Bill O'Reilly and The Factor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is distressing, both the use of the physician's assistant and his completely inaccurate description of our education and training.

But then again, most everything that BillO says is distressing and designed to inflame. That's how he makes the big bucks. I don't consider him, or most of cable news to hold much journalistic integrity these days.

Plus, when he talks, all I hear is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2YDq6FkVE (language warning) :)

send him an email.  Be nice but firm. oreilly@foxnews.com

here is mine:

Your recent description of PAs on your show was unfair and inaccurate.Most of us possess a masters degree and have significant experience and responsibility. I staff a rural emergency department as a solo clinician interchangeably with a group of physicians for example.

Please acknowledge your error on the air.

Thank you-

XXXXXX, PA-C, MS
Doctoral Candidate, Global Health
Emergency Medicine PA

send him an email. Be nice but firm. oreilly@foxnews.com

here is mine:

Your recent description of PAs on your show was unfair and inaccurate.Most of us possess a masters degree and have significant experience and responsibility. I staff a rural emergency department as a solo clinician interchangeably with a group of physicians for example.

Please acknowledge your error on the air.

Thank you-

XXXXXX, PA-C, MS

Doctoral Candidate, Global Health

Emergency Medicine PA

Well done.

I am hoping he receives a thousand emails about this. folks from both the PA forum and Clinician1 are aware of this and already sending replies.

remember, nice but firm. demand an on-air apology. The board of PAFT is also looking into this matter and likely will send a formal letter to the producers of the show and to mr oreilly.

On matters such as this we need to work with the AAPA, PAFT, and as individuals to stop the perpetuation of this type of misinformation being spread in the public realm.

Thanks-

E

Thank you Steve, Emedpa, and everyone else. I guess you just have to say consider the source, very right wing anti-ACA. I sent my e-mail:

Mr. O'Reilly,
I just finished watching your interview with Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, discussing his book and the survey of American Doctors on their opinions of the impact of the Affordable Care Act. I am a Physician Assistants (PA) with over 35 years in practice and I would like to take exception to your remarks about Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners (NP). Your description of our education and your impression of the quality of care we provide was wildly inaccurate. With all due respect, I like to take this opportunity to offer you some factual information about our professions. The PAs and NPs are educated at the graduate-level and most of them hold a masters degree or higher. The education and training mirrors that of a medical student and upon graduation both providers are required to taking certifying examination in order to be licensed to practice. PAs and NPs practice with physician oversight, provide a wide variety of high quality health care services and are granted the authority to exercise independent judgment with medical decision-making.

I am currently associated with a company that contracts with a major pharmacy chain to staff their ten walk-in clinics in the Northeast Ohio area. These clinics have been in operation long before the ACA was enacted and they service well over 200-250 patients a day. The clinics are open seven days per week, 10 hours per day and are staffed solely by PAs and NPs with a physician readily available by electronic communication. Physicians exercise oversight and control by meeting with the providers on a regular basis to review their professional activity and a random sample of the patients they served.

I will not take up any more of your time because I'm certain you will be getting a multitude of e-mails from PAs and NPs, as well as, our national professional Associations.  I do enjoy watching your program which at times is extremely slanted to the right but can be also very entertaining. Thank you for allowing me to express my concerns.

John D. Trimbath, PA-C, MPAS
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, PA Program Graduate 1979
University of Nebraska, Masters of Physician Assistant Studies in Emergency Medicine
Distinguished Alumnus GWU-SMHS  2004

Guest Paula

I sent an email too.  Unfortunately on the show tonight he read letters from viewers.  He read one from a patient who saw an NP at a walk-in clinic who refused to give her antibiotics for her "bronchitis" and she ended up getting pneumonia. 

Bleh.........The patient probably had the influenza.........with viral bronchitis....and was used to getting a Z-Pack from her all knowing physician whenever she gets a cold. 

That cartoon is so bad. Not only ignorantly offensive, but I think the "artist" needs to read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. We should send the creator of that abomination a few emails...and a few anatomy/drawing books.

Also, my grandparents see their PA and love him! :)

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Bill O'Reilly is nothing but a skidmark on the tighty-whities of America.

He's despicable in so many ways, and now I have yet one more reason to abhor him.

I should write a letter, but I'm afraid I could not contain myself and it would rapidly degenerate into an f-bomb fest.

Maybe I'll have my husband write it on my behalf, so I can maintain my sanity.

I believe that most people are missing the larger picture. The undertones imply that the PA profession is a product of the ACA. If this sentiment abounds then we will have bigger pr problems then ever before. Now is an important time for the AAPA, PAFT and all other pro-PA organizations including state associations to ban together and educate the ignorant masses.

While everyone's opinion is important, you do have to consider the source. Bill is an entertainer. Some people get their facts from him I'm sure, and it would be nice if he had the correct facts to give them. On the other hand, unless it would increase his ratings over Hannity's, or sell more books on "The Killing of (fill in the blank)", I'm not sure that he'd be interested.

An interesting take can be found in the book "An Atheist in the Fox Hole" which was written by someone who used to be on his staff.

I put folks like O'Reilly, Hannity, Colbert and John Stewart in the same basket.  It is all editorialized nonsense that is masked as pseudo-news or entertainment.  They do nothing more than push the agenda of billionaire power-brokers while they become millionaires.  It's a good racket, I'll give them that.  I prefer to do my own thinking, but that is another discussion.

Archived