Bill O'Reilly and The Factor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to Stewart and Colbert, the latter two are actually marketed as satirical shows...on comedy central.  

True and they do like to hide behind that.  The problem is, although they are "satirical", many viewers actually believe that their opinions are actual representations of the news....journalism.  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/young-get-news-from-comedy-central/ John Stewart and Colbert are both open and outspoken about their political views outside of their shows and it reflects in their shows.  They only take pot-shots at anything they and their producers feel isn't in line with their viewpoints.  It is journalism without the rules of journalism.  They spread just as much misinformation as the blow-hards over at Faux but don't have to answer for anything that is inaccurate because it is "entertainment" and they are using "artistic" license for satire. They are funny though. 

Just my opinion.

Sorry, about the derail.  Anywho, I sent an email to the O'reilly show.  I am sure it will be round filed.

Generally, I think, O'Reilly does a good job of representing the views of millions of conservative Americans. In this instance he is, unfortunately, wrong. I don't know if he is ill informed or just trying to use a scare tactic to discredit the ACA. Either way, the reference to "just graduated from the community college" after bringing up Physician's Assistants and Nurse Practitioners is clearly prejudicial and does a great disservice to both professions. I wish Emmanuel had done a better job of defending the PA and NP professions. It was a great lost opportunity.

The truth is that a lot of primary care may actually end up in urgent care clinics. That would be terrific for a lot of patients. I cringe at having to wait in a doctor's office for every appointment and would prefer to see a PA in an urgent care clinic for many minor illnesses if my time could be used more efficiently. Even for more serious matters, if I am told I have to wait two or three weeks to get a doctor's appointment, I ask if there is a PA I could see earlier. Too bad the advantages of the PA profession were not brought up in the interview. But then, again, all off these talking head programs are just as biased as an Obama speech. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Signed and shared on Facebook. I also emailed it to my former classmates and for distribution to the PAs of all departments in my institution.

I don't so much care for the apology, as I honestly couldn't care less what BOR thinks.

But I think he's done the public a grave disservice by undermining trust in the care provided by PAs and NPs, especially when so many more patients are expected to seek care once insured through the ACA.

He's being reckless, contributing to the lack of access to medical care, all to advance his own agenda of railing against the ACA.

I am a Physician Assistants (PA) with over 35 years in practice and I would like to take exception to your remarks about Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners (NP). Your description of our education and your impression of the quality of care we provide was wildly inaccurate. With all due respect, I like to take this opportunity to offer you some factual information about our professions. The PAs and NPs are educated at the graduate-level and most of them hold a masters degree or higher. The education and training mirrors that of a medical student and upon graduation both providers are required to taking certifying examination in order to be licensed to practice. PAs and NPs practice with physician oversight, provide a wide variety of high quality health care services and are granted the authority to exercise independent judgment with medical decision-making.

I was just going to point out a typo but I just realized this is from March 05. I'm late to the party, it seems. I still think the topic of conversation is worthwhile, however-- is it necessarily in our best interest to always align ourselves with NPs in these situations and to portray our training as similar or equivalent/interchangeable? Those of us who are recent grads or current students are acutely aware that this is not the case, particularly as we sometimes find ourselves in clinical situations under some degree of supervision by NPs who, more often than not, completed ADN->MSN programs with the latter being largely done online and their clinical component being entirely composed of 1 rotation with 1 specific preceptor, who they choose and set up themselves. I'm not writing this to disparage NPs or to say that PAs are fundamentally superior, but I'm just interested to hear opinions from other people on whether or not we are benefiting or hurting (or neither) the PA profession by always approaching these types of things in this manner, in what seems like an attempt to capitalize on the public's greater familiarity with the NP profession (compared to ours).

I was just going to point out a typo but I just realized this is from March 05. I'm late to the party, it seems. I still think the topic of conversation is worthwhile, however-- is it necessarily in our best interest to always align ourselves with NPs in these situations and to portray our training as similar or equivalent/interchangeable? Those of us who are recent grads or current students are acutely aware that this is not the case, particularly as we sometimes find ourselves in clinical situations under some degree of supervision by NPs who, more often than not, completed ADN->MSN programs with the latter being largely done online and their clinical component being entirely composed of 1 rotation with 1 specific preceptor, who they choose and set up themselves. I'm not writing this to disparage NPs or to say that PAs are fundamentally more superior, but I'm just interested to hear opinions from other people on whether or not we are benefiting or hurting (or neither) the PA profession by always approaching these types of things in this manner, in what seems like an attempt to capitalize on the public's greater familiarity with the NP profession (compared to ours).

That's an entirely separate argument/debate. The issue here is attempting to correct a man who appeals to the masses - a man who writes books that are factually deficient or flat-out wrong, and yet they are national best-sellers anyway. That is the problem here - his mass dissemination of misinformation to a large base of people who lap up anything he spews as fact, including his opinion. On this issue, given the context of what he said, NPs and PAs should be banding together to get him to correct himself on-air.

Very nice Steve. also, thanks for "in concert with" instead of using the S word. looks/sounds much better.

You are most welcome. I actually got a lot of help from my editorial staff at AAPA for this one. In doing research, I noticed on the AAPA website that there was still an "S" word in a very prominent place. They are in the process of purging the "S" word from everywhere on the website. However, It takes time because there are tens of thousands of pages on AAPA.org.

I have not been using the "S" word for a very long time now. :-)

Guest Paula

Please read my Friday blog regarding educating the media about PAs. This was published today on physicianspractice.com.

http://www.physicianspractice.com/blog/why-bill-oreilly-got-it-wrong-about-physician-assistants

Excellent article.  I too have replaced the term supervising physician with collaborating physician or I use physician partner or physician colleague. 

The bottom line is his show is not news but entertainment and I doubt this will bleed into our practice in any real way. While it is offensive I simply think our efforts are better focused on more relevant issues. Just my opinion.

The problem is there are a lot of dumb people out there that take everything that comes out of Bill-Os mouth as the gospel.

Before you know it, Mary tells John, John tells Susan, and Susan tells Frank that PAs only have CC educations and now none of them want to be seen by a PA...no matter how hard you hit them with your diploma/credentials.

It hurts the PA image, and the sheeple are many.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

O'Reilly just commented on PAs and NPs again during an Obamacare discussion w/ Krauthammer.  He stated, essentially, that as MDs leave the system and get replaced with PAs and NPs, healthcare will decline dramatically.  It's true that healthcare is changing, but tying PAs to declining healthcare is not good for our image.

I don't think he's going to apologize lol. Are you saying that a combination of fewer doctors and more NPs/PA's will either improve or maintain current levels of care? Just saying that part may be an accurate statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's the data showing that MDs and DOs are "leaving the system"?

With new/newer US medical schools opening/opened and increased class sizes AND the hundreds of thousands of kids wanting to fill them each year. Nope, I'll need to see the data on that statement.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Archived