Online courses at the University of New England

I'm doing Medical Physiology now. I've already taken A&P but this this interesting as it is through a medical POV.

MrEven, did you buy the textbook through UNE's bookstore or would I be able to purchase it via amazon or another book seller? Also, how are the labs for Physiology?

Avoid their biochemistry class like the plague. See my post in the online class thread for more details. The class is very poorly organized, I would imagine that half the students taking it the same time I did ended up dropping the class.

I didn't have any of the same problems with their online chemistry classes so the problems appear to be isolated to biochem.

Avoid their biochemistry class like the plaque. See my post in the online class thread for more details. The class is very poorly organized, I would imagine that half the students taking it the same time I did ended up dropping the class.

I didn't have any of the same problems with their online chemistry classes so the problems appear to be isolated to biochem.

Thanks! That's definitely nice to know. Maybe I should look into UC Berkeley's biochem then.

Avoid their biochemistry class like the plaque. See my post in the online class thread for more details. The class is very poorly organized, I would imagine that half the students taking it the same time I did ended up dropping the class.

Yikes. I basically have to take biochem there pretty soon.

I did perform a search for posts about the course. I didn't see your post, but I did find a number of other threads where people spoke more positively about it. I hope it's not that bad.

Yikes. I basically have to take biochem there pretty soon.

I did perform a search for posts about the course. I didn't see your post, but I did find a number of other threads where people spoke more positively about it. I hope it's not that bad.

I'll post my review below. The problem with some of the other reviews is that UNE recently overhauled the class so older reviews aren't relevant. The main issues with the biochem class is that some exam questions literally stop mid-sentence, everything is closed note and closed book which would be a problem if they didn't ask such detailed and obscure questions.

In the end it's up to you to decide, but just know that a vast majority of students struggled big time and ended up dropping the class.

I've had a few people PM me asking about the UNE biochem class so I thought I would post my experience here. In my honest opinion it is one of the worst classes I've ever taken. I've decided to drop the class rather than continue on. The lecture presentations frequently don't line up with what the slides say and the slides are rife with mistakes. The class was recently overhauled and it honestly needs to be redone from scratch. The grammatical errors are also carried over into the quizzes and exams, sometimes questions stop mid-sentence.

The level of detail they ask in quizzes and exams is seriously insane, especially when you take into consideration that they are all closed note and closed book. None of the other classes offered by UNE that I've seen have these restrictions. It's as though UNE doesn't realize the added difficulties of taking a distance learning course. Reading the emails that other students have been sending back and forth, I would guess that close to half are considering withdrawing from the class. Until the class is improved by fixing mistakes and either adjusting the difficulty or allowing the use of notes during tests, I would highly recommend you look elsewhere for a biochem class.

I second the comments about the biochemistry course. Just to clarify, I am not sour because I did poorly; I got a high A, but in my honest opinion the course is not an application based course. The quizzes and tests were pretty much regurgitation of powerpoint slides and pathways that one painstakingly memorizes. No application questions whatsoever...they barley required one to critically think about the material......

Thanks! That's definitely nice to know. Maybe I should look into UC Berkeley's biochem then.

UC berkeley also has an online ochem that is accepted by some places. no lab, but not all places require a lab.

The DO bridge at Lecom does not require a lab so the 3 unit online course meets all ochem requirements there. I have this directly from the program director...not that I have been thinking about this much, or every day, or anything....:)

UC berkeley also has an online ochem that is accepted by some places. no lab, but not all places require a lab.

The DO bridge at Lecom does not require a lab so the 3 unit online course meets all ochem requirements there. I have this directly from the program director...not that I have been thinking about this much, or every day, or anything....:)

EMEDPA, thanks for your help and good luck with your DO bridge program! :)

• 2 years later...

Took biochem recently at UNE as well, agree with PA2016 and SBRAKE, no change since 2013.  To me it seems like the course was thrown together as a quick way to generate revenue with little oversight into quality.  I ended up sticking it out, was beyond frustrating.  I had taken Biochem 10 years earlier in grad school and had a good foundation even. I found it difficult due to the poor organization of the course materials.  

I also took their Medical Terminology MEDT1000 course.  It was even worse.  Have to say it was the worst course I have ever taken.  The material was not difficult at all. But again the course was thrown together, the quiz and exam questions had incorrect answers.  For the fill in the blank sections you could have the correct answer but if you put in 'growth hormone' vs GH it would be marked incorrect.  I'd contact the instructor to see if he could review the exam and there was never a response, or correction. After 10 emails and no response I contacted the head of the department and her response was that the instructor was too busy to bother with this. Go figure! Pay $1000 never have any instructor interaction and get a B in the course that you actually had an A in.  It was the first B I had in 100 credits of science and language courses.

Archived