Carry briefcase or folio for interview?

It really doesn't matter! A big briefcase with nothing in it looks pretentious. If you have to carry anything, take something size-appropriate.

Dress like you are going on a job interview (which you are) and act like you would if your significant other took you to meet his or her parents. Friendly but a little reserved.

And relax already...

Good luck!

All of the programs I interviewed at did not require me to bring my resume or application. Because of this, I did not carry anything with me other than a professional looking purse for personal items (keys, wallet, etc). At my interviews, the schools also provided us with a folder containing info handouts so I just wrote all of my notes on those. I can only speak from my own experience but I don't think this is anything to lose sleep over.

Agreed though if you have to have something... folio over briefcase. The students at the interview who did have folios were carrying something like this..

portfolio_lg.jpg

For my interview I just had a black purse, not too oversized, a notebook and a pen. I saw people with really nice folios, briefcases and even professional headshots and LORs in envelopes. One of the interviewees even offered a picture to the interview coordinator (kind of weird). To be honest if the school doesn't require anything don't stress about it.

Archived