples are logged in, which is what the Pharm Board wants.

I frankly don't take it personally. 

not worth worrying about.....

If it is marked personal it needs to be opened only by you

if it is business mail - let them open it... who cares....

you have admitted that your SP is a bit OCD - you will loose if you challenge on this....     let it go

^^^. Darn you, V!!!! My wife's been humming that song from Frozen this morning and now you've put it back in my head ("let it go" phrase). ;-)

TWR, as noted, I can relate. We had the same policy in our gov't. office and all the ricin events didn't help things. Unless one has worked for someone, or in this case more than one, it's hard to relate. When peers look at them as being "out there" I knew it wasn't just me. Looking back, I can't believe I lasted as long as I did. The flip side is when potential employers want to talk with them and they give off this crazy vibe over the phone. Honestly, I don't want anyone to talk with them. Unfortunately for me, other prior employers are retiring or dying off.

Guest jb555

In our office, each SP and PA has their own nurse, who is the one that opens mail for us. If something looks more personal they'll just bring it to us to open, but that is rare since we typically don't use our business address if we don't want other people seeing it. 

Archived