PA Forum . . . a New Direction? Pre PA Forum?

Okay, maybe it it's my fault, but after Michael did a re-work of the PA Forum several months ago I set my browser to come through the "What's New" door. Since then, I've noticed that 98% of the posts, so it seems, are about the Pre-PA issues. There's nothing wrong with that. I wish a forum like this was around when I was applying to PA schools.

However, has this reflected a major shift in the demographics of this forum? I mean, we use to have a lot of case presentations, and other issues that deal with the practicing PA. I just wondered if other's have noticed this shift and should we recruit more practicing PAs to be a part? I know I rarely post anymore because I don't have much to add to the discussions about schools and the application process.

Okay, maybe it it's my fault, but after Michael did a re-work of the PA Forum several months ago I set my browser to come through the "What's New" door. Since then, I've noticed that 98% of the posts, so it seems, are about the Pre-PA issues. There's nothing wrong with that. I wish a forum like this was around when I was applying to PA schools.

However, has this reflected a major shift in the demographics of this forum? I mean, we use to have a lot of case presentations, and other issues that deal with the practicing PA. I just wondered if other's have noticed this shift and should we recruit more practicing PAs to be a part? I know I rarely post anymore because I don't have much to add to the discussions about schools and the application process.

I think that this is seasonal. There are always a lot of pre PA posts. During the September to early February time its about interviews and who got into school. Then it goes back to more clinical/Pre-PA until the end of summer that is.

I was going to ask Michael if we could start a "woman's section" for the issues that affect women. A forum member just today answered someone who was asking about the child issue while going through PA school, that she should stay home and take care of her children. Never mind the youngest is 12, feeds and waters herself. So I guess we should all quit our jobs and let the children go hungry instead???? But you're right there are a lot of PrePA issues going on as well and most of the PA-Cs have left due to the PrePAs climbing onto the Professional PA section. Not too much can be done about that but I usually ignore the OP. I too accidently changed my browser and need to know how to change it back...

Agreed- as a student, I have less interest in this forum than I've ever had due to the white noise from the prePAs invading every subforum with questions. How hard is it for a student with a bachelors degree to post a question in the right place?

Then again, this forum has been an invaluable resource, and I hope to pay it back in the future when I have more time to post cases/critical thinking activities that I've learned while out on clinicals.

I sure do miss those case studies...hint, hint!!!

Yes! I do as well. The input from the practicing PAs to differentials and work-up is invaluable in shaping those of us who are learning. I love the quick "pop quiz" cases, the surprise cases and the stories about unusual presentations.

More please!

I agree that the forum seems to now be driven mostly by pre-pa, then pa-s, then a far minority is the PA-C

Maybe time to come up with just a professional PA page??

We have subforums for each category.

I think there are more PA-Cs that surf the forum but just don't post much since the topics are mostly prePA/PAS oriented.

"I think there are more PA-Cs that surf the forum but just don't post much since the topics are mostly prePA/PAS oriented"

Couldn't agree more. I surf just about every night for interesting topics or cases, or even just discussion. I have to admit I have become quite turned off with the number of posts from people asking to critique their personal statements, or are their grades good enough, or what's the least amount of work they can do to get in to PA school....etc etc etc.

I have not been very good at posting myself, mostly because the only chance I get to check the forum is at night when I am burned out from my own work and I usually have more notes yet to finish. I would post more if there better topics and good clinical discussion. Maybe a small step we could all take would be to try to post something interesting once a week or so...

"I think there are more PA-Cs that surf the forum but just don't post much since the topics are mostly prePA/PAS oriented"

Couldn't agree more. I surf just about every night for interesting topics or cases, or even just discussion. I have to admit I have become quite turned off with the number of posts from people asking to critique their personal statements, or are their grades good enough, or what's the least amount of work they can do to get in to PA school....etc etc etc.

I have not been very good at posting myself, mostly because the only chance I get to check the forum is at night when I am burned out from my own work and I usually have more notes yet to finish. I would post more if there better topics and good clinical discussion. Maybe a small step we could all take would be to try to post something interesting once a week or so...

I was gonna post but Jdenning said it all! I guess we PCAPers think alike...

I think that this is seasonal. There are always a lot of pre PA posts. During the September to early February time its about interviews and who got into school. Then it goes back to more clinical/Pre-PA until the end of summer that is.

No, until May, then the "critique my personal statement" starts... so you have a 3 month window!! ;)

I have to say, I don't check the forum as much as I used to, partially because of a crazy work schedule and not much downtime, partially because I get tired of wading through ALL of the pre-pa stuff, and partially because I can't stand to see the computer after 12-14+ hours of typing at work. Because of this, I haven't had time to post much in the way of cases and such. I, too, enjoy these, especially those outside of my 'specialty', as it helps me to better care for my patients.

ditto. i didn't check in for a couple years (having 2 toddlers takes up what time i have outside work), but when i started to peek in again, everything seemed oriented toward students. while it's nice to help out, people really should do their applications and preparation themselves. i did really enjoy the case presentations, i learned quite a bit during rotations. will try to keep my eyes out for interesting cases. also liked the sticky notes when i was a student.

I am quite guilty of this as well. But it's a reflection of life. My personal and professional life are going extremely well, and as a consequence the forum takes a back seat. When I surf the net now, it's mostly to turn off my brain (ie, feeding into addictions like a very special Dallas sports talk station). I certainly still do lurk, and the occasional post will pop up....which reminds me, I need to finish my blog!

I am not a frequent poster, and have been checking the forum less and less lately. My goal is to eventually contribute a case study or two that would interest both PA students and practiing PAs; haven't given up on that yet. What I do is click "New Posts", and then end up passing over 95% of them unless they have "Professional" or "Clinical Rotations" in the forum description line. (Nice to see you aren't completely vanished, v-chicky.) Really appreciate the tried-and-true who keep on posting here.

Archived