NPs as Medical Directors?

In one of my clinics, there is an NP (she has her master's) who is now our "medical director". I never heard of such a thing. Has any one else seen this? Is it even kosher? The telephone prompt even calls her "Dr. _____", which is totally inaccurate. Isn't this in violation of some law or another? She is trying to pursue her doctorate (which I"m guessing will give validity for her calling herself "doctor"), but she does not have it yet. Any advice on how to shut this BS down is appreciated.

Is the voice mail greeting in her voice? If she is introducing herself as "Doctor" but is not then there may be something not legal about this.

Her voice on the message or not, she is responsible for accuratley identifying her title and position. Misrepresenting your clinical title is illegal. Period. And whether or not she is pursuing her Doctor of Nursing degree, that degree will STILL not make her a medical doctor. In this setting it is inappropriate and negligent for her to claim this title, and identify herself as such. I would report it.

I once had a job as "associate chief, dept. of emergency medicine" in a small community hospital for 2 years. there was one overall chief and 3 associate chiefs( 2 docs and me). we met regularly to decide on matters about the dept. including hiring/firing/discipline issues, etc. I was in charge of 12 PAs/NPs(basically as the lead advanced practice clinician), I wrote the schedule, etc. It taught me a very important lesson. I hate being an administrator. 7 am mtgs after getting off work at 2 am? no thanks. I passed the slot onto another PA who I had hired after 2 years. he lasted 3 months and passed it on.

Her voice on the message or not, she is responsible for accuratley identifying her title and position. Misrepresenting your clinical title is illegal. Period. And whether or not she is pursuing her Doctor of Nursing degree, that degree will STILL not make her a medical doctor. In this setting it is inappropriate and negligent for her to claim this title, and identify herself as such. I would report it.

You and I agree.

I do know that PAs (not sure about NPs) are legally allowed to give medical direction to EMS crews. I do not know, however, if they are legally allowed to be full medical directors.

You and I agree.

I do know that PAs (not sure about NPs) are legally allowed to give medical direction to EMS crews. I do not know, however, if they are legally allowed to be full medical directors.

medical direction to EMS crews probably varies by state and/or local protocols. If I remember correctly in NYC it only says Physician in those protocols. (Also remember something about it saying the physician has to be Medical Control certified, but I could be wrong) 

What type of clinic are you at?  Do NPs have independent practice in the state you work in?  Does she own the clinic? Are clinics required to have a medical director (i.e. physician) in your state?

I have known or heard of a few instances where PAs were medical directors at remote Indian health service areas....or were they called clinic directors?   Hmmm.....those would be different roles I suppose. 

Who gave her the title medical director?

So my SP is clueless about laws and trivial things like that. I think the NP insisted that she get the title Medical Director, and yet I'm not sure how she thinks she can direct physicians? It is an urgent care clinic and there are many OSHA violations, as well as illegal practices (conflict of interest, fraud, the usual). The phone prompt is not in her voice. However, I notice that she always introduces herself as, "Jane Doe, Medical Director"... which leads people to assume that she is an MD. She does not clarify that she is an NP, ever. She squirms when people do ask her about her medical training. She worked in ortho surg for years and doesn't know much else (like how to read a chest X ray).

Plan B is not Plan B, it is Plan A~ I am running as fast and as far as I can from this place.

So I got a reply from the CA nursing board. They want to investigate. But I also sent an email to the CA medical board. Before I give out any info, I want to make sure that this person doesn't just get a little slap on the wrist. I figure the Medical board will be a little more upset about an NP trying to pass herself off as a physician than the CA nursing board. I mean, isn't that the nursing goal, to be called "doctor" without going to med school, with lies and misdirection re: PhD vs MD/DO?

You and I agree.

What we're all referring here with the term "medical director" is the person in charge of the medical care at a certain facility or portion of a hospital as provided by physicians/APP's.  

As far as PA's in EMS, when I did my research for my abstract in regards to PA's in EMS 3 years ago, I found 15 states that listed some provision in their statutes that allowed PA's to function in some way in the EMS field- whether that be full-blown medical directors (Montana is the only state that allows PA's to be stand-alone medical directors for EMS systems and doesn't list any restrictions in that regard) or function in the field without any additional certification, or even be allowed to write EMS protocols.  It's interesting that others have listed states that PA's have some role in EMS- in looking back at my research, I didn't find anything specifically listed for those states- Oregon, Washington and Ohio being the ones mentioned here.  Now, that also means that I didn't find anything prohibiting PA's functioning in EMS in some way, and my research is at least 3 years old...and it only looked at state statutes available online.   

I don't get it....what's this increase with everyone wanting to be called "doctor" ???  Are egos really getting this bad that people aren't satisfied until they have some grand title?  If a title is that important...aren't we really missing the point?  I guess I just don't get why the turf war with BON?  Does the nursing lobby really have that big a chip on their shoulder and think they should be equal with MDs? Or is this just a political power play that the BON gets billing as "top dog" in this country?

Because the degree title shows that they have greater knowledge, regardless of clinical experience (being facetious since I'm just a lowly B.S.) and more employers (primarily institutions/hospital systems) are starting to prefer the title over clinical acumen.  Joelseff, I love the avatar (as she was suffering from bronchitis when she made her statement).  All these types of topics are making me realize that "Ain't nobody got time for this"(career).

There is an NP in the hospital I work at that has a doctorate of nursing and she introduces herself as "Dr. xyz".  Makes me cringe.  If I am not mistaken she is a Dr. in the academic setting---not in the hospital. Has to be illegal in terms of misrepresentation

This is misrepresentation. Contact the higher ups, the medical board, and the nursing board.

I also don't get the desire to be called "doctor" without going to medical school. If I had a doctorate but was not an MD/DO, I'd feel like a fraud if I introduced myself as "Dr. JFarnsworth". Icky.

Archived