NPs as Medical Directors?

It would be unethical and (I believe) illegal for her to refer to herself as doctor, or for any other staff member to refer to her as "doctor", even if she successfully earns a doctorate degree.  This came up a few years ago when a PA had earned a doctorate degree and was referring to himself as "Dr. so and so."  Legally he had to stop.  It all has to do with perception.  That is, mainly the perception of the patient.  To a patient, especially in a healthcare setting, hearing someone refer to themselves as "Dr." will naturally cause them to believe that this individual is an actual medical doctor.  And that would be misleading.  If the patient was at a chiropractors office, the chiropractor would be well within his legal and ethical boundries to refer to himself as "Dr." because he is a doctor [of chiropractic science} and that is the setting he is practicing in.  This is not the same in a medical office where patients would expect that the only people who would be addressed as "Dr." are medical doctors.  It's clear to see how this could be confusing to the patient and he or she can be misled into believing they are being seen by an actual medical doctor.  This is one of the reasons why I believe that the push to make NP's obtain a doctoral degree is a mistake.  What's the point?  Is there something wrong with being an NP?  Or being refered as and NP (or PA)?  Does the industry feel the need for greater respect?  If so, why?  I think PA's and NP's should be proud of their role, their profession, and their contribution to the health and welfare of the patients they serve.  They should really hold their heads high as they take their place in the greater healthcare society.  To satisfy this "need" (or desire) with title changes only serves to minimize perceptions of their profession and water down the whole title of "doctor."  I can't help but believe that there are other (more political) reasons for this title push.  I for one am proud to be a PA and I address myself as that to all of the patients I see.

It would be unethical and (I believe) illegal for her to refer to herself as doctor, or for any other staff member to refer to her as "doctor", even if she successfully earns a doctorate degree.  This came up a few years ago when a PA had earned a doctorate degree and was referring to himself as "Dr. so and so."  Legally he had to stop.  It all has to do with perception.  That is, mainly the perception of the patient.  To a patient, especially in a healthcare setting, hearing someone refer to themselves as "Dr." will naturally cause them to believe that this individual is an actual medical doctor.  And that would be misleading.  If the patient was at a chiropractors office, the chiropractor would be well within his legal and ethical boundries to refer to himself as "Dr." because he is a doctor [of chiropractic science} and that is the setting he is practicing in.  This is not the same in a medical office where patients would expect that the only people who would be addressed as "Dr." are medical doctors.  It's clear to see how this could be confusing to the patient and he or she can be misled into believing they are being seen by an actual medical doctor.  This is one of the reasons why I believe that the push to make NP's obtain a doctoral degree is a mistake.  What's the point?  Is there something wrong with being an NP?  Or being refered as and NP (or PA)?  Does the industry feel the need for greater respect?  If so, why?  I think PA's and NP's should be proud of their role, their profession, and their contribution to the health and welfare of the patients they serve.  They should really hold their heads high as they take their place in the greater healthcare society.  To satisfy this "need" (or desire) with title changes only serves to minimize perceptions of their profession and water down the whole title of "doctor."  I can't help but believe that there are other (more political) reasons for this title push.  I for one am proud to be a PA and I address myself as that to all of the patients I see.

Well said, and I agree. The staff members do refer to her as "the doctor", as in, "the doctor will be in soon to see you", and she does not correct that misconception. The interesting thing is that I pushed for name tags with our pictures and credentials on it, and it was ignored. God forbid if a patient actually read our name tags and figured out the "doctor" is a NP!

Archived